Stood in the Fire themightysven's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Relative AMD processor power query

I have to acquire a PC for a job that requires (ugh) Internet Explorer, so I was looking at inexpensive laptops that could also handle WoW, maybe GW if I get interested. My problem is the AMD processors give no indication of how they stand up against each other. The MSR as for an Athlon, and the processors I've found are either E series (E1-1200) or A6 series (A6-4455)

Anyone know if either of these are strong enough to substitute for Athlon?
    Ewok Sith Lords are all about Agility

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you not have a PC now?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    A6's are decent enough, it's a quad core but in comparison to the dual core A4, the 6 is actually lower clocked. Stay away from the E-Series, they are just abysmal crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

10+ Year Old Account
    currently I have a mac, that was fine through Cata, but can't upgrade anymore. Mac's can't run IE. So getting a PC I've got to at least get one that can run a decent game as I can't rationalize laying out cash just for IE.

The C and E series are older and the A series are newer. The A series runs on Bulldozer/Piledriver cores, depending on model. The A series would be your best best, currently, for integrated graphics gaming.

As much as I dislike Macs, would it not be cheaper to buy a copy of Windows 7 or 8 and run Bootcamp?
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't really looked into Bootcamp (my HD, being old, is also petit)
    My perspective is that if I'm going to lay out money (even if it's only ~$400) I might as well get something that will let me enjoy my old hobby again.

Well finding a laptop that will game will run you a minimum of ~$800 bucks, and a copy of Windows 7 is like 200.

That said, the absolute best deal on a laptop right now is here.

Stick an mSATA SSD in that sucker, clone Windows 8 over, and you have a laptop that will play well for at least 3-4 years.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    Well finding a laptop that will game will run you a minimum of ~$800 bucks, and a copy of Windows 7 is like 200.

That said, the absolute best deal on a laptop right now is here.

Stick an mSATA SSD in that sucker, clone Windows 8 over, and you have a laptop that will play well for at least 3-4 years.
    If he goes AMD he can get similar performance for half that cost.
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    If he goes AMD he can get similar performance for half that cost.
    For Intenet explorer yes. For WoW and GW2 not even close to same performance.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    For Intenet explorer yes. For WoW and GW2 not even close to same performance.
    I have an A4 in my laptop and I get great framerates in WoW, all depends on how you set up the graphics in game. Yes you will have to sacrifice some features like AA and shadows but the core of the game will run flawlessly. Nobody buys a laptop specifically to game, it's an inferior platform. The APU`s are very efficiemt processors and can game quite well.

Really tired of people bashing AMD and providing no valid evidence to back it up.

Really tired of people bashing AMD and providing no valid evidence to back it up.
    If all you do is daily tillers quests and few five-man instances AMD is just as good, but in 25man raids (including LFR) the difference is huge.

GW2 is same thing in cities, and it's even more dependant on up-to-date GPU so a $500 laptop is not gonna cut it unless you want to play at minimum settings.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    If all you do is daily tillers quests and few five-man instances AMD is just as good, but in 25man raids (including LFR) the difference is huge.

GW2 is same thing in cities, and it's even more dependant on up-to-date GPU so a $500 laptop is not gonna cut it unless you want to play at minimum settings.
    Lets just agree to disagree, this argument is going to be futile anyways. I've been a hardcore AMD user for 15 years and they have never let me down, whereas every Intel chip I've ever owned has given me issues.

Lets just agree to disagree, this argument is going to be futile anyways. I've been a hardcore AMD user for 15 years and they have never let me down, whereas every Intel chip I've ever owned has given me issues.
    People lie more often than benchmarks.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    People lie more often than benchmarks.
    So now you've moved to insulting me personally by calling me a liar, wow I was being polite.

So now you've moved to insulting me personally by calling me a liar, wow I was being polite.
    Get off your soapbox before you fall and hurt yourself and bury your head back in the sand so that you don't see what's happening out there. Point was that a) I could be lying to you telling AMD is shit or b) you could be telling lies, or c) somebody else here could be lying their arses off claiming AMD is shit...

It still does not change the fact that every single benchmark shows AMD sucks in single-thread performance, ie. games.
    Trolling should be.

I think what many AMD fans are saying (Yes, I call them fans/fanbois cuz they will not admit to facts, ever) is that in a real world scenario, you might not be able to tell the difference between an AMD and an intel. And truth be told, many people can't. Like, ALOT of people can't. Alot of people don't even know what AMD is.

A gamer, like you and me and the people on these forums, we CAN tell the difference between AMD and intel and it's relatively large for gaming. Less so for office tasks etc. But for gaming, it is significant. Point was: Some people only want it as cheap as possible and don't care about performance, if they prefer AMD because of that, fine with me. Not necessary to go into a fight to settle if AMD is shit or not tbh.

15+ Year Old Account
    AMD A6-4455M for $400
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834312242

AMD A8-4500M for $450
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834131444

Sure, Intel notebooks with dedicated cards are faster, but also start at a considerably higher price (more like $600 and up)
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    on your typical facebook/office machine, there is no difference between an Intel CPU, an AMD CPU, or a potato

once you get into gaming that changes, and hand's down Intel wins, but thats not to say that AMD is useless for gaming, it's just not as good as Intel, we are talking the difference between gold and silver at the Olympics, meanwhile ARM and consoles are sitting on their couch and can't even be bothered to use a treadmill

10+ Year Old Account
    Get off your soapbox before you fall and hurt yourself and bury your head back in the sand so that you don't see what's happening out there. Point was that a) I could be lying to you telling AMD is shit or b) you could be telling lies, or c) somebody else here could be lying their arses off claiming AMD is shit...

It still does not change the fact that every single benchmark shows AMD sucks in single-thread performance, ie. games.
    vesseblah I owe you an apology, I misinterpreted your statement and took it the wrong way. BTW I couldn't fall off my soapbox, I installed guard rails for safety. :P