10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a laptop that I can game and work on for approx. £800

Hello, so, I am looking for a laptop that I can buy for work and play games such a WoW on ideally on max/high settings. I work 12 hour night shifts so I want a laptop that I can play on when it's quiet as my current laptop is worn out.

I'm not fussed about battery life as I can plug it in.

My budget is around £800.

I was looking at the Acer Aspire V3-571G
    2.4GH i7
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    nVidia GeForce GT 640M 2GB
    15'
    1TB HDD

Do you think this is suitable for the job? obviously I don't own one or know anyone who owns one so I can test it out.

If you know of any laptops that you would suggest, within the region of £800, please let me know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymeat View Post
    Hello, so, I am looking for a laptop that I can buy for work and play games such a WoW on ideally on max/high settings. I work 12 hour night shifts so I want a laptop that I can play on when it's quiet as my current laptop is worn out.

I'm not fussed about battery life as I can plug it in.

My budget is around £800.

I was looking at the Acer Aspire V3-571G
    2.4GH i7
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    nVidia GeForce GT 640M 2GB
    15'
    1TB HDD

Do you think this is suitable for the job? obviously I don't own one or know anyone who owns one so I can test it out.

If you know of any laptops that you would suggest, within the region of £800, please let me know. Thanks.
    Scrounge up another 80 pounds and get this thing:

http://shop.lenovo.com/gbweb/gb/en/l.../y-series/y580

No regrets, awesome rig.

EDIT: I believe the GB version says "16GB 5400 RPM" under the HDD header because it's the model with a 500 or 750 GB 5400 HDD and a 16GB SSD cache drive. I would confirm this with Lenovo prior to ordering however.

That said, this machine is a beast.

Better processor (3610 vs 3630), better GPU (640 vs 660). Unfortunate that the res is the same, I guess laptops are just super fucking expensive in the UK.
    Last edited by Grraarrgghh; 2013-01-22 at 08:20 PM.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

10+ Year Old Account
    Silly question really but I'm rubbish with laptops, would a nVidia GeForce 710M be better than a 660? Usually higher numbers are a good thing!
    Just looking around throwing about ideas, but that laptop you linked Grraa is a beast

Nope, the 710M is literally a re-branded 620M. NVidia has a tendency to do some shady stuff with low-end video cards.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

10+ Year Old Account
    Grr i've PM'd you

I would probably suggest looking for something with at least a 650m (1278 bench) or 660m (1601 bench) GPU. the 640 is a pretty low powered GPU and you may find you are unhappy with it while gaming. For reference the 640 scored a 882 on GPU benchmark (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php). I have a laptop running the amd firepro m5959 (admitedly this is an autocad card) which scores ~1250 and I can run wow on medium -> high setting while being able to maintain a high fps all the time.

It is well worth the extra money to get a bigger GPU and you should be able to for the price point you want. I would suggest some laptops but they are the US version not from an EU store.

10+ Year Old Account
    i was looking at this : http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-a...14904-pdt.html - i can get it for £750 ish, obviously not from PC world, just the place I know doesn't have a site.

the cpu and ram are overkill but wow runs quite well on higher cpu's - obviously the gpu helps too.