Thread: Warlock PvP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    I appreciate the inputs .. this was all really helpful

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Umm, if this is about 2s, whatever you do, don't play as affliction, especially not with a healer.



    Great example of a clueless and bad player here.
    Affliction destroys nothing, outside dark soul it bring no pressure nor burst. With dark soul it brings some pressure, but still no burst, unless you meet people with no resilience, but in that case, everything seems like burst.
    Lets mention as well that any healer that's competent enough to dispel doom will dispel all your affliction dots and haunt as well, because, why wouldn't they?

    And lets be honest, any geared healer will laugh in your face at your damage in 2s, even if you cc them and pop all your cooldowns. 1 single dispel and your damage is gone, 1 single stun/fear/poly/whatever, and you don't do any damage.... If you think anyone decent lets you free cast, you are wrong, but even then, you aren't a threat to them.

    And lol at trying to kill the healer instead of the dps... Ever heard of LoS? Even 1.5k rated healers know how to (ab)use it.
    Not sure why so mad and hostile, probably because you are unable to play affliction unless is Affliction Cata...

    When I said Affliction has burst, I didn't said it has burst ONLY with DARK SOUL... I also mentioned a couple of other things, like ON USE TRINKET, JADE SPIRIT proc, LIGHTWEAVE EMBROIDERY proc and paladin MASTERY BUFF... This combined, gives a lot of damage, saying the damage it's crap even with all these buffs it's... i don't even... Plus with CC, fear, mortal coil, pet silence, paladin stun...

    As for the difference between dispelling Demo dots (Doom) and Affliction dots, if you don't know what is the difference, if you ask stuff like "Lets mention as well that any healer that's competent enough to dispel doom will dispel all your affliction dots and haunt as well, because, why wouldn't they?" makes you clueless and bad

    It takes 15 seconds (unaffected by haste) for Doom to deal damage... You apply Doom, 14 seconds pass, when Doom is about to tick, they dispell it... On the other side, Affliction dots deal damage every 2 seconds, even if they dispell them, they still will do SOME DAMAGE inbetween dispell CD, that was my point... Let alone UA has some dispell protection... THAT is the big difference I was talking about...

    All you posted in this thread instead of trying to help the OP was random rant about how crap warlock specs are and how much knowledge you have about the warlock class, nothing even remotely usefull...

    Affliction is not the spec it was, nor Warlocks are the class they used to be, but still they are fun and can be played at decent, high ratings.... The PROBLEM is... no one even tries to play Affliction, especially in 2s, since this was the topic, Warlock in 2v2 bracket... I queue 2s every week with a RL mate, a lot of games, for fun... and I probably met in 4 months since MoP was released like 4 or 5 Warlock/healer and 2 or 3 warlock/dps... people are not even trying...

    I suggest you learn to play, no joking or anything.

  3. #23
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan View Post
    Not sure why so mad and hostile probably because you are unable to play affliction unless is Affliction Cata...

    When I said Affliction has burst, I didn't said it has burst ONLY with DARK SOUL... I also mentioned a couple of other things, like ON USE TRINKET, JADE SPIRIT proc, LIGHTWEAVE EMBROIDERY proc and paladin MASTERY BUFF... This combined, gives a lot of damage, saying the damage it's crap even with all these buffs it's... i don't even... Plus with CC, fear, mortal coil, pet silence, paladin stun...

    As for the difference between dispelling Demo dots (Doom) and Affliction dots, if you don't know what is the difference, if you ask stuff like "Lets mention as well that any healer that's competent enough to dispel doom will dispel all your affliction dots and haunt as well, because, why wouldn't they?" makes you clueless and bad

    It takes 15 seconds (unaffected by haste) for Doom to deal damage... You apply Doom, 14 seconds pass, when Doom is about to tick, they dispell it... On the other side, Affliction dots deal damage every 2 seconds, even if they dispell them, they still will do SOME DAMAGE inbetween dispell CD, that was my point... Let alone UA has some dispell protection... THAT is the big difference I was talking about...

    All you posted in this thread instead of trying to help the OP was random rant about how crap warlock specs are and how much knowledge you have about the warlock class, nothing even remotely usefull...

    Affliction is not the spec it was, nor Warlocks are the class they used to be, but still they are fun and can be played at decent, high ratings.... The PROBLEM is... no one even tries to play Affliction, especially in 2s, since this was the topic, Warlock in 2v2 bracket... I queue 2s every week with a RL mate, a lot of games, for fun... and I probably met in 4 months since MoP was released like 4 or 5 Warlock/healer and 2 or 3 warlock/dps... people are not even trying...

    I suggest you learn to play, no joking or anything.
    I'm not mad, nor hostile, I'm sorry if I made it look like that, but I'm just saying how it is.
    And noone plays affliction in 2s because it's impossible to get kills with it. There's a reason there is not a single affliction warlock above 2.2k in 2s... >.<

    And without dark soul, unless you have haunt, MG and every other proc up, your damage is shit, and guess what, as soon as cast a haunt, someone gets dispelled, so no damage.

    Affliction works in 2s at 1.5k rating, just like every other spec in game. You can even go double healer and reach that rating because people at that rating are just incompetent. No offense.

    And people bother a lot less about dispelled doom than about dispelling affliction dots. Dispelling doom will negate some predictable damage, dispelling an affliction warlock on the other hand will negate a a ton of damage.

    And I need to learn to play? I've proven myself to be an amazing warlockplayer, having multiple glad tittles as well as multiple realm first bosskills, what did you achieve?
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-01-24 at 11:09 AM.

  4. #24
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    And I need to learn to play? I've proven myself to be an amazing warlockplayer, having multiple glad tittles as well as multiple realm first bosskills, what did you achieve?
    Could be (that's a strong if though) but on these forums so far you've proven nothing else besides talking out of a backside orifice.
    WBMA - Leave our beards alone

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

    Family reroll project on Defias Brotherhood, poke me

  5. #25
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Could be (that's a strong if though) but on these forums so far you've proven nothing else besides talking out of a backside orifice.
    The OP asked for advice for 2s, playing with a holy paladin and I said that he shouldn't play affliction since it's terrible for 2s. Both demonology and destruction are a lot better for that. He didn't say: "I'm going to play this spec with that comp, give me advice on how it works", he wanted advice on what spec to choose and he got it, don't play affliction.

    Someone else, who is clearly low rated, comes to tell how great affliction + healer is, and I say it's not, that he's just meeting terrible and undergeared people, which is true as well, otherwise he would be high rated and we wouldn't have this discussion.
    I just reread the first few lines of that guys post, and what I see is that he just writes the opposite how it actually is, and I just have to disagree with him on that. I want people to know how it is, people go in discussion with me and guess what, it's hard to make it clear to lesser skilled players how it actually is, since they see balance different.

    I'm sorry if I sound rude, arrogant, mad or whatever, it's not my intention. The OP asked a rather simple and unspecific answer, and I can't give more than a simple general answer on that and it's easier to say: don't do that because of that reason instead of do this for this reason or that for that reason.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Could be (that's a strong if though) but on these forums so far you've proven nothing else besides talking out of a backside orifice.
    no.

    he's right, and you two clowns are clouding the issue because you've had [i assume] some success playing aff in bullsh*t brackets.

    you cant compete at decent rating without a class who's burst is over the top (warrior etc), period. and aff doesnt have finishing damage. minimal burst at the expense of a major cd and all your resources [shards].

    it's been said over and over by glads and R1s in streams and forums and experienced by the competent general warlock public. people arent stacking mastery and glyphing UA because they hate silence and haste.

    there is no argument here. if you don't know then you don't know..but stop sending people who want to reroll the wrong message.

    no decent 2s team should lose to aff + X..ummm.. ever. it's silly to even have to say that to people who claim to play the class right now.

    it's a support / damage spec, that's a 3s spec. has been for a while but now much more than ever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahada View Post
    The devs aren't stupid.

  7. #27
    So I am currently using 2-1-2-3-1-2 or Soul Leach, Howl of Terror, Sac Pact, Unbound Will, Grim Sup, KJ Cunning... I noticed that alot of people considered Blood Fear to be a better choice unfamiliar to how it works I avoided it due to the cost of health is that worth specing into over Unbound Will? There also seems to be a favorable majority of Grim of Sac over Grim of Sup which im assuming is because of the damage increase but i would have figured the pet damage would be worth having. I again appreciate all this conversations going on in this post. I am learning alot from what is being argued.

  8. #28
    So I am currently using 2-1-2-3-1-2 or Soul Leach, Howl of Terror, Sac Pact, Unbound Will, Grim Sup, KJ Cunning... I noticed that alot of people considered Blood Fear to be a better choice unfamiliar to how it works I avoided it due to the cost of health is that worth specing into over Unbound Will?
    Soul leach is pretty bad for pvp, you will rarely make it worth, I advise you to take Dark regen, atleast it's one more surv CD

    Howl/Coil/Shadowfury is situational, you can change them in arena prep, I like coil against warrior, howl against other melee, and SF if there is no one around to DR with stun

    I used to really favor unbound will at first, but seriously, blood fear isnt only the best choice, it's mandatory, as long as you have a pocket healer the health cost is expendable

    I play with both sup and sac, I really like Sup but some comp/people really like to kill your pet over and over again and there is little you can do about it
    Last edited by Gangresnake; 2013-01-24 at 08:46 PM.

  9. #29
    Thanks.. all this is really helpful.

  10. #30
    What stats should I reforge to Mastery Haste?

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezmarz View Post
    What stats should I reforge to Mastery Haste?
    try to leave haste alone.. get hit capped @ 6% -> mastery from any other stat..thats for affliction..

    i dont play enough destro to know what you're stacking but i would assume it would be the same since mastery is so good, and CB is guranteed to crit and incinerate is filler [losing haste would be worse than losing crit benefit-wise].

    have a look at the ladders and inspect some locks
    Last edited by Lulbalance; 2013-01-26 at 06:19 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahada View Post
    The devs aren't stupid.

  12. #32
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    try to leave haste alone.. get hit capped @ 6% -> mastery from any other stat..thats for affliction..

    i dont play enough destro to know what you're stacking but i would assume it would be the same since mastery is so good, and CB is guranteed to crit and incinerate is filler [losing haste would be worse than losing crit benefit-wise].

    have a look at the ladders and inspect some locks
    Affliction: Spell Hit (6%) > Resilience > PvP power > Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Crit
    Demonology: Spell Hit (6%) > Resilience > PvP power > Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Crit
    Destruction: Spell Hit (6%) > Resilience > PvP power> Intellect > Mastery > Crit > Haste

    As for gemming, always pure Resilience in a yellow socket.
    If gem bonus is Resilience, you fill red sockets with orange Resilience + Intellect gems and blue sockets with PvP power + Resilience.
    If gem bonus is not Resilience, fill your red and blue sockets with yellow Resilience gems.

    Now, you can always decide to ignore this if you feel you are doing fine on surviving and gem for more PvP power and Intellect for more damage, however, for less experienced players, I suggest to stick this.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-01-26 at 08:44 PM.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    For all 3 speces, mastery is the way to go once you are hitcapped.
    its good to be right.

    but most of that was about secondary stats that he has to reforge out of.. for example; no affliction lock would reforge haste out in favor of mastery if you can avoid it at all.

    for that part i duno for sure what it is for destro atm... or demo since i would never play that mongo spec <3. if you do.. you should add it to your post to help him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahada View Post
    The devs aren't stupid.

  14. #34
    My Stats

    Health372021 Mana300000
    Base

    Intellect9616
    Stamina15068
    Mastery53.32%
    Other

    Spell Power14757
    Haste8.38%
    Hit+3.02%
    Crit11.44%
    PvP Resilience60.57%
    PvP Power26.16%

  15. #35
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezmarz View Post
    My Stats

    Health372021 Mana300000
    Base

    Intellect9616
    Stamina15068
    Mastery53.32%
    Other

    Spell Power14757
    Haste8.38%
    Hit+3.02%
    Crit11.44%
    PvP Resilience60.57%
    PvP Power26.16%
    It would be easier if you provided your armory. Stats are a bit useless when you can't see the gear, but from what I can see now already is that you don't have the 6% Spell Hitcap

  16. #36
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    273
    Niberion is spot on about the current state of locks, to the other two posters who think affliction is ok, you're looking at things through rose tinted 1500mmr glasses. Sure at that rating playing with a healer in twos is viable since half the teams you meet are retard double dps just trying to cap points, so yeah a few haunted sb:ss under DS is going to do a lot of damage/pressure. And let's not forget the fact that the gear gap in teams is at its largest between 1500-1800 rating.

    Go play 2k plus where the majority of teams have equal gear so you have to rely on skill rather than popping cool downs to win and come back and tell us how well you do as affliction with zero damage as every 8s your dots are gone to a no risk dispell, and try playing with a 1.7s cast fear on piller humping Druids/palas who don't need to cast or a resto shammy with 30s tremor and grounding totem. Trust me their mana never drops below 85% sick pressure huh?? Oh and let us also know how you get on with a warrior pretty much balls deep in you ass the whole game fucking you like a giant silver back gorilla or a bm hunter forcing your CDs without blowing his all while never having to stop moving and chaining cc after cc into your healer.

    Locks are free kills to most teams, its just open on the lock force cds, cc healer force trinket, wait on dr cc healer blow up the lock. Cause at no point do they have to go defensive because your pressure is non existant cause of dispels or being locked out of channeling mg which locks your cc out as well, locks are not in a good place come 5.2 especially with all that and the rise of our nemises rogue buddies being buffed to death, looking forward to being solo'd in a bomb with no out just sayin.......
    Last edited by villie; 2013-01-27 at 01:03 PM.

  17. #37
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Mezmarz/simple

    After some gear upgrades and reforging I have increased my Hit to the hit cap of 6%. Up until last night I had kept two pieces of crafted i450 because of the 400 resil set bonus. I replaced the gloves last night and gemmed it with +320 resil gem to make up the loss from the set bonus until i collect another 300 conquest to replace my remaining i450 piece.

    Also had a hell of a time trying to deal with monks.. mainly due to my lack of knowledge about their healing spec or monk class in general but ran into this monk hunter combo.. very long match which resulted in a loss but could barely do dmg to him... without doing too much research into it are they are solid healing class or is my lack of pvp knowledge putting me at a disadvantage on how to down him.

  18. #38
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezmarz View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Mezmarz/simple

    After some gear upgrades and reforging I have increased my Hit to the hit cap of 6%. Up until last night I had kept two pieces of crafted i450 because of the 400 resil set bonus. I replaced the gloves last night and gemmed it with +320 resil gem to make up the loss from the set bonus until i collect another 300 conquest to replace my remaining i450 piece.
    That's a good thing. Not much you can improve about your gear right now except changing a few gems as I've explained above and using some more expensive enchants, but I don't think that's the issue right now.

    Also had a hell of a time trying to deal with monks.. mainly due to my lack of knowledge about their healing spec or monk class in general but ran into this monk hunter combo.. very long match which resulted in a loss but could barely do dmg to him... without doing too much research into it are they are solid healing class or is my lack of pvp knowledge putting me at a disadvantage on how to down him.
    Monks just happen to be a troublesome class for casters, mainly for 1 reason, it's near impossible to free cast against a monk that knows how to use his tools, or rather tool.

    I think one of the main issues you have with monk is that they have an interrupt on a 15sec cooldown that will silence you for 4sec if the monk is facing you, regardless of being interrupted or not. For casters that depend a lot on hardcasting, that spell is just retarded, nothing you can do about it, and amazing mobility.

    Another issue with the whole hunter/monk comp is that you may have is that it is extremely easy for a hunter to survive, or rather avoid, the burst of 1 single dps.
    Hunters have a lot of instant cc, in addition to deterrence. Getting a chaosbolt off, without being interrupted by cc or having it reflected back at your face is not an easy thing.

    The only thing I can think off, to win against a mistweaver/hunter team as destro/holydin, is getting one of them low enough with instant spells, getting both cc'ed at the same time and then landing that chaosbolt with cooldowns to finish one of them off. You are pretty much doomed to lose against any team that knows how to interrupt your spells, unless you somehow manage to get a nice cc chain going and manage to get a nice chaosbolt off during that, and sadly enough, most teams have the tools to ruin your day...
    And just as a reminder, when a mistweaver gets stunned, he'll avoid all attacks for 2sec.

    Warlock in 2s, are pretty bad, especially when playing with a healer, and I've said that many times already, and a comp like hunter/monk shows why. If you can't get casts off, you do little damage, and since you are the one supposed to do all the damage, you aren't going to win.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by villie View Post
    Niberion is spot on about the current state of locks, to the other two posters who think affliction is ok, you're looking at things through rose tinted 1500mmr glasses. Sure at that rating playing with a healer in twos is viable since half the teams you meet are retard double dps just trying to cap points, so yeah a few haunted sb:ss under DS is going to do a lot of damage/pressure. And let's not forget the fact that the gear gap in teams is at its largest between 1500-1800 rating.

    Go play 2k plus where the majority of teams have equal gear so you have to rely on skill rather than popping cool downs to win and come back and tell us how well you do as affliction with zero damage as every 8s your dots are gone to a no risk dispell, and try playing with a 1.7s cast fear on piller humping Druids/palas who don't need to cast or a resto shammy with 30s tremor and grounding totem. Trust me their mana never drops below 85% sick pressure huh?? Oh and let us also know how you get on with a warrior pretty much balls deep in you ass the whole game fucking you like a giant silver back gorilla or a bm hunter forcing your CDs without blowing his all while never having to stop moving and chaining cc after cc into your healer.

    Locks are free kills to most teams, its just open on the lock force cds, cc healer force trinket, wait on dr cc healer blow up the lock. Cause at no point do they have to go defensive because your pressure is non existant cause of dispels or being locked out of channeling mg which locks your cc out as well, locks are not in a good place come 5.2 especially with all that and the rise of our nemises rogue buddies being buffed to death, looking forward to being solo'd in a bomb with no out just sayin.......
    I was commenting that almost all the ranked locks play affliction. I didn't say it was great, just better, than the other two specs, or you'd see fewer affliction locks at the top and more of the other specs. Now, there aren't enough locks in the top brackets, and that's due to the state of the class. I never said that affliction was fine, just that there must be a reason the top locks are taking it.

  20. #40
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    I was commenting that almost all the ranked locks play affliction. I didn't say it was great, just better, than the other two specs, or you'd see fewer affliction locks at the top and more of the other specs. Now, there aren't enough locks in the top brackets, and that's due to the state of the class. I never said that affliction was fine, just that there must be a reason the top locks are taking it.
    Source that all ranked locks play affliction?
    3v3
    2v2

    Clearly shows that affliction is not the most played warlock spec for arena, and the only reason that affliction is above demonology is due people logging off in their affliction PvE spec.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •