Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Whens the "next big game"?

I feel like there hasn't really been "big game" in quite some time now. I'm mainly talking about games like WoW, CoD, LoL, CS and Halo a new IP. I know theres more but those games have been going strong for awhile now. When do you guys think a new big game will come out that will be played for years? There's a few that imo that could be really successful, obviously the big one is Titan. I know we don't really know much about it but it is a Blizzard game and their games are pretty good and its going to be a MMO and they seem to know what they're doing in that category. A few more that come to mind are Wildstar, ESO and that new game Bungie is making called Destiny. Just something I was thinking about what are your guys opinions?
    Last edited by Last Attempt; 2013-05-15 at 12:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to predict a game's success is ultimately pointless.

So many games that have been hyped as the "next big thing" have been such a colossal letdown I dont want to let myself get hyped up worrying about that anymore (see: Star Wars, Rift, Star Trek Online..well..any star trek game ever actually...Resident Evil..the list goes on)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Trying to predict a game's success is ultimately pointless.
    Not really. You can objectively view the design of the game, the marketing/PR, the current market, and other aspects and factor them into an analysis of the games possibilities of success/failure, and scale of that success/failure.

There are people who are literally paid to do this. Like, it's their job.

Deleted
    I was playing the new D&D MMO Neverwinter last night and it absolutely hums with potential. There are a few things that need brushing up but hey, it is in beta!

Deleted
    i actually don't care that much about "big titles" ... my main issue is that i have fun playing. if that goal is achieved i'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryax View Post
    I was playing the new D&D MMO Neverwinter last night and it absolutely hums with potential. There are a few things that need brushing up but hey, it is in beta!
    I agree, I was having a lot of fun with it and it only has time to improve its really good for being F2P. The only thing I'd like to see them do with it is: A hunter class, raids and bigger BGs. Which they said they want to add all those things already so just gotta wait.
    Last edited by Last Attempt; 2013-05-15 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    I agree, I was having a lot of fun with it and it only has time to improve its really good for being F2P.
    The intrusive hand of the cash shop won't ever leave the game unfortunately. Despite being a game based on DnD, it's never going to see the kind of large scale commercial success and popularity of the games you listed in your OP. As a PC exclusive MMO with a small marketing budget, developed by a lesser known developer with a spotty track record (Champions Online has some serious issues), and published by a publisher known to have horrible cash shops in their games, its potential for massive success is rather limited.

Deleted
    pikmin 3 in august.

seriously though i dont have any interest in many games.. watch dogs looks okay, GTA.. meh. im only really looking forward to pikmin and wildstar and success to both is still up in the air.. hopefully they do well but who knows.
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-05-15 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    pikmin 3 in august.
    Not commenting on the quality of the games (heard they're fun), but Pikmin is hardly a "big" franchise in terms of financials or popularity. It has its core fanbase and it does well, but it's not like any of the games outlined in the OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Not commenting on the quality of the games (heard they're fun), but Pikmin is hardly a "big" franchise in terms of financials or popularity. It has its core fanbase and it does well, but it's not like any of the games outlined in the OP.
    i have no illusions on how big pikmin is but when its one of the only titles worth getting and potentially a system seller it could do very well (i can see wii u bundles with it).. i wouldnt put CS as "big game" as it sells consistently over time rather than a massive wave at launch

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I personally am having a great time with Rift right now though, after being burned out of WoW a bit ... It's the same gameplay I like, but completely fresh (different classes, raids and dungeons etc...) And my realm feels more active and busier than my last WoW realm.. So there's some old games out there still with great fun to be had too if you're used to WoW.
    Yeah, I tried it up until the free trial level 20 but I can't wait for it to go F2P so I can see whats its like a 60 the raiding actually looks pretty good from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Last Attempt; 2013-05-15 at 11:12 AM.

What about GTA 5? You said a games that people play for years well a lot of people are still playing gta 4 or even the online SA. For me It's a game with endless possibilities though It's comming first on console so pc gamers have to wait longer for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Souls Series? The next title, Dark Souls 2, is coming in "soon".

Also, what about, well, Minecraft? xD

(And for me personally, the last "Big game" was the newest Fire Emblem)

I don't play any shooters and I know nothing about Halo or CS except that they exist.

But I can tell you what made LoL, WoW, CoD and if you'll allow me to add Minecraft, are so succesful. They all fill niches that barely existed before. LoL is one of the first generations of DotA-style stand-alone games, and has for the longest time really only had 1 competitor in the field.
    WoW brought the extremely hardcore genre of games, MMORPGs, to a much wider audience by making a more casual and less punishing game experience than anything that came before in the genre.
    CoD did a very similar thing to the competitive fps genre, They made an easier shooter that everyone can play and be decent at, instead of the much more difficult and high-speed gameplay that games like the Unreal Tournament and Quake had.
    And Minecraft also created a new genre. A type of game that people didn't know they wanted because it didn't exist. Coupled with the fact that it came out at the exact right time for youtube and social media, it got more free advertising than anything ever.

The flip side is that these kind of new genres and niches are becoming harder to find. and entrenchment from already highly successful franchises makes it harder to compete in the existing genres. When will the next big thing be a reality? I have no idea. But it's going to happen less and less as the industry matures
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridethelight View Post
    What about GTA 5?
    Like I said, I know theres more than just what I listed but I'm mostly talking about a BRAND NEW game that we've never seen before that becomes really big.

My guess? Early 2015. That is when Torment is supposed to be out :>

But really...
    MMO - nothing major is announced, except titan, which won't be out till 2015 at least probably.
    RPG - Torment @ 2015, thats it i think really (from the "potential to become huge" list, not from the "awesome game" list. No hating!)
    RTS - dont see anything apart from SC2:LOTV, but that doesnt really count since SC2 is already out.
    FPS - was never a fan, so not paying much attention.
    We dream, we dream.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Title is misleading, when i read next big games, i start thinking about big hyped games on the horizon like watch dogs, witcher 3, gta5 or cyberpunk 2077.

But the op is actually only reffering to online multiplayer game i guess. CoD franchise is not dying anytime soon, could be alive for the next ten years for all i know, so is fifa, madden, nfs.

Titan definetely got the hype. BF4 gonna be succesful as well, simply because it will refine on a succesful genre. But a brand new franchise or genre widly succesful as online play is hard to predict.

Could be an mmo that break out the mold of leveling then straight to endgame in a never changing persistant world. An mmo that break from the GCD hotkey, auto target mmo, that succesfully implement a new combat and progression system (not necessarly by character level).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    My guess? Early 2015. That is when Torment is supposed to be out :>

But really...
    MMO - nothing major is announced, except titan, which won't be out till 2015 at least probably.
    RPG - Torment @ 2015, thats it i think really (from the "potential to become huge" list, not from the "awesome game" list. No hating!)
    RTS - dont see anything apart from SC2:LOTV, but that doesnt really count since SC2 is already out.
    FPS - was never a fan, so not paying much attention.

Nothing major on the MMO front? Wildstar says hello.
    Chezk it outs.

Imo, that will be the next big thing.
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

Deleted
    SP: Prey 2 and/or Last of us
    MP: Dayz standalone and/or BF4 and/or COD:Ghost
    MMO: Titan and/or Black desert online

That is my predication. I am a wizard so this will happen.-