1. #1
    Field Marshal kinderfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia, Queensland
    Posts
    85

    So an interesting question I found online to do with Warlocks

    So with roleplaying as a Blood Elf Warlock, would it be correct to assume that my character would have to hide his true power from people posing as a Mage? Or just a random Alchemist or commoner?

    Or would Warlocks be readily accepted in garrosh’s horde? Considering how readily he uses things like the cracken and dark shaman?

    Quite honestly I think given the state of things in the Horde at the moment that they would be used alot more then usual and welcomed but i'm no lore expert.
    The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death.

  2. #2
    Yes.

    While they're used in combat (even the Alliance uses warlocks), back home it would not be very intelligent to go through the streets of Orgrimmar (or really any capital save the Undercity and possibly Silvermoon) with your demon out or any sign of your power, really.

    The current state of the Horde is an ironic hypocrisy, but I do not think that warlocks are celebrated any more than before... even less, considering the blood elves no longer need them as a way to satiate their addiction. I think they're more tolerated in blood elven society than most others, since they WERE a solution and they DID help... but I think their popularity will be dwindling over the coming years.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Yes.

    While they're used in combat (even the Alliance uses warlocks), back home it would not be very intelligent to go through the streets of Orgrimmar (or really any capital save the Undercity and possibly Silvermoon) with your demon out or any sign of your power, really.

    The current state of the Horde is an ironic hypocrisy, but I do not think that warlocks are celebrated any more than before... even less, considering the blood elves no longer need them as a way to satiate their addiction. I think they're more tolerated in blood elven society than most others, since they WERE a solution and they DID help... but I think their popularity will be dwindling over the coming years.
    Madgod pretty much nailed it on the head.

    Warlocks, along with those such as demon hunters, will never be openly tolerated. The only place I see giving them any sort of haven is the Undercity, possibly Silvermoon (However, with the SUnwell's recent restoration as a fount of Arcane and Holy (Naaru-based Light), Blood Elves no longer need to rely on Fel magic to satiate their addiction, and may turn from using Warlock magiks).

    In the Sin'dorei sense, I see Warlock being slowly replaced with priests and paladins as the years go by, while they continue in small numbers elsewhere, with the greatest population of them in the Undercity.

    Even if Garrosh uses them readily, he still opposes demonic power users, and is as likely to use them as he is to decapitate them for being in his presence.

  4. #4
    Field Marshal kinderfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia, Queensland
    Posts
    85
    This helps and also confuses me a little, any advice on how to roleplay a warlock at all? I was thinking of taking on the posing a magister route.
    The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death.

  5. #5
    Role-player Khorianas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Hall of Blood
    Posts
    1,161
    While what Shadow-cleave and Maddy say is true, this development doesn't stop your character to be somewhat open about being a warlock. Assuming again you are a bloodelf, you could just argue that you don't trust in the permanence of the new sunwell, and just keep to your ways as a fall back solution. While summoning a demon surely is forbidden in every city, lying to pose as a magister is not completely necessary. You will be handling a fair amount of hostilities though. You could even throw the mentioned hipocricy back into your accusers face. So what I want to say you can also play a warlock in a confrontational way.

  6. #6
    High Overlord Rockwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Batcave
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by kinderfield View Post
    This helps and also confuses me a little, any advice on how to roleplay a warlock at all? I was thinking of taking on the posing a magister route.
    I don't think that you could be able to hide that you are a warlock, especially to other blood elves. Word would get around that your character uses demons, shadow magic, and calls down flaming rocks from the heavens. Now depending on how you would want to play your blood-elf, he could be an ex-mage that choose to be a warlock when Kael introduced the Blood elves to demon magic. So he would hold himself like a century old mage would. Or you could go down the route of young blood elf seduced by the great power of demons, yet still loyal to his people. You could even RP as one of the returning Sunfury after Kael was killed for a second time. However, the blood elf society is pretty close knit. After Arthas killing 90% of the elves and Kael taking the best to get killed in either Northrend or Outland, there is not many blood elves left. So think small town type of community of blood elves. Warlocks may train in secret but they are not a secret.

    So first question: Is your Warlock an old or young blood elf?

    Second: What did he do before he was a warlock?
    (warlocks were re-introduced to elf culture around a decade ago [plus or minus some years] in Wow time.

    Third: What is your warlock's specialty. I would think being a destruction warlock (ie Fire mage that more or less went over board)would go over better with blood elves than Demonology. Also Affliction is the art on how to make people sick with shadow magic.

    Fourth How does being a warlock impact your character's story, personality, etc.



    Now people can correct me if I am wrong, but only the alliance human warlocks are likely to hide what they do.

  7. #7
    Alliance warlocks on the whole are probably more likely to hide their powers than others. Horde warlocks will probably keep their demons in the nether until needed when outside of Undercity/Silvermoon.

    As a blood elf, you can be incredibly old, someone who may have been dabbling in secret for a long time, only now able to more openly practice, or a recent convert due to Kael'thas and all that.

    Irregardless, unless you are in battle or one of the few places warlocks are tolerated, I'd say make yourself seem as magey as possible. Wear lots of blue, and a pointy hat. Or perhaps purple, with a Kirin Tor tabard. That'll throw them off!
    Ultraxion yells: I am the beginning of buttonclickers...the button which blots out my wipe mechanic...the click which tolls my doom...
    Ultraxion yells: For this moment ALONE was I made. Look upon your button, mortals, and click!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    Madgod pretty much nailed it on the head.
    There is a matter of semantics, however "nailing something on the head" is NOT the same as hitting a NAIL on the head, two completely different forms of thought. One refers to an execution style bludgeoning... which is a brutal way to die and the other is a metaphor to create an imagery to explain how accurately it was depicted... so changing things up is ok, but you have to be in the same context... making a different definition entirely not so much...

    Just FYI... I am probably the only person that will ever care about this, but since that phrase is used so often it stood out...

    The correct form should therefore be: Madgod pretty much hit the nail on the head

    Mod edit: posting essentially to correct someone's grammar is not allowed here.
    Last edited by The Mister Madgod; 2013-02-12 at 09:12 PM.

  9. #9
    The Patient h44mm00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    QLD, Australia
    Posts
    296
    For me, I would say that Blood Elf Warlocks are begrudgingly accepted - many Mages and Priests would have transitioned to the use of Fel energy to fuel their powers (and therefore became Warlocks in some form or another). The small amount of Blood Elves that are left, simply cannot really be picky or choosy about what they tolerate unless it is severely out of line. This of course would be the primary exception, with other races having to hide their affiliation with Demonic Forces, etc.

    Consider if a whole society became alcoholics - if some recover they wouldn't start excluding those who haven't, it would be a slow transition of rehabilitation. Slow is the key word here, we're talking about an addiction so powerful that it drives some insane; you can't just break that habit overnight (or in about 10-15 years, which is approximately how long has passed since the death of the Kael'Thas).

    tl;dr: Teaching new warlocks would be out of the question, but there would be no need for practicing Warlocks to fear their status within Sin'dorei society as the entire population was affected by a very similar addiction and may have even be assisted by the Warlocks themselves.

  10. #10
    Role-player Khorianas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Hall of Blood
    Posts
    1,161
    I don't think Kael'thas is dead that long yet, Can't really be 10 years by now. Also the point in time from which the bloodelves stopped their addiction would more likely be the ignition of the new Sunwell which was really towards the very end of the Burning crusade. But that gives your Argument even more weight since the train of thought about overcoming the addiction is on the spot. Also the current Warchief and general unrest, or even War if you will, will do their part that many Bloodelves will keep their Fel powers handy, just in case.

  11. #11
    Stood in the Fire Number Eighteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Constructing additional pylons.
    Posts
    470
    You can be a Blood Elf Warlock as well as a Magister. Magisters are not solely mages but also Warlocks...think of it as the Destruction specc of a Warlock. Little to no Fel magic, little to no Demon magic and mostly based on chaotic energy and fire with a spat of Shadow.

    Your role as a Warlock / Magister should have little impact on the Thalassian populace, seeing that Warlocks did a good job for the Sin'dorei during their time in need AND Magisters are a high form of authourity in Quel'thalas. Ofcourse, power abuse if found out will be dealt with.

    The Sin'dorei and Forsaken would have little qualms about demons being summoned, considering (though it may be a fault on Blizzard's lack of updating Quel'thalas) two Succubi are present in Silvermoon, though under someone's control. Warlocks are tolerated in Orgrimmar but summoning Demons is prohibited unless ofcourse you do it subtly and out of sight. So long as they don't use Fel magic or summon Demons - Warlocks are perfectly fine in Orgrimmar as of late.

  12. #12
    Role-player Khorianas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Hall of Blood
    Posts
    1,161
    I must admit, I would really like a source on that. I mean of course anyone can call himself Magister, but disguising the demonic origin of your power, from other magically talented is difficult if not impossible. From a striclty role playing perspective the fire Warlocks use is entropic fire its different from arcane Fire, and will be caught by those knowing either one.
    I must admit, only source on entropic fire in itself is from the RPG, so non-canoical, but as nothing in canon contradicts it, I would still go with it.
    (An ingame argument pro Demonic fire would be the new Warlock questline.)

    Additionally from a quick search, Wowhead didn't turn up one NPC labeled as Magister <Name> who was of the warlock class.
    Last edited by Khorianas; 2013-04-05 at 06:57 AM.

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire Number Eighteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Constructing additional pylons.
    Posts
    470
    To that there is no real source but mostly common sense/assumption. Of all the races in the Horde, the Sin'dorei and Forsaken (and perhaps Goblins) are the only ones who got little to no issue with the usage of demonic magicks in public - and summon them, letting them walk around freely so to speak (Keelen Sheets in the Bazaar employs a Succubus in his tailoring business' lower floor, and Keyanomir walks around from Murder Row to the Warlock's sanctum to also the Bazaar I believe, while his Succubus is in Murder Row).

    Also Bloodmages (like Kael'thas was) do not always but can employ Verdant Spheres. Verdant Spheres take in Demonic essences to empower fire spells. Some say (yes, say so it's not a fact) that Bloodmagi are a Warlock variant (most likely due to the Glyph addition for Warlocks called Verdant Spheres) and Bloodmagi are most likely part of the Magisters - seeing Lor'themar ordered Rommath to assemble to Bloodmagi at the end of the Purge of Dalaran.

    Now, Entropic Fire is better known as Fel Fire. From what we can again assume from this quest-chain is that for non-demons Fel based attacks are incredibly difficult. Entropic Fire is also known to be green in coloration, so I don't quite think the spells we've been using up to this point was actually demonic fire.

    As for the difficulty of hiding it...there's no real reason to hide anything, unless the Magister / Warlock has ulterior ties with another force such as the Burning Legion. As said, Warlocks aren't much of a big deal in Silvermoon.

  14. #14
    Role-player Khorianas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Hall of Blood
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Solonar View Post
    Now, Entropic Fire is better known as Fel Fire. From what we can again assume from this quest-chain is that for non-demons Fel based attacks are incredibly difficult. Entropic Fire is also known to be green in coloration, so I don't quite think the spells we've been using up to this point was actually demonic fire.
    Now that is exactly the point. People were demanding green fire for years, since it should have always been that way to explicitly distinguish them from mages, since the origin of the fire has always been demonic/chaotic. Warlocks and demon attacks were the ones using the damge type chaotic in Warcraft 3.

    Also, more current, The Spell chaotic Energy, which replaces Life tap for destruction warlocks explicitly states the energy is taken from the twisting nether. And every bit of energy from there is demonically tainted. So I would conclude that for either a warlock or a magister this difference would be very clear. Also i would conclude that, given the completely different origins / methodology behind their fire summoning Magisters and Warlocks are distinct from one another.

  15. #15
    Role-player Nonfictionless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,257
    I think one thing that will help sort this out is the fact that Magisters are not a class or even technically speaking a description purely of a spellcaster. But more over it a title within the political group the Magisters. So far as I can find they are all Arcanists.

    seeing Lor'themar ordered Rommath to assemble to Bloodmagi at the end of the Purge of Dalaran.
    I can't find where he calls them Blood Magi. The Sunreavers who Lor'themar does fold into the Magisters are not Blood Magi.

  16. #16
    Stood in the Fire Number Eighteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Constructing additional pylons.
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonfictionless View Post
    I think one thing that will help sort this out is the fact that Magisters are not a class or even technically speaking a description purely of a spellcaster. But more over it a title within the political group the Magisters. So far as I can find they are all Arcanists.



    I can't find where he calls them Blood Magi. The Sunreavers who Lor'themar does fold into the Magisters are not Blood Magi.
    From WoWpedia: http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:One_Last_Grasp

    "After giving a speech about how Jaina's purge had led the blood elves back to Hellscream's Horde to Rommath, Halduron and Aethas, Lor'themar concludes that Garrosh had bought his new treasure with the blood of Lor'themar's people, and hopes dearly that it destroys him. Lor'themar orders Rommath to summon the magi and add the Sunreavers' strength to his own, and for Halduron to assemble to rangers. Demanding his blades, Theron vows that the next move will belong to him."


    Lor'themar Theron yells: Aethas! You're alive!
    Archmage Aethas Sunreaver says: Thanks to this hero, a few of us made it out of there. Many more have been sent to the Violet Hold.
    Lor'themar Theron says: Anar'alash denal! Will someone tell me WHAT is going on in Dalaran?
    Archmage Aethas Sunreaver says: Proudmoore! She's gone and expelled the Sunreavers from the city. She's purging the Horde from the Kirin Tor!
    Lor'themar Theron says: She's gone too far. I'm certain the Alliance can move their war mages through the city at will. That human ... witch!
    Lor'themar Theron says: When will they learn? When will they see that the Horde exists BECAUSE of the Alliance? Because of their prejudice and their bigotry!? They force us ever closer to Hellscream's Horde.
    Archmage Aethas Sunreaver says: My Lord...
    Lor'themar Theron says: Hal'duron, summon the rangers. Rommath, assemble the Blood Magi, and add the Sunreavers' strength to your own.
    Lor'themar Theron says: We Sin'dorei will take our future into our own hands.
    Lor'themar Theron says: And get this damn thing out of my sight! Hellscream bought this treasure with the blood of my people. I hope it destroys him.
    Grand Magister Rommath says: My Lord. YOU would make a fine Warchief.
    Lor'themar Theron says: It may come to that. Bring me my blades. The next move is mine.

    And as said by Nonfictionless, Magister is a political title. Not a class or a nickname for a class. Both use the Arcane arts to do things their way, and since you say the fire Warlocks use standard is chaotic in nature - I must ask your source for that. For as far as I've been aware it has always been regular fire. Green fire clearly distinguishes them, but green fire is actually the chaotic energy you speak of.
    Last edited by Number Eighteen; 2013-04-05 at 04:40 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Solonar View Post
    From WoWpedia: http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:One_Last_Grasp

    "After giving a speech about how Jaina's purge had led the blood elves back to Hellscream's Horde to Rommath, Halduron and Aethas, Lor'themar concludes that Garrosh had bought his new treasure with the blood of Lor'themar's people, and hopes dearly that it destroys him. Lor'themar orders Rommath to summon the magi and add the Sunreavers' strength to his own, and for Halduron to assemble to rangers. Demanding his blades, Theron vows that the next move will belong to him."

    And as said by Nonfictionless, Magister is a political title. Not a class or a nickname for a class. Both use the Arcane arts to do things their way, and since you say the fire Warlocks use standard is chaotic in nature - I must ask your source for that. For as far as I've been aware it has always been regular fire. Green fire clearly distinguishes them, but green fire is actually the chaotic energy you speak of.
    Warlocks are basically magi who have fallen to demonic power (both because it is more powerful and highly addictive). Any warlock spell is and has been tainted by demonic energy - it's what makes a warlock a warlock. Destruction isn't just another name for a fire mage; it's a name for warlocks who specialize in using demonic fire (be it green or red) to destroy (hence the spec name "destruction") their enemies.

    Warlocks utilize this energy by calling energy directly from the Twisting Nether (as Khor said). That in itself automatically makes any spell cast tainted (even if only partially). Warlocks using regular fire would make us nothing more than mages with a demon pet.

    EDIT: As for the difference between green and regular fire, the green Incinerate is that tainted by the Legion. A regular-looking Incinerate is one tainted by a demonic power other than that. The reasoning for this comes from the actual questchain itself, wherein the 2 warlocks we follow discover Illidan's power source, and they figure out the reason Illidan's followers were not the same colored as the Burning Legion's demons. Illidan's well of power is different than the Legion's, leading to the 2 differently colored entities. THus, a warlock utilizing Legion energy has fel fire, a warlock utilizing rogue demonic energy has regularly colored energy.
    Last edited by Shadow the Edgehog; 2013-04-06 at 01:01 PM.

  18. #18
    Role-player Khorianas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Hall of Blood
    Posts
    1,161
    The only thing I was meant to argue, were Warlocks using the arcane as a power source, since they don't. Originally the point I argued were if Warlocks could pose as mages. (Since that was part of the original question somehow.) From there we went to "Would a destruction warlock amongst mages be detected?" And the answer has to be yes. Mages use the remnant Energies of the exploded Well of Eternity as power source, which is now distributed rather evenly over Azeroth. Warlocks Tap into the twisting nether. (Source specifically for Destruction Warlocks is the passive Spell Chaotic Energy It explicitly states that their power Source is the Twisting Nether. And as has been said and is noted on The Twinsting Nether page every bit of energy from there is demonically tainted in a way. If you add that to the Spoiler tagged fact of Shadowcleave, it is more or less certain that Warlocks use demonic magic, always, even if Destruction. Which was my original objection. Sorry for any confusion with the magister bit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •