Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well it looks like this:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GzrDTvxIGB.../wallpaper.jpg

(pic is too damn big)

But generaly there are 2 kinds of trolls:
    * Fun trolls --- trolls that make fun out of ppl
    * Harrasment trolls --- trolls that will try too destory comunity, for example attacking whole posts with nonsene from 1 guy.

I dont mind fun trolls.... but harrasment trolls are pretty common on mmc.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's a random wrong idea.

Many of us have learn to properly speak and write in english thanks to the internet, thanks to the forums and to the games.

Trolls can be seen as two kinds:

a) Bad trolls; usually rude people who'll try to make a joke out of everything. Just ignore them.

b) Good trolls; Those such as "nazi grammars" or casual fun and healthy jokes... those even help. Now, you might be thinking, how could a grammar nazi help me? well, for sure you'll remember the word you spelled wrong as you won't like to see other troll going over your words ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Ok, so you weren't trolling, you were promoting a illegal course of action. Still against forum rules.
    Than it's the mods job to infract him for the right reason.

That said, it's obvious this guy is an idiot seeing how he talks and acts.

Ontopic: People often put acting like a jerk on the same thing as trolling. While both are terrible I don't think it's fair to mix them up because then you end up getting reported for having different opinions.

Acting like a douchebag and trolling should never be mixed up, they should be handled in 2 different ways just like we punish crimes different in real life. It's the same concept, actions need to be taken according to what said person did wrong...that goes for any forum.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    I think that's a random wrong idea.

Many of us have learn to properly speak and write in english thanks to the internet, thanks to the forums and to the games.

Trolls can be seen as two kinds:

a) Bad trolls; usually rude people who'll try to make a joke out of everything. Just ignore them.

b) Good trolls; Those such as "nazi grammars" or casual fun and healthy jokes... those even help. Now, you might be thinking, how could a grammar nazi help me? well, for sure you'll remember the word you spelled wrong as you won't like to see other troll going over your words ^^
    I have always and keep being thankful to people correcting my English...IF done in a respectful way. Calling my argument invalid because I made a spelling/grammar mistake is not one of those respectful ways.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-01-23 at 02:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you really care about converting people over to your position, or at least making them see that your side's argument is logical (which is what debate is all about)...you won't be an asshat when presenting your ideas. Unfortunately...I think a lot of people who claim to be defending the world from idiocy are really just looking for someone to talk down to in order to make themselves feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I am infracted occasionally for "trolling" here on these forums. The issue is, some of the mods don't understand what trolling is. Just the other day, I was infracted for trolling when I advised someone who got stiffed on a pizza delivery to simply wait until the offending party orders again and then you can rub the uncooked pizza dough under the restaurant toilet bowl rim before baking the pizza. I guess this could be considered trolling, but the truth is, I used to have friends that worked at the Papa John's Pizza in Thomasville, North Carolina. They had a particularly cheap delivery customer that ordered pizza three nights a week; and three nights a week, the kitchen staff would make up a "flusher" for the guy. Now, while a mod may consider that trolling, I was actually teaching all those cheap fucks in that particular thread who thought it was okay not to tip that when they do, don't be surprised if they end up with food poisoning or herpes of the mouth.
    Disgusting.

On Topic: Trolling is a waste of time and energy, but can be fun in wow general chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Calling my argument invalid because I made a spelling/grammar mistake is not one of those respectful ways.
    I'd note that while this is a logical fallacy, there actually are logically coherent versions of this; if I read someone's post and think, "holy shit, this person almost has to be stupid to write in this fashion", that doesn't actually create a logical argument against what they've written. It does, however, allow for the entirely reasonable response, "I think you're probably too stupid to engage with, and I think that's plain to others that are reading, so I'm not going to bother". This isn't an argument, but I think it's occasionally an appropriate response.

(Note: This isn't directed at you, your post just made me think of it.)

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 09:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    If you really care about converting people over to your position, or at least making them see that your side's argument is logical (which is what debate is all about)...you won't be an asshat when presenting your ideas. Unfortunately...I think a lot of people who claim to be defending the world from idiocy are really just looking for someone to talk down to in order to make themselves feel better.
    Sometimes I'm actually just sharpening rhetorical teeth for later use, not caring a bit if an opponent or potential readers care about the specific argument being made.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    well if d&d has taught me anything its that trolls fear fire.
    If I was a fire mage I'd be troll for sure.

To address the subject, logic and reason hate trolls. It burns them to death very quickly. But is that better than just ignoring them? Not necessarily. Communicating in a brief, courteous and to the point manner (with logic and reason) and then ignoring them (a-la good cop, bad cop) is efficient. But it is a skill, an art. Certainly not easy. And unfortunately, the internet is also full with people who are simply unable to argue, to apply logic and reason, aren't able to agree to disagree, and there's massive cultural differences.

I suspect those skills are something which comes with adolescence (and therefore remotely related to age). In modern computer games, there's a lot of youngsters. On IMDB, for example, some of the best discussions I read were held by elder people. But not in your average beat/shoot 'em up action flick. No, usually in a movie devoid of violence. I'm curious about this link.

Deleted
    Grammar nazi trolls..

It depends for me. Once a while ago i used "daim" instead of "damn" (seriously thats embarrassing) and some grammar nazi pointed it out. He said "lol you mean damn?" which did help me but everytime someone quote me just to fix the errors within the quote it usually doesnt help me at all.

Usually its like "theyre=they're" :/

Trolling is when you participate in actions to prevent the topic from continuing to be discussed, Just like the troll legend of a troll preventing someone from crossing a bridge without paying a toll. In the internet case there is no toll, just an attempt to prevent discussion.

Certain topics are innately going to end up trolled though, just by their nature. When a political argument is made (p.s. some day some of you might want to look up politics) the nature of the discussion can easily lead to one side considering the other trolling. But trolling, in certain cases, is actually the proper way to combat politicking. It's no mystery why some discussions usually turn out the same way every time they are brought up, look at every global warming/climate change thread. They run the same way every time... statements are made, usually much stronger than the statement itself actually is... people disagree and insults get thrown back and forth by the same people.

Trolling is also the responsibility of the original argument, ofttimes it the way the OP positioned the argument that yields "trolling". If you create your "global warming is real and anyone not believing in it is a poopyhead moron" thread, it's sort of hard for trolling to not occur as the thread was not created for discussion... it was created to insult people that don't agree with what you believe (so it's actually a troll thread).

The reality is that it's not just the reaction and the negative comments that derail any discussion. It's the way the topic is originally introduced.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Trolling is when you participate in actions to prevent the topic from continuing to be discussed, Just like the troll legend of a troll preventing someone from crossing a bridge without paying a toll. In the internet case there is no toll, just an attempt to prevent discussion.
    Trolls don't prevent someone from "crossing a bridge". Internet trolls invite people to jump off said bridge on their own accord.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Trolls don't prevent someone from "crossing a bridge". Internet trolls invite people to jump off said bridge on their own accord.
    Some do, there certainly are trolls that troll to troll. They don't care what the "discussion" is and they aren't actually interested in any aspect of it, they troll to troll. But not all trolling is that type of trolling, here in particular it's mostly not trolling to troll, but trolling to prevent the current argument from continuing.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    A perfect example of where this is not the case (and thusly proving that it really is true) is elitist jerks.

There forums are so strictly cut to constructive posts that it innately creates a constructive knowledge based environment.

Hell its so strict I once posted a 'thank you' (in a lot more words) to someone who answered my detailed and in depth question about rogues (long time ago) and I was infracted for not keeping my posts constructive.

They run a tight ship over there but hell there is some awesome debate and learning that happens. (as a result)

Quote Originally Posted by Gr4vitas View Post
    A perfect example of where this is not the case (and thusly proving that it really is true) is elitist jerks.

There forums are so strictly cut to constructive posts that it innately creates a constructive knowledge based environment.

Hell its so strict I once posted a 'thank you' (in a lot more words) to someone who answered my detailed and in depth question about rogues (long time ago) and I was infracted for not keeping my posts constructive.

They run a tight ship over there but hell there is some awesome debate and learning that happens. (as a result)
    Yah, but they also are rarely on a topic that is political ;p

The only thing that is political there would be "blizzard hates my class" which is something they squash immediately.

Some do, there certainly are trolls that troll to troll. They don't care what the "discussion" is and they aren't actually interested in any aspect of it, they troll to troll. But not all trolling is that type of trolling, here in particular it's mostly not trolling to troll, but trolling to prevent the current argument from continuing.
    But they don't force a stop any discussion. People can ignore a troll; they just often choose not to.

10+ Year Old Account
    That wasn't the origin. It was from the use of "trolling" in the sense of fishing; http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trolling

It got its start not out of a desire to shut down conversation, but in the attempt to make a comment so obviously over the top that it couldn't be legitimate, and yet still get someone to take the bait and respond angrily.

The issue with that is Poe's Law, which boils down to "can't tell if troll or just stupid"; there's no stance that is so out of whack that someone, somewhere, doesn't legitimately believe it. That's why people abandoned the earlier use and it stopped being a kind of a game and just something that people do to derail conversations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That wasn't the origin. It was from the use of "trolling" in the sense of fishing; http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trolling

It got its start not out of a desire to shut down conversation, but in the attempt to make a comment so obviously over the top that it couldn't be legitimate, and yet still get someone to take the bait and respond angrily.

The issue with that is Poe's Law, which boils down to "can't tell if troll or just stupid"; there's no stance that is so out of whack that someone, somewhere, doesn't legitimately believe it. That's why people abandoned the earlier use and it stopped being a kind of a game and just something that people do to derail conversations.
    Most of the trolling i do uses points other people have legitimately made elsewhere.
    Has nothing to do with not wanting the discussion to continue but because i think ridiculous viewpoints are hilarious.

Like when i take the republican viewpoint in any real life discussion, i fall over laughing inside.

There has always existed a type of trolling that is not fishing for comments, but is dedicated to derailing a topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Ok, so you weren't trolling, you were promoting a illegal course of action. Still against forum rules.
    Its not illegal to spit / put dirt / do whatever to food before serving it to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Its not illegal to spit / put dirt / do whatever to food before serving it to someone.
    http://www.rockfordrecord.com/2013/0...-on-cops-food/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Yeah, it's not only illegal, it's usually considered a felony. If you know you have a communicable disease, it's usually considered aggravated assault, at a minimum, the same as if you'd attacked them with a knife.