Thread: [pvp prot fc]

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

[pvp prot fc]

Hello guys,

I've been thinking to level an alt to 90 and become a fc for mainly bg's and (low) rated bg's. Since i have a paladin at 80 still from WotlK and i really liked prot paladins back then, my question is how good are prot paladins now and will they become in 5.2?

I always hear warriors are the best at fcing, but how much better would he be then a prot paladin? If they really are that much better, i would consider leveling a warrior (i hate leveling) since i've never tried them either.

Thanks

Prot Pallies are pretty damn squishy. I don't think I've ever seen a FC prot pally TBH.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    They can't FC. Its not necessarily squishy, really, at all, but Warriors have insane mobility and CC in comparison. Everyone takes warriors, for good reason. They are much better than all of the other classes, with Druids in 2nd, probably. That and prot is getting 0 pvp buffs in 5.2, so far.

So honestly, if you want to FC, you need to level a warrior. Otherwise you'll hit 90 and get gear and be unable to find a group. The other problem with Prot finding groups is that right now Ret sucks, and nobody wants to bring Ret, and you will need a dps spec for non-FC matches, most likely.

I fc'd to 2600 s9, was top 20 fc US, and led the #2 team on bg8(these arent to brag, just saying i have high end rbg exp) people seem to think that this is still cata and nothing changed spec wise in mop. Prot paladin is so much more viable than people think( the only thing that GIMPED it in cata was the wog cd nerf, and people think spec sucks, duel me too show me on the most op classes, and cant get me below 50-60%)we have A LOT of damage reduction with our 3 cds and sotr mastery proc, vs caster heavy teams i spec unbreakable spirit and dont glyph divine protection, with all the wogs/sotr i use i have divine prot on a 40-45 sec cd, so 40% magic damage reduction intertwined with 45% physical reduction from sotr proc( which is about a 10-15 sec cd) avengers shield is 15 sec cd silence( too bad its not aoe anymore) without the cd reset, laotl gives u a speed buff crossing mid and helps to evade dps on u, soi/EF( which i dont use now but i prob will in 5.2) look like a mini second wind to me, theres other things to use defensively to ur advantage too( glyph where wings heal u, etc

Bottom line is if ur starting from scratch sure go warrior, but if ur content on playing pally, its much more viable then people think, it just requires actual awareness to surroundings and cd management instead of just bouncing around like a pinball,but, i will say, ull prob have to form ur own group to actually get in one lol, i get turned down by 1800 teams with my GM title/300 win ach and 200 higher cr then them lol
    Last edited by Sluggo; 2013-01-23 at 04:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the problem is in people's minds. No one wants a prot paladin, they tend to stick with warriors and druids.

I've done about 80 RBGs this season (started late), and I've seen the total of one prot pala FC. And to be honest, it wasnt all that hard to land a kill on him if you got him away from his team (As he dont got that much mobility).
    For lower rated, I guess it should be just fine. The only problem will be to find a group for it, but if you feel like you're able to lead/create, why not? If you enjoy the class/spec, go with it. It's a game after all, and a game is about having fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Deleted
    yes IF -> your team can provide the mobility you can't -> speed boosts and life grips and dispels to snares

no if-> your missing ANY of those that help you keep mobile, we have one spell that can get purged off hand of freedom, once thats gone your screwed and will probably die as low ap for self wogs and sacred due to no vengeance from pvp.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the answers,

Still not sure what to pick tho i think i will lvl a warrior to see if its any good

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    yes IF -> your team can provide the mobility you can't -> speed boosts and life grips and dispels to snares

no if-> your missing ANY of those that help you keep mobile, we have one spell that can get purged off hand of freedom, once thats gone your screwed and will probably die as low ap for self wogs and sacred due to no vengeance from pvp.
    Low vengeance isn't really an argument, as none of the tanks get any vengeance from PvP. The biggest bonus of a warrior fc is his mobility, tacked onto what you mentioned. I've seen a team with a healer priest and symbed druid with double-time FC go: charge, charge, heroic leap, safeguard, life grip, life grip, across the map in about 7 seconds. All a prot paladin can do is sprint, LaOTL, or PoJ increased speed, Freedom WILL be purged/spellstolen.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Low vengeance isn't really an argument, as none of the tanks get any vengeance from PvP.
    The point he's making is that most of a paladin's mitigation/survivability in fights stems from having high vengeance to supplement sacred shield / wog / seal of insight, in addition to having low maneuverability. While warrior's see the same issue with their shield barrier, it's not that big of a loss compared to paladins, and Warriors have second wind to fall back on, which is base on total hp, not ap.