[Fraps] Recording at 360p/480p and upscaling to 720p with a sharpen filter?

Reason i would like to do this ( although inanely stupid ) is because quite a large amount of people put the ', hd' tag in their search. the game i'm recording is actually pixelart and even 480p is generous. Is there any sharpening filter system i can use to upscale to 720p and not have it look like crap?

Also, better audio ensues when doing this so... yeah.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Deleted
    Is there a reason why you cannot fraps the game at 720p?

If you don't want the video to look like pixel art (why not if the game is supposed to look like that?) what I would do is trying to find a screen mode which has the pixels multiplied exactly so that there is no anti-alising at all, then you get image perfectly sharp. For example 1280x960 and 1280x800 resolutions should be available in both Nvidia and AMD drivers for perfect 4x multiplier to an old 320x200/240 game. There is no magical Hollywood/CSI filter that can create details where none exist.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If you don't want the video to look like pixel art (why not if the game is supposed to look like that?) what I would do is trying to find a screen mode which has the pixels multiplied exactly so that there is no anti-alising at all, then you get image perfectly sharp. For example 1280x960 and 1280x800 resolutions should be available in both Nvidia and AMD drivers for perfect 4x multiplier to an old 320x200/240 game. There is no magical Hollywood/CSI filter that can create details where none exist.
    Nay, i mean some sort of AA filter to avoid it looking 480pish. I dont have anything against pixel art, and i know that i can use filters like supersai or supereagle to get the effect you're talking about, i just need to render the clip afterwards and instead of regular upsampling, i get precise upsampling, as in, not roughly estimated detail based on color created inbetween pixels, just a good ol' enlargement of the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Is there a reason why you cannot fraps the game at 720p?
    I film at 60fps and use smart sampling to get it to 30 - makes it much smoother to watch. 720p is still going to take up an unpleasant amount of hard drive space. It might not be that relevant for a few vids, but it's not just one game that does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    i just need to render the clip afterwards and instead of regular upsampling, i get precise upsampling, as in, not roughly estimated detail based on color created inbetween pixels, just a good ol' enlargement of the whole thing.
    Now I'm totally confused... You want the end result being anti-aliased or pixel-perfect? If the problem is video editors you're using have problem doing simple resize without resampling, you can use VirtualDub for example for clean resize without any resampling if you use resolution that is exact multiple of original capture. If you save intermediate files with some lossless codec like lagarith the file sizes will go way down without any quality loss.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Now I'm totally confused... You want the end result being anti-aliased or pixel-perfect? If the problem is video editors you're using have problem doing simple resize without resampling, you can use VirtualDub for example for clean resize without any resampling if you use resolution that is exact multiple of original capture. If you save intermediate files with some lossless codec like lagarith the file sizes will go way down without any quality loss.
    ah, great, that's what i needed, thanks! as far as the lossless codec - i'm recording with fraps and i'm pretty sure that uses it's own codec, Any other recording software (that being camtasia and hypercam) i've tried has had ungodly framerate issues, but i might aswell try it again with a new codec.
    As to your question - sorry for confusing, did not mean to offend - i meant pixel perfect as the aesthetic is already pixelated, no point in using anything else!

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    as far as the lossless codec - i'm recording with fraps and i'm pretty sure that uses it's own codec
    I mean if you load the video into virtualdub it can decode fraps video, but not use the same codec for compressing and you need to save it into some intermediate format for editing in whatever program you normally use for the final rendering. I'm using lagarith because it's lossless and fast, and makes files slightly smaller than fraps.

You sure none of the programs you use for the editing can do exact resize if you use 2x or 4x multiplier for the size instead of forcing it into 720p for example? That would be weird if it always forces antialiasing on.
    Trolling should be.

have you tried bandicam?
    it supports propper choice of resolution and it supports lagarith