Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy how to prepare for loss of a pet?

i can't bear the thought of losing my dog.....yet he's 12 years old now. he sleeps a lot. he no longer runs like he used to. he has trouble keeping his footing. how do i prepare for his..........passing? the family is talking of putting him down.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    You cannot prepare for it, just learn to accept it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing prepares anyone for death, and honestly I'd rather not prepare for it. Let it happen. Nothing eases the pain (it just becomes bearable as you get used to it) and I don't think preparing vs not-preparing helps.

Deleted
    As my fellow pre-posters have pointed out: You don't prepare for it. You might think you do, but in the end it's still as crushing.
    I feel you, recently had to put down our 11 year old dog.
    Remember: It's okay to cry, and feel down. It's one of the things that make us who we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    there has to be something i can do to lessen the impact.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Deleted
    man up and deal with it. death will always be a part of your life, better get used to it.

edit* not trying to sound like a douche..
    Last edited by mmoc5d999e555a; 2013-02-01 at 05:01 PM.

I agree with the others, there is nothing you can do to prepare for it. I had to put my 10 and a half year old German Shepherd down in June and it was definitely the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Thor acted like a puppy for most of his ten years and then suddenly deteriorated into a shadow of his former self within a 6-10 month period of time. After trying medications and electro-therapy for his pain, the day came when it was clear it was time to let him go. Treasure the time you have left with your dog, take a good picture to save, and hold your memories dear.

I should add, that there was a service my vet offered me when I had Thor put down, but it wasn't something I chose to do. They can make a pawprint for you that you can save. I chose not to because I felt like I'd rather look at my pictures of him than see the print taken just before his death but some people appreciate it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    there has to be something i can do to lessen the impact.
    Nope, but get a few photo's of your pet when he/she is looking healthy, remember it as it was not as it became. Nothing will lessen the loss however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Nope, but get a few photo's of your pet when he/she is looking healthy, remember it as it was not as it became. Nothing will lessen the loss however.
    i dont think we have many of these if any ill have to look.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrYaki View Post
    man up and deal with it. death will always be a part of your life, better get used to it.
    You should never get used to it, the moment you get used to it is the moment you start taking life for granted.

You should never get used to it, the moment you get used to it is the moment you start taking life for granted.
    Well said.

Deleted
    Seems wise, just be happy for the time you had. 12 years is quite long for a dog overall (although I don't know what kind of dog you have).

10+ Year Old Account
    its a standard poodle.

There's not much you can do. Losing a dog has hit me harder than losing (human) friends. Best you can do is make sure the passing goes without suffering for them, and that you remember the good times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrYaki View Post
    "manning up" is more often than not, not a solution to a problem.

My aunt got a new puppy couple of weeks after she had to put down her 15 year old dog, she said that taking care of new dog lessened the impact a lot and helped her with grief.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    "manning up" is more often than not, not a solution to a problem.
    Manning up rather than letting it out is why so many Soldiers returning from deployments end up 6 feet under.

Deleted
    Spend some time with your dog, love him and spoil him, make his last weeks/months wonderful. Animals have feelings too and by making him feel loved you will have an easier time to let him move on into the unknown. I have a 22 year old cat myself. She is still clear as a bell and very active and healthy. But I never let myself forget how old she really is and that her day will come sooner rather than later. It saddens me and the thought of not having her around makes my tummy twist and my eyes watery. I'm making up for it by loving her and making her feel wanted and needed. It's something both of us need to have before she can leave. Your dog is no different.

Being human, having one of the longest lifespans in nature is both a gift and a curse. We get to experience so much but we also get to lose just as much. It's one of the downsides of being long lived. :/

Deleted
    my dog turns 12 this year as well, she doesnt run that much anymore either, but I hope she'll live at least another 3 years :/
    how to prepare for it? hm you can only learn to accept it and be happy that you had the privilege of spending time with your pet

My cat died really quick in the middle of the night, no time to prepare, I think I was 11 when I got him and he was 12-13 when he died. I cried a bit, packed him into a "casket" and then went to my parents house, barried him in a corner of my parents garden. Was done at 7 in the morning hehe

It's sad, you really learn to love your pets but you get over it quite quickly, at least I did. It's not like losing a person close to you, at least not in my experience.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-02-01 at 05:28 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...