Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    there are plenty of people that i know who grew up with poor families and became very well off. jay-z is just one person who falls into such a category so you can not call him the definition of the american dream.

Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    Of course people should always be judged by their past... What definition of 'past' are you using, that you don't think killers, rapists, etc, should be judged?

Or is it that you're a druggie, or a dealer, and think that it's just not as bad? Where does your line start?

-Alamar
    I had an old friend in high school, couple years back, who dropped out, began using drugs...etc etc, a lot happened. Well 12 years later, she is in college, great GPA, and already has a job for her when she graduates in May. So you're telling me that just cause of her past mistakes, I should judge her and say she doesn't deserve a better life, people should always deny her for jobs, and just live miserably?

10+ Year Old Account
    That made no sense at all to me.
    First thing I thought after reading those lyrics lol!

The way I see it is he sure as hell fucked up some lives by selling drugs so he gets little to no respect from me no matter how good his music is (and I personally hate it).
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    First thing I thought after reading those lyrics lol!

The way I see it is he sure as hell fucked up some lives by selling drugs so he gets little to no respect from me no matter how good his music is (and I personally hate it).
    But Blizzard fucked up many lives of gamers too. Doesen't that matter at all?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Raidenx View Post
    If thats the main reason he supports Obama that can mean he is racist
    or it could mean he respects a man who can overcome such obstacles, like he said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soutalgon View Post
    Its a shame isn't it? Those of us who refuse to go down that path or those lengths are just another ordinary face to the world.
    If you're implying that drug dealing got him where he is... then why is he renowned for his music? Why don't people look upon him as if he's Tony Montana? King of the drug world. It's because he got big doing music... when you're in the ghetto like he was and people judge you constantly for who you are... you can't help it, so he had to get his hands a bit dirty and slang drugs... and as far as I'm aware, it was just marijuana, which I could care less about... not like he was selling meth, now that's a whole other story. Just avoid overexagerating it to the point where you're making it look like his drug dealing past is the main contributor to how he got his fame.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    or it could mean he respects a man who can overcome such obstacles, like he said.
    Theres a difference between respecting the difficulty in overcoming any obstacles, perceived or otherwise, and voting for someone simply because they share the same skin complexion as you

Quote Originally Posted by Raidenx View Post
    Theres a difference between respecting the difficulty in overcoming any obstacles, perceived or otherwise, and voting for someone simply because they share the same skin complexion as you
    right. he referred to the "vision" it takes to become the first black president.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    right. he referred to the "vision" it takes to become the first black president.
    Or you could be grasping at straws to support someone's obviously racist reasons for voting. Where was his support for Hillary trying to be the first woman president?

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Hey look our president hanging out with a self proclaimed cocaine dealer that moves bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    It doesn't matter if they changed or not, they still did it and probably fucked up a few lives on the way. Many people are poor and struggle to get by, most do not turn to serious crime, drug dealing is not the same as stealing food to survive.
    In many ways stealing is a fuck sight worse. Drug dealing is only a serious crime because we are told it is. Stealing is one of the "golden oldies". I'm very surprised by your logic here.

What if he is selling drugs to survive? Most drug dealers aren't into it make big bucks, *most* don't really want to be 'in it' at all. they do it to make enough money to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    drug dealing is not the same as stealing food to survive.
    Referring to food theft is pretty disingenuous though, isn't it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    The American Dream has nothing to do with the means of the journey but only the Rags to Riches scenario.
    That's pretty much everything that's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    That's pretty much everything that's wrong.
    I think the crowd is split on whether the American dream is something to be celebrated or not...

EDIT: I love how this post comes after the one before it
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    In many ways stealing is a fuck sight worse. Drug dealing is only a serious crime because we are told it is. Stealing is one of the "golden oldies". I'm very surprised by your logic here.

What if he is selling drugs to survive? Most drug dealers aren't into it make big bucks, *most* don't really want to be 'in it' at all. they do it to make enough money to live.
    Dealing drugs is MUCH worse than stealing.

It's NEVER as simple as selling a crackhead some smack so he can get his jollies for the evening... You're funding gang violence on a huge scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Dealing drugs is MUCH worse than stealing.

It's NEVER as simple as selling a crackhead some smack so he can get his jollies for the evening... You're funding gang violence on a huge scale.
    The place to lay the blame is a pretty grey area though, from the user right up to the grower, via the governments and cartels. (Some bits probably a darker grey, for sure).

But stealing is pretty black and white, as far as blame is concerned, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    Or you could be grasping at straws to support someone's obviously racist reasons for voting. Where was his support for Hillary trying to be the first woman president?
    or you could be grasping at straws to call someone racist for voting for someone of their same color.
    im sure if Hilary had won we would be hearing "every woman who voted for her is a sexist."

Might be just personal, but he is rather ugly :P

Not my dream, money would be ok but im already decently wealthy no need for more, fame? fuck that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jay Z is the only rapper who doesn't make me want to hurl myself off the top of The Shard in London. Don't care how he got to where he did as long as he didn't cause too much unnecessary harm to others, fact remains he did it.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Jay Z is the only rapper who doesn't make me want to hurl myself off the top of The Shard in London. Don't care how he got to where he did as long as he didn't cause too much unnecessary harm to others, fact remains he did it.

Two words. Slick Rick.

As you were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slick_Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_jGgZ35W5s