Engineering RP Question

1) Twisting Nether Generator

Description: Instead of teleporting to a remote location, a crystal pulled from the twisting nether beyond Draenor can create a small area of twisting nether around the caster. The link is only as stable as the crystal used.

Theory: Engineers can teleport all over, including to Outland, so why not bend space to come to you instead of the reverse. By locking into the twisting nether with an enchanted piece of the destroyed Draenor it can pulled that pocket of Twisting Nether to surround the user temporarily.

Use: The crystal used is important as the stability of this generator relies upon its quality. Depending on the quality, this effect can last anywhere from 2 to 30 seconds and be used periodically every 15 mins to 2 hours. Overloading the crystal with more frequent use will assure its destruction.
    Last edited by Mortiegama; 2013-03-01 at 02:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they sound pretty cool but as with all engineering they should probably have unexpected results like.

1) Instead of a crystal a big angry voidwalker is summoned
    2) The holy blows up causing damage to you
    The Way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death.

I must admit, I never really deeply though of Engineering from a roleplaying point of view. But when you choose to manipulate exactly the holy light and twisting nether, I would personally say it comes with massive drawbacks.

First of all, the twisting nether corrupts. Prolongued exposure to its energies should have very real effects on the characters (just think of Kael'thas). And it is massively complicated to control. In Roleplay Portal and Translocation magic is limited to the most powerful of spellcasters. Also, translocating space instead of objects has to my knowledge never been done. And as Kinderfield said, you would pull a random piece of nether so what awaits you in it is unknown. I would also think it is possible that the device pulls you back with the nether as soon as its field collapses. Bottom line on this is, in my opinion it would be so dangerous its use would border on suicide.

The Saronite device is more to my liking since it has a more solid backing in lore. But for the saronite to keep its light reflecting purposes, it also has to keep its maddening whispers. So again a really big and real drawback. Apart from that I could see this thing working.

Quote Originally Posted by kinderfield View Post
    I think they sound pretty cool but as with all engineering they should probably have unexpected results like.

1) Instead of a crystal a big angry voidwalker is summoned
    2) The holy blows up causing damage to you
    1) Not a bad idea, though I may change my idea for this device.
    2) It does have a chance of causing damage depending on use. The gears can only withstand so much of the torrent. Eventually it will wear out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorianas View Post
    I must admit, I never really deeply though of Engineering from a roleplaying point of view. But when you choose to manipulate exactly the holy light and twisting nether, I would personally say it comes with massive drawbacks.

First of all, the twisting nether corrupts. Prolongued exposure to its energies should have very real effects on the characters (just think of Kael'thas). And it is massively complicated to control. In Roleplay Portal and Translocation magic is limited to the most powerful of spellcasters. Also, translocating space instead of objects has to my knowledge never been done. And as Kinderfield said, you would pull a random piece of nether so what awaits you in it is unknown. I would also think it is possible that the device pulls you back with the nether as soon as its field collapses. Bottom line on this is, in my opinion it would be so dangerous its use would border on suicide.

The Saronite device is more to my liking since it has a more solid backing in lore. But for the saronite to keep its light reflecting purposes, it also has to keep its maddening whispers. So again a really big and real drawback. Apart from that I could see this thing working.
    When you put it that way, it does seem a little hard to pull the Twisting Nether. I may need to rethink this concept. My main purpose for that was to a create a temporary vacuum around the device, used for whatever purposes necessary.

The Saronite device I plan on using only with my Death Knight. Since he's already dead and tends to wear Saronite anyway, the whispers are not nearly a threat. The device backfiring however could cause the loss of the arm.