Pre-Employment Written Exam Questions.

Tomorrow I have a pre-employment test for a Consumer Service Field Rep position(Tech support for water/electrical issues). This is my first 'real' job opportunity so I'm new to the whole scene.

For starters, I don't have a suit. Is a shirt and tie perfectly acceptable? Some people say dress casually since I will want to be comfortable during the test, but I don't want this to hurt my chances.

Secondly, is there anything I should bring other than my ID? The email I received just said be there at 9:00 and that the exam will take approx 2 hours. Should I bring a pencil/pen and a notepad or anything like that?

Thanks for the advice.

business casual should work, don't wear jeans and a tshirt. But some decent pants and a nice shirt would probably work fine, as for the rest, why not? It wouldn't hurt.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

That's what I figured. As to the why not that's exactly how I felt but I thought maybe there were things I was forgetting about that people would remind me to grab

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, what you have should be fine. Don't wear jeans, go out and buy a pair of cheap slacks if you have to. Dark socks and some nice-ish shoes would help too.

Yes, bring pencils and some paper. You never know.

Good luck!
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by tockle View Post
    Tomorrow I have a pre-employment test for a Consumer Service Field Rep position(Tech support for water/electrical issues). This is my first 'real' job opportunity so I'm new to the whole scene.

For starters, I don't have a suit. Is a shirt and tie perfectly acceptable? Some people say dress casually since I will want to be comfortable during the test, but I don't want this to hurt my chances.

Secondly, is there anything I should bring other than my ID? The email I received just said be there at 9:00 and that the exam will take approx 2 hours. Should I bring a pencil/pen and a notepad or anything like that?

Thanks for the advice.
    Wear a suit (If you have family members that have one that will fit, borrow it), first impressions DO matter. You can always take your jacket off and put it on the back of your chair, and if you're uncomfortable sitting down for a couple of hours in formal trousers with a shirt and tie, you need to take more care in buying your clothes lol.

If you are required to take anything then I'm sure you'd have been notified beforehand.

Take pens and pencils. Take a pack of each. Just don't be the guy that draws attention to himself... you'll only stand out, in a bad way.
    Last edited by Palmatum; 2013-01-23 at 04:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arriving prepared shows initiative and forward thinking. Even in the event you don't use them/are supplied with similar items, I would consider taking spare paper and a pen. There is nothing wrong with being over prepared.

Regarding the suit, I will just say from my own experiences, I have never heard a prospective employer say "Wow, a suit. Didn't need to dress up for me!" However the one time I heard "I would've liked to see you in a suit" was enough to haunt me into over dressing for any and all interviews. If comfort is a problem, you can always remove your jacket. When they seat you for your test, they won't sit around and stare at you like a high school exam. Chances are they'll just seat you somewhere quiet and tell you to find them when you are done. Even if they do stand around, you won't be frowned upon for removing your jacket and loosening your tie to do the exam. Just remember to fix yourself when you are finished.

All the best of luck to you mate. Hope you have a win.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I'm borrowing shoes, socks, and slacks but can't get my hands on a jacket so shirt & tie it is.

Quote Originally Posted by tockle View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful comments. I'm borrowing shoes, socks, and slacks but can't get my hands on a jacket so shirt & tie it is.
    If you have a nice thin wool jumper that'd work as well.