Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

ilvl what gives?

What actually determines ilvl, i just upgraded 3 items and didnt gain 1ilvl. I upgraded my shield from ilvl 435 to 463, my neck from 463 to 476 and my boots from 458 to 476 and I didnt get any ilvl gain. What gives?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not an enormous upgrade...4 items levels. Add in that you also have off-spec gear (most likely) in your bag and you may not increase at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    its annoying, i want to get into the 3rd part of LFR. The requirement is 470 and im at 469, i figured all those upgrades would give me at least 1ilvl!

If you already had those items in your bag, then putting them on wouldn't change the total ilvl score, just the equipped ilvl score. They were already being counted in the total ilvl score if they were in your bags. And entry to LFR is based on total ilvl score.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    If you already had those items in your bag, then putting them on wouldn't change the total ilvl score, just the equipped ilvl score. They were already being counted in the total ilvl score if they were in your bags. And entry to LFR is based on total ilvl score.
    no i didnt have them yet, i just won 2 items in LFR and the other in a heroic dungeon. So they werent in my bag

Average ilevel is average. If the majority of your gear is of similar ilevel, it becomes harder to raise it if you only get pieces that are 3-4 ilevels higher.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Not sure what the issue is, then. Those upgrades should have pushed you up a few points. Maybe log out and back in to see if it's just a visual glitch.

Deleted
    My girlfriend upgraded her 450 chest to one of the 496 epic crafted BoE's and gained 1 item level. The 450 was the highest item level chest she had in her bags (she was on her monk and didn't play mistweaver). Its quite frustrating when she did it hoping to gain at least 2 so she could enter LFR.

But alas.

The item level is the average of your best 16 slots, so obviously it might take more than 15ilvl upgrade to increase the average.

As the shield upgrade seems like a huge jump, you could already have a 2hander or an offspec weapon of some sort with higher ilvl than the shield.
    Last edited by rinleezwins; 2013-01-23 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    As the shield upgrade seems like a huge jump, you could already have a 2hander or an offspec weapon of some sort with higher ilvl than the shield.
    This is most likely the culprit. If you have a 2-hander weapon, it will affect your ilevel more than a 1-hander+off-hand (as a 2-hander ilevel will divide your total ilevel by 15 instead of 16 with your 1-hander+off-hand).

to hit 470 u need a min of 463 or better in every slot as its counting all 16 items. i myself had around 10 463 heroic items.. plus 1 489.. and 4 476 pieces.. i was still a few ilvls short so i had to upgrade my 463 helm and cape to 471.... thus i barely made it, reached 470 on the dot.

ilvl gain is quite silly but its just one of those restrictions that the game decides for lfr.

You have 15-16 items equipped. You would need an improvement of 15-16 ilvl points to make your overall ilvl raise by 1.

my prot warr had similar issues gearing up. I wasn't getting drops from MSV LFR, so I was just stuck at 466 ilvl. I knew it was my trinkets holding me back (450) and wasn't about to pay the outrageous prices being asked for the tank DMF trink. luckily, not only was I eventually able to make the DMF trinket, but the 5.1 rares in Krasarang dropped both their pvp trinkets (384s), which was just enough to push me over the 470ilvl threshold. I figured I have a little issue staying alive, as my HP was lower than I'd like, but with use of Def CDs, I stayed alive without issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    thx all for the responses, i ended up upgrading some of my 463 gear with justice points and i got to ilvl 470 on the dot! thx again

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    My girlfriend upgraded her 450 chest to one of the 496 epic crafted BoE's and gained 1 item level. The 450 was the highest item level chest she had in her bags (she was on her monk and didn't play mistweaver). Its quite frustrating when she did it hoping to gain at least 2 so she could enter LFR.

But alas.
    Honest question: Am I missing something here? LFR requirement to enter is 460 right? If her highest piece of itemlevel was the 450 (meaning the rest was lower or equal) how could she have a gearscore of 458? I am asking cause you said she only needed two points more to enter LFR.

1. you thought LFR would be available at 450
    2. you misrepresented the story
    3. I am wrong about the 460 requirement of LFR

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post

But alas.
    (496-450)/16 = 2.875, that upgrade gives 2 or 3 ilvl if she didn't have higher than 450 in inventory. You can't argue against math.

Deleted
    Try to gather up some valor points and buy a 489ilvl item from the valor point vendor, im sure that this will increase your average item lvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Cytheria View Post
    Try to gather up some valor points and buy a 489ilvl item from the valor point vendor, im sure that this will increase your average item lvl.
    Obvious advice is obvious...

If you read correctly he is not asking how to improve his itemlevel. He is asking why his itemlevel hasn't improved when he did X and Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way the item level is counted is by adding together the itemlvl of your 16 gear slots and dividing it by 16.
    So an easy way to check if you are going gain an item level is to just change the item level of a slot before dividing it.~ ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    (496-450)/16 = 2.875, that upgrade gives 2 or 3 ilvl if she didn't have higher than 450 in inventory. You can't argue against math.
    Clearly its not that simple. That's assuming that every item is exactly the same item level, which it isn't.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Honest question: Am I missing something here? LFR requirement to enter is 460 right? If her highest piece of itemlevel was the 450 (meaning the rest was lower or equal) how could she have a gearscore of 458? I am asking cause you said she only needed two points more to enter LFR.

1. you thought LFR would be available at 450
    2. you misrepresented the story
    3. I am wrong about the 460 requirement of LFR
    Or 4. I said the highest chest was 450. She had higher item level items - which probably caused some kind of gap like that. I am not lying about the story, there's no need to.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Or 4. The 450 was her highest "chest-item", meaning she could still have 463-gloves
    But the story seems unlikely, simple math tells us her average-ilvl should have gone up with 2 or 3.. Not 1.
    That's exactly the reason why we bought it, it was surely going to give at least the needed 2 - But it didn't!
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2013-01-23 at 04:02 PM.