[Resto] Symbiosis - Looking for practical advice

Due to work issues, haven't really been able to raid since MoP came out, but that is about to change. I'm looking for advice on how to best utilize symbiosis in normal/heroic raids. I've read what it does to both the caster and recipients. In general, it appears the benefits for the tanks would be most useful, although those dont seem to benefit the druid caster very well. Giving a shadowpriest tranq also seems great, but that doesn't benefit the druid much at all (besides messing around). I know about spiritwalkers grace being the best for movement fights, but the benefits to the shaman seem pretty weak. In general, i know the best usage will almost always be situational.

But what are peoples experiences. I have a few questions about this and am also very open/interested in other general comments/discussions about symbiosis:

1. In general, do you base your symbiosis target on what it will do for you, or what it will do for the target?

2. Is there a certain target that is preferred for standard situations when a certain gimic does not require a specific symbiosis target (looking for basically a default)

3. What class/spec do you usually cast symbiosis on?

4. This is random, but does anyone know if the target of symbiosis gets some type of in game notification that it was cast on them?

Thanks!

I base Sym on what it will do for me because it's my spell. For example, spiritwalkers grace for blade lord is great for the running tranq during P2.

Iceblock, cloak (boomkin) can all be useful during certain fights. Example: block to remove the parasite on amber shaper. Cloak works well as balance for Ele with the total annihilation.

So as you can see I use sym for helping myself not others. If there is nothing useful in fight I would need I like to use it on a priest and lifegrip people during rezzes. Or, if I'm in LFR and someone pissed me off I'll use it to kill them (example: Lifegrip into boss during attenuation will typically kill anyone).

Answers to 2 and 3 are dependent on your raid. I'll either not use it all or use it on shammy for spiritwalkers or rogue for cloak when I go balance for ele. Overall it doesn't do much for giver or receiver at least in my opinion.

No clue on 4, I think they just see the buff. There are mods though that make you auto-whisper the target telling them you put sym on them and what spell they got.

Deleted
    I use it either on the tank or on the shami. Like night mentioned spiritwalkers grace can be really helpful in movement heavy fights, whilst casting it on the tanks gives me a dmg reduction cool down (icebound fortitude ect.) which is nice to have in situations with heavy raid dmg, because it helps you to keep yourself alive easier, so you can concentrate more on the others
    But this spell is just really really situational there is no "goto" spell, you have to adjust to the encounter on hand

1. I'm pretty sure people are forgetting to use it, even if I let them know that they have it. So I cast it for my own sake mostly. Unless it's the tank I'm doing CM's with or something like that.

2. Not sure tbh. Maybe a DK. As you probably know they get mushrooms as DPS which, I believe, *can* be a DPS increase if used properly. As tanks they get a decent survival CD. And for yourself, you get Icebound Fortitude which is also pretty useful.

3. DK's for IF. Hunters for Deterrence (clearing mines on Stone Guards) and Mages for various debuffs. And yeah, as mentioned, Shamans for the channeled tranq while on the move.

4. I'm pretty sure they get a notification that says "Symbiosis" or "Symbiosis cast on you". I'm guessing it looks like when you recieve a heal or similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually base it on what spell I get back, because most people don't even realize you put symbiosis on them.
    And I usually use it on a monk or DK to get an extra defensive CD.

4. I'm pretty sure they get a notification that says "Symbiosis" or "Symbiosis cast on you". I'm guessing it looks like when you recieve a heal or similar.
    They do, but people still hardly ever notice or use the spells they recieve (in a pug situation at least).

I usually use it on shadow priests, one for lifegrip and they get tranq, which is pretty cool.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

As resto, I will always cast it on a shaman or a mage if available. They have the most utility. On a shaman, you get spiritwalker's grace. Being able to channel tranquility while moving is AMAZING. Especially on movement heavy fights. And mages in case shit hits the fan and you need to iceblock a mechanic that would otherwise kill you. Just my personal opinion but these are the only two that give anything really useful. Life grip really isn't that useful and the tranquility that shadow priests get barely does any healing at all. I sometimes do put it on a tank though, the extra defensive cooldown can be helpful for them if they actually use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    1. In general, do you base your symbiosis target on what it will do for you, or what it will do for the target?
    I base it on what it will do for me, the spell we gain are in most situations far superior to what the target gains.

2. Is there a certain target that is preferred for standard situations when a certain gimic does not require a specific symbiosis target (looking for basically a default)
    If you don't know what's going to happen, then taking ice block (or deterrence, both have their uses) is often a good choice.
    If you just want a useful spell for most encounters then spiritwalker's grace from shamans makes life a bit easier, dmg reduction cds from monk/dk makes it safer.

Totally depends on the boss fight, for example msv (following uses are basically what I used for progress, these days I just use spiritwalker's Grace because I think it looks cool running around while using tranq):
    Stone guards: Deterrence for traps, or if no traps then life grip can be nice for chains.
    Feng: Ice block for that arcane debuff
    Garajal: Anything really, or nothing, used fortifying brew for the last couple of %.
    Spirit kings: Ice block for pinning arrows
    Elegon: Spiritwalker's grace so I could tranq while running when the adds are up.
    Will of the emperors: Deterrence for soaking the spark spawning from courage.

Due to work issues, haven't really been able to raid since MoP came out, but that is about to change. I'm looking for advice on how to best utilize symbiosis in normal/heroic raids. I've read what it does to both the caster and recipients. In general, it appears the benefits for the tanks would be most useful, although those dont seem to benefit the druid caster very well. Giving a shadowpriest tranq also seems great, but that doesn't benefit the druid much at all (besides messing around). I know about spiritwalkers grace being the best for movement fights, but the benefits to the shaman seem pretty weak. In general, i know the best usage will almost always be situational.

But what are peoples experiences. I have a few questions about this and am also very open/interested in other general comments/discussions about symbiosis:

4. This is random, but does anyone know if the target of symbiosis gets some type of in game notification that it was cast on them?

Thanks!
    1. what it does for me.
    2. priest (life grip)
    3. priest, mage or DK/monk
    4. they get a buff. addons might give notifications

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 10:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fenlnir View Post
    I usually use it on shadow priests, one for lifegrip and they get tranq, which is pretty cool.
    spriest tranq is not worth casting. which seems to be a common theme with symbiosis sadly. they aid the raid more by just continuing to dps

10+ Year Old Account
    I use it for the spell i get, i got an addon to help me keep track of what i will get. Here is a link
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/symbiosis

Deleted
    Resto symbiosis choices.
    Generally you should choose the spell that will benefit you the most. rarely is your targets spell as powerful.
    Good choices include.
    !. shaman for spiritwalkers grace. macro this to tranquility and moving from fire won't interupt your cast.
    2. dk's or monks for an extra damage reduction cd. good for fights like gara'jal with little movement.
    3. Hunters for deterrance. you can't heal with this up but u can blow up cobalt mines or take on the 2ary adds from will of the emperor hc.
    4. mages. ice block is fantastic for getting out of pinning arrow on spirit kings or removing debuffs (blade lord hc springs to mind as a debuff to lose).
    5. warriors. aoe fear is great in arena and bg's. (say goodbye to that annoying stampede).
    6. the priest lifegrip thing i mainly use on trash for lol's esp macro'd to wild charge so we swop places. i am sure more imaginative druids actually get more constructive use from this.
    7. paladins. we get a stupid spell and if u give it to a holydin they get the power to brez. they were not designed and nor can they cope with this power....avoid.
    8. warlocks teleport thing is good for arena and bg's. haven't found a real use in raids yet.
    9. rogue evasion again i haven't found a use.
    generally as a resto druid i find that i most often cause wipes by forgetting to put symbiosis on the right target (esp when it was for an immunity spell) or forgetting that i needed to talent into ursol's vortex/typhoon for feng hc adds.
    This is a very brief bullet point guide to how I use symbiosis. There are a lot of choices and most fights several of them are good.
    If you have a default choice that you use for most fights i would say you are doing it a bit wrong. (although i miss spiritwalkers grace when i don't have it).

Deleted
    mostly i go for Spirit grace, deterrance or ice block for myself.

But some fights on HC is it pretty cool to give Tanks an extra CD, so they can chain there CD and even call for ure Ironbark, as well.

Icebound can break you out of amber trap and rain of arrows. Spiritwalker's grace for Lei Shi and bladelord. Deterrence for death blossom and sparks on will. Iceblock can be strong if you have to stand out for feng during arcane aoe thing and to drop debuffs like amber parasite. Otherwise fort brew is the strongest followed by icebound for general purpose damage reduction. From a benefit to target standpoint dps DKs are the only class that get a dps increase from it. Pally tanks get the best tank ability imo. The other tanks benefit is more marginal, again imo.