Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Six Strikes Administrator: Loss Of Open WiFi Access At Cafes Is Acceptable

Six Strikes Administrator: Loss Of Open WiFi Access At Cafes Is Acceptable Collateral Damage

We recently covered some of the details of various "six strikes" policies being implemented by most of the large broadband providers in the US, noting that with Verizon's, it appeared that small businesses that offered free and open WiFi could get in trouble for doing so. TorrentFreak has followed up with Jill Lesser, the executive director of the Center for Copyright Information (CCI), the organization coordinating these plans, and discovered that this impact on small businesses is not an error, and Lesser does not seem to see a problem with it, arguing that offering such open and free WiFi is a violation of the terms of service for most small businesses.
    “In addition, the terms of service on such accounts do not allow them to be used to provide free WiFi or ‘hotspots’ so the hypothetical cafe owner offering public WiFi will not be subject to the CAS if they are following their terms of service.”
    Similarly, she says that if it impacts small businesses or home-based businesses that use residential accounts, she doesn't see it as a problem, since those businesses shouldn't "allow" their employees to "engage in copyright theft." Of course, it's not theft, but infringement -- and it's frustrating that someone like Lesser would misrepresent these things.

That said, her cavalier attitude towards these very common scenarios, which will have real impacts on a variety of small businesses, is unfortunate and dangerous. The importance of a fully working broadband connection to small businesses todays cannot be overstated. To suggest that all of this is okay because they're not following an almost universally ignored term in the terms of service on such accounts seems to be dismissing things way too simply.

The end result of this is likely to be a lot less public and open WiFi at a time when we actually need much more open access. That may not matter to the RIAA and MPAA -- who still don't understand the importance and value of internet access -- but it matters an awful lot to the pubilc and a variety of small businesses.
    The extent that companies will go to over piracy, and copyrights, just seems to astound me, what about yall?

And, would you agree with re-doing copyright laws in the U.S., at least for laws regarding the internet, and its' content.

Hopefully, one day, these media companies will realize that people place very little value on their product, and that watching a movie or TV show, or playing a game, is really only worth a couple of bucks at most to people. There is a reason why Redbox is so successful, and it's not because people like renting movies at gas stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Hopefully, one day, these media companies will realize that people place very little value on their product, and that watching a movie or TV show, or playing a game, is really only worth a couple of bucks at most to people. There is a reason why Redbox is so successful, and it's not because people like renting movies at gas stations.
    Indeed, and another reason why Netflix does as well as it does.

Copyright laws need a total re-evaluation.

I blame the lack of such action on the "old generation" of politicians, people who didn't grow up with the Internet and hates video games.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    In complete agreement here.
    They fear that without proper enforcement to the max, that competition in the US will slump, move to another country with better enforcement, and bring forward a decline in the U.S. economy... Heh, what's this economic decline I'm seeing right now? Eh Idk. >_>

This might be a little more on a different topic, but I understand downloading torrents of movies, music, games, and other software can cause a problem for bushiness, but it becomes silly when the businesses themselves try and make their stuff bullet proof only to have it cracked by some kid in a matter of seconds after its release. All it takes is one illegal copy to reach the internet and all that bullet proofing has been shattered.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-01-22 at 07:47 PM.
    I make Trance, let me know what you think! SoundCloud YouTube

I blame the lack of such action on the "old generation" of politicians, people who didn't grow up with the Internet and hates video games.
    For the most part current copyright laws are fine; but like with almost every other law on the planet, if you have billions of dollars and hundreds of lawyers at your disposal you can find plenty of loopholes. DMCA take-down trolling on Youtube/other streaming video services for example. They just hire third parties in foreign countries to do all the take-down notices in order to skirt the millions of perjury charges they would otherwise be facing, and in the mean time, they can really cost indie producers a ton of money in the process.

They will ALWAYS find loopholes like that. It's up to the consumer to actually boycott and follow through. Until consumers are willing to make sacrifices like "not seeing the next sequel to ____, on any medium, EVER because the producer engaged in DMCA trolling" they are just going to keep doing it, and keep getting away with it.

Admittedly though, it's not as much the politicians, it's just as much their voting majority or sponsors. A lot of it is pandering to their voterbase, or to attack the easiest scapegoat that can't fight back in terms of their own interest.

Really, it's stupidity, but a lot of it is also just in terms of pandering to those who hate video games.

Re-do please.

Extent of this is just... well, stupid quite frankly, unless screwing with small businesses is the plan.

Success by force, not by quality. =\

Adjust or die. Do not change the laws to suit the corporations. You do not see them passing laws to keep digital media outlawed so news papers can stay in business.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

US copyright law is draconian.
    I'm a gun-toting, Constitution clinging American atheist, in that order.

Bloodsail Admiral
    ah capitalism, you've got to love it, where companies just dont give a shit, and only look out for themselves, where the only morals or ethics are those you can get people to pay for.
    No game will ever kill wow. Though Blizard themselves are making a pretty damm good attempt lately.

THE FIRST RULE OF BRAWLERS GUILD IS YOU DO NOT GET INVITED TO BRAWLERS GUILD.

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    ah capitalism, you've got to love it, where companies just dont give a shit, and only look out for themselves, where the only morals or ethics are those you can get people to pay for.
    There's a difference between "Crony capitalism" and "Free-market capitalism"

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Extent of this is just... well, stupid quite frankly, unless screwing with small businesses is the plan.
    You think the entertainment industry has any qualms at all about screwing small businesses? Or any qualms about anything at all?

BMI and ASCAP regularly sue businesses for having a radio playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    There's a difference between "Crony capitalism" and "Free-market capitalism"
    Yes, specifically a lack of effective regulation and time. Add those and the latter will become the former.

Copyright is broken, but nothing will change. After all it was just 10 years ago DMCA came out, and they seem pretty adamant on holding to it though it basically denies consumers any rights.

copyright law is broken and out of control but there isnt much we can do about it. the companies will simply buy out congressmen.

Just curious, are there any countries that have copyright laws that would be an ideal example to follow? Or are they all as bad as the ones here.

Ok, so I STILL don't have any guilt for pirating. let the privateering continue.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

While I agree that US Copyright laws need a severe overhaul (the abuse by patent trolls immediately comes to mind), blatantly stealing someone else's work (software, music, wife, whatever [yes, wife is a joke]) is complete bullshit.
    If a business wants to use an open hotspot to lure in a random customer, they run the risk of being labeled by service providers as facilitating piracy if digital information/products/services are being distributed/downloaded by some dipshit who has no regard for someone's time/effort that was put into a product that is for sale.

Edit: For those of you who freely pirate that which doesn't belong to you (or that which you've purchased only one copy of), how would you feel if your business depended on the sales of a product for which nobody was paying for, yet freely using?
    Last edited by fooliuscaesar13; 2013-01-22 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    While I agree that US Copyright laws need a severe overhaul (the abuse by patent trolls immediately comes to mind), blatantly stealing someone else's work (software, music, wife, whatever [yes, wife is a joke]) is complete bullshit.
    If a business wants to use an open hotspot to lure in a random customer, they run the risk of being labeled by service providers as facilitating piracy if digital information/products/services are being distributed/downloaded by some dipshit who has no regard for someone's time/effort that was put into a product that is for sale.

Edit: For those of you who freely pirate that which doesn't belong to you (or that which you've purchased only one copy of), how would you feel if your business depended on the sales of a product for which nobody was paying for, yet freely using?
    Good thing I'm not actually stealing anything or costing the maker any money...

Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Mechagnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Six Strikes Administrator: Loss Of Open WiFi Access At Cafes Is Acceptable Collateral Damage

The extent that companies will go to over piracy, and copyrights, just seems to astound me, what about yall?

And, would you agree with re-doing copyright laws in the U.S., at least for laws regarding the internet, and its' content.

In fact, what I don't understand is the logic behind all their freakouts...99% of the people pirating their stuff WILL NOT buy it if it's not avalaible for free anymore anyway...

They only lose money fighting an uphill battle...