Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

David Cameron speech: UK and the EU

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282
    intresting pretty much we want to be in EU but by our terms.

Deleted
    Clicked because i read James Cameron, left because it wasnt.

David Cameron will run the country into the ground just to shut up a few back-bench no-name MPs >.>

You need certainty to get out of recession. You need investment to get out of a recession. Gambling it all on a referendum in 5 years time isn't going to get you either of them.

Right now, I think even Ed Milliband would do a better job than Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    David Cameron will run the country into the ground just to shut up a few back-bench no-name MPs >.>

You need certainty to get out of recession. You need investment to get out of a recession. Gambling it all on a referendum in 5 years time isn't going to get you either of them.

Right now, I think even Ed Milliband would do a better job than Cameron.
    so true, so true back to labour we go

Deleted
    People in Switzerland or Norway have rejected EU membership and I don't see them exactly suffering for it. If not necessarily leave EU I'd love to roll back all the retarded decisions of the last 20 years with people in the North paying for tax evaders and frauds in Greek or Cyprus.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    People in Switzerland or Norway have rejected EU membership and I don't see them exactly suffering for it. If not necessarily leave EU I'd love to roll back all the retarded decisions of the last 20 years with people in the North paying for tax evaders and frauds in Greek or Cyprus.
    Zurich and Oslo don't process the majority of the financial deals in Europe though. London does. Britain depends on investment from EU countries more than any of the Tories (except perhaps Hesseltine) are ready to admit. That investment would dry up for years, if not a decade if Britain were to need to renegotiate with Brussels.

Deleted
    Don't have the numbers at hand and no time to look it up, but I'd love to see if banking/financial sector hasn't a higher quota of Swiss gross domestic product vs UK's. Back in two hours or so

Still your investment point stands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282
    intresting pretty much we want to be in EU but by our terms.
    The problem with referenda is the outcome often depends more on how voters feel about the current government, than what they think of the issue.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 11:14 AM ----------

People in Switzerland or Norway have rejected EU membership and I don't see them exactly suffering for it.
    Both those countries are in the European Economic Area.

Which pretty much means they get to swallow most EU directives, but without being allowed to vote on them. Though they do lobby heavily in Brussels.

I don't think that's what Britons have in mind.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 11:26 AM ----------

Don't have the numbers at hand and no time to look it up, but I'd love to see if banking/financial sector hasn't a higher quota of Swiss gross domestic product vs UK's. Back in two hours or so
    London and New York are the two main financial centers in the world. Zurich isn't, but Switzerland is very small, so Zurich may be larger relative to its host country.

But why London and New York?

New York is obvious, it's the financial center of the US, and US is the country with the largest economy.
    And London? Even though the UK does not have the euro, the financial market in London does more in euros than all other European financial markets combined. Because the UK does have unlimited access to the common (financial) market.

To leave the EU would be bad for London.

Deleted
    The foreign reaction to any talk of negotiation is "no way". That being so, I intend to vote to tell the EU where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    The foreign reaction to any talk of negotiation is "no way". That being so, I intend to vote to tell the EU where to go.
    Maybe the government's approach (storm out of negotiations in a huff if you don't get everything you want) is wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    It makes sense to leave the EU, both economically and culturally. Eu membership is stifling competitiveness and growth more so in liberal and flexible economies like the UK.

Deleted
    And what other choice do we have? Any talk of renegotiation is shot down as the UK trying to cherry-pick. David Cameron spoke a lot of sense about what Britain would like to look at, not just in Britain's interests, but for the benefit of the entire EU. Despite this we are immediately told that it isn't going to happen, that the EU will go on as it is. That's simply unacceptable, and the UK is right to leave if nothing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    And what other choice do we have? Any talk of renegotiation is shot down as the UK trying to cherry-pick. David Cameron spoke a lot of sense about what Britain would like to look at, not just in Britain's interests, but for the benefit of the entire EU. Despite this we are immediately told that it isn't going to happen, that the EU will go on as it is. That's simply unacceptable, and the UK is right to leave if nothing changes.
    They did the same in the common market in the '80s and '90s, rail-roaded Britain into a recession (that made George Soros an extremely rich man)

Deleted
    2017, why not sooner? He's very unlikely to win the next election, he wants to stay in the EU and this move is simply to keep his MPs from moving to UKIP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    2017, why not sooner? He's very unlikely to win the next election, he wants to stay in the EU and this move is simply to keep his MPs from moving to UKIP.
    Maybe you need a super-majority to call a referendum? I could be wrong though, I'm not sure how parliamentary matters work in the UK.

Deleted
    from what i get from his speech is that he wants less power in Brussels, but doesn't want to leave the EU.

Way to make people not discuss the muslim/gypsy problem in UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castiell View Post
    Clicked because i read James Cameron, left because it wasnt.
    and now i realize how he came into power >.<

The avatar film was released a few months before the election and people thought he would save Pandora -.-

I pretty much hate all three major parties...

Conservatives- Increase uni frees by *3 (luckily it changed the year after i started )

Labour - cut local council funds forcing 1/2 the libraries, a theater, sports stadium and a museum to close in the city.

Lib dem - we shall stand up to the conservatives! <10 minutes later> Nick and David kissing in a tree..K.I.S.S.I.N.G
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-01-23 at 11:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Way to make people not discuss the muslim/gypsy problem in UK.
    what ?
    There is no Muslim / Gypsy problem in the UK. There is a problem with illegal immigrants, Health tourists, and people coming here to scrounge benefits, there is also the problem about us not being able to deport people WE feel are not desriable due to the EU "Human rights" debacle.

To insinuate that there is a Muslim / Gypsy problem in the UK is a completely racist attitude, and people with this sort of view belong in a different era of history.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    Maybe you need a super-majority to call a referendum? I could be wrong though, I'm not sure how parliamentary matters work in the UK.
    http://www.parliament.uk/education/o...d/referendums/ . Doesn't say anything about that.