Gif signatures, maybe disallow?

Alright, so maybe it's just because I should be buying a cane at the ripe old age of 25 or something, but do we really need gifs in signatures? From what I see, hardly anyone uses them, and the few that do generally seem to use them for what amounts to passive trolling. Beetles crawling, a fly, etc, trying to make you think something has sat itself on your screen.

If it isn't that, it's something moving swiftly (Crows circling, motherfucking ponies jumping) that can at times distract you and make it hard to concentrate on, you know.. Trying to read a post. On a forum.

Just figured I'd try and see what you guys thought about stopping people from using gifs.

Naaah, they are fine. I agree that some animated gifs can be annoying sometimes, but all the ones I've seen used here have been fine.

Just no crazy flashing colours please.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

some of them are pretty annoying, i know nothing about coding and the like but perhaps an option to hide seeing peoples sigs and the like might be nice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
    some of them are pretty annoying, i know nothing about coding and the like but perhaps an option to hide seeing peoples sigs and the like might be nice.
    You can hide them already Settings-> General Settings -> Visible Post Elements, uncheck what you don't want

Used this as a signature for a few hours. Looks cool, but it's way to distracting to be on ever post.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Alright, so maybe it's just because I should be buying a cane at the ripe old age of 25 or something, but do we really need gifs in signatures? From what I see, hardly anyone uses them, and the few that do generally seem to use them for what amounts to passive trolling. Beetles crawling, a fly, etc, trying to make you think something has sat itself on your screen.

If it isn't that, it's something moving swiftly (Crows circling, motherfucking ponies jumping) that can at times distract you and make it hard to concentrate on, you know.. Trying to read a post. On a forum.

Just figured I'd try and see what you guys thought about stopping people from using gifs.
    I can agree with you actually. There is the possibility to disable signature images in the settings I think, but I don't actually mind seeing non-animated signatures. Some of them can be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandira View Post
    You can hide them already Settings-> General Settings -> Visible Post Elements, uncheck what you don't want
    oh wow didnt realise that, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    Well this would certainly suck for me

I personally think they're fine unless they're extremely flashy.
    ^The sheep has spoken!

Also, it is super fluffy.
    * Snuggles*
    So fluffy...
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    They're generally fine.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/members/659753-Dalliah
    Best animated gif sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    They're generally fine.
    Best animated gif sig.

That is... The greatest thing I've seen all day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    They're generally fine.
    Best animated gif sig.

I was just about to post that.. but then saw you already did

Dal's sig is the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have images hidden (in signatures and posts; they display as an image link to me), so I will admit I never see them to know how big of a problem it is, but considering the size restrictions on signatures I'd think most people would be too limited to use anything super annoying anyway.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Dal's sig is the best.
    yup!

--

As for gifs in signatures. I've seen plenty and I've never really been bothered by one so far, as far as I can remember. I don't really see any problem with them as long as it's not anything flashy or super irritating.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it's a particularly crazy flashing annoying distracting one, then yeah, we can deal with it.

Otherwise, I'd like to believe that people can use animation for good..