1. #1

    Gif signatures, maybe disallow?

    Alright, so maybe it's just because I should be buying a cane at the ripe old age of 25 or something, but do we really need gifs in signatures? From what I see, hardly anyone uses them, and the few that do generally seem to use them for what amounts to passive trolling. Beetles crawling, a fly, etc, trying to make you think something has sat itself on your screen.

    If it isn't that, it's something moving swiftly (Crows circling, motherfucking ponies jumping) that can at times distract you and make it hard to concentrate on, you know.. Trying to read a post. On a forum.

    Just figured I'd try and see what you guys thought about stopping people from using gifs.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    3,915
    Naaah, they are fine. I agree that some animated gifs can be annoying sometimes, but all the ones I've seen used here have been fine.

    Just no crazy flashing colours please.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Unf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Medellín, Colombia
    Posts
    4,613
    I never had an issue with animated signatures, there is really nothing wrong with them as long as they are under the limit size.

  4. #4
    some of them are pretty annoying, i know nothing about coding and the like but perhaps an option to hide seeing peoples sigs and the like might be nice.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
    some of them are pretty annoying, i know nothing about coding and the like but perhaps an option to hide seeing peoples sigs and the like might be nice.
    You can hide them already Settings-> General Settings -> Visible Post Elements, uncheck what you don't want

  6. #6
    Legendary! Cybran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pripyat marshes
    Posts
    6,447


    Used this as a signature for a few hours. Looks cool, but it's way to distracting to be on ever post.

  7. #7
    Immortal Noomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In my head, where crazy happens.
    Posts
    7,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Alright, so maybe it's just because I should be buying a cane at the ripe old age of 25 or something, but do we really need gifs in signatures? From what I see, hardly anyone uses them, and the few that do generally seem to use them for what amounts to passive trolling. Beetles crawling, a fly, etc, trying to make you think something has sat itself on your screen.

    If it isn't that, it's something moving swiftly (Crows circling, motherfucking ponies jumping) that can at times distract you and make it hard to concentrate on, you know.. Trying to read a post. On a forum.

    Just figured I'd try and see what you guys thought about stopping people from using gifs.
    I can agree with you actually. There is the possibility to disable signature images in the settings I think, but I don't actually mind seeing non-animated signatures. Some of them can be nice.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandira View Post
    You can hide them already Settings-> General Settings -> Visible Post Elements, uncheck what you don't want
    oh wow didnt realise that, thanks.

  9. #9
    Smile! Migari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    u ma xoxo L O V E
    Posts
    5,533
    Well this would certainly suck for me

    I personally think they're fine unless they're extremely flashy.

    Easy go easy go easy go easy go easy go easy go easy go boy

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Buildin' a sentry!
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    Well this would certainly suck for me

    I personally think they're fine unless they're extremely flashy.
    ^The sheep has spoken!

    Also, it is super fluffy.
    * Snuggles*
    So fluffy...

  11. #11
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    聖ミカエル女子学園
    Posts
    5,972
    They're generally fine.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/members/659753-Dalliah
    Best animated gif sig.


  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire Joathen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    They're generally fine.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/members/659753-Dalliah
    Best animated gif sig.


    That is... The greatest thing I've seen all day.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    They're generally fine.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/members/659753-Dalliah
    Best animated gif sig.

    I was just about to post that.. but then saw you already did

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rainbow Road
    Posts
    5,878
    Dal's sig is the best.

  15. #15
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    9,351
    I have images hidden (in signatures and posts; they display as an image link to me), so I will admit I never see them to know how big of a problem it is, but considering the size restrictions on signatures I'd think most people would be too limited to use anything super annoying anyway.
    AbathurSnuggles: Heroes Tech Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Super Mod:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimca Elysia

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Dal's sig is the best.
    yup!

    --

    As for gifs in signatures. I've seen plenty and I've never really been bothered by one so far, as far as I can remember. I don't really see any problem with them as long as it's not anything flashy or super irritating.

  17. #17
    Miss Doctor Lady Bear Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    15,038
    If it's a particularly crazy flashing annoying distracting one, then yeah, we can deal with it.

    Otherwise, I'd like to believe that people can use animation for good..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •