1. #1

    How easy is it for Monks to solo raids.

    I have read the post below but just wondering how wimple Monks are to play when it comes to soloing old raids? Not talking about stuff everyone can do like Naxx and anything below that. Stuff like Ulduar, ICC, Cata raids. I know I have a DK but Im keeping him at 85 for right now. But I can still solo all of Naxx and most stuff below that even only being 85. Also its pretty easy. I just have to throw up disease then use my normal rotation and sac my ghoul if I need a big heal heal. From there its just knowing when to use stuff like AMS and AMZ to mitigate magic damage and moving out of bad stuff on the ground.

    Im looking for a new class I have never played before to just use for soloing old raids and trying to decide b/t rolling a Hunter and a Monk. Was just wondering which was easier. By easier I mean taking down stuff fairly easily and also as little button mashing as possible. And having Oh Shit buttons and healing if something goes wrong.

  2. #2
    Not as strong as a DK but there is an extensive thread only a few posts down that covers some pretty difficult solo content.

  3. #3
    Depends what you want to do, but as windwalker, using Touch of Karma, Chi Wave and all other toons, I had no issue killing all Tier 5 and Tier 6, the only one I couldn't was Lady Vasjh. Touch of Death is also seriously good on those bosses.

    I had a little more difficulty when I went in Ulduar 10, it totally depends which boss.. but I had less gear so maybe it will do a difference now. I had no issue with Razorscale, Kologarn and the cat lady, but I had issues doing Iron Council in difficult mode, Ignis I had more chance as a healer, but I got too many adds at some point, and I just gave up with Hodir.

    I soloed ToC 10 too without too much of an issue. It sometimes take a few pull to get a winning strat, but it works.

    I didn't try ICC yet.

    It's probably a lot easier as brewmaster, but I'm sadly a healer and have no clue how brewmaster works.

    Edit: I forgot, I did try ICC... I gave up on Gunship and figured it was just not doable solo.. maybe it is, but after a couple of tries it started bugging on me where I couldn't even get into a cannon.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2013-01-22 at 07:54 AM.
    Karuzo, mistweaver monk | Macphisto, discipline priest
    Formerly in Razzia Arthas-US (US #6), no new home yet, surprise guild disbands just before xpac are fun!

  4. #4
    I've solo'd a few Cataclysm bosses when I was bored one day. Could probably take down a few more if I dedicated a few hours to it.

    Monks are quite strong at soloing, but you really need to know the mechanics of the class as well as the boss you're fighting. Little things such as Guard boosting your self heals, meaning timing Chi Wave/Expel Harm/picking up Gift of the Ox orbs with it is a good idea, and is the sort of thing that can be overlooked.

    Talking about the difficult solo content with the above paragraph. Obviously for stuff like early WotLK/TBC/Vanilla, it's faceroll.

  5. #5
    Being a pet class, Hunters are certain to be able to solo some content that we (monks) can't, but given our strong self healing and overall utility I'm fairly certain that we can probably solo stuff a hunter can't as well. Though I don't know of anything specifically off hand. Long story short, both hunters and monks make strong solo classes so I would say play whichever feels more comfortable / fun to you. If you don't have a high level hunter or monk, now is a good time because 5.2 is on the PTR and you should be able to create a pre-made toon there. Doing so will give you a chance to play around with both classes at high end with decent gear to know which you prefer.

  6. #6
    Monks will be even better soloing with the healing talent changes coming in 5.2. As it stands, I accidentally solo'd half of naxx25 when I didn't notice which lock I had on, and all 10man stuff that isn't gimmicked so you need 2 people pre-cata is pretty easy. Enrage timers can get a little tight as BM because the dps is so heavily tied to vengeance which you don't get a lot of though.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Monks will be even better soloing with the healing talent changes coming in 5.2
    I'm not 100% sure about this. If the boss is able to kill you in 10-15 seconds, then the increased cooldown on Chi Wave will make it difficult to survive while it's not available. I mean, its healing is doubled, but these changes make you really safe every 15 seconds (during a time period depending on the bounce time), but naked the rest of the time. Having a lesser but consistent healing is sometimes better, even if it costs Chi, since anyway Shuffle is not always necessary against the kind of bosses one wants to solo.

    I've recently fought the Stone Guards (10 man normal) until the enrage, and i did this thanks to Chi Wave every 8 seconds. When 5.2 is released, i'll have to rely on Expel Harm alone while Chi Wave is on its long cooldown, which will make things more complex. Common sense would make one argue that it will be more doable (let alone the increased ilvl of 5.2 gear) and that the changes to Chi Wave will probably make the enrage timer totally beatable, but it will be... different.

    But Sonte Guards is just an example, and i'm quite sure it applies to many Cata bosses.
    Last edited by Morion; 2013-01-22 at 04:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Not sure if its harder at level 90, but i solo old raids on my 85 BrM.

    classic- every boss
    BC- every boss except kalecgos
    wrath- working on naxx 10 and 25 most done, ulduar 10 all but thorim, general and yogg, just havn't got to them yet.
    icc sindy and lich king,
    cata- all heroics except end time, and couple bosses in za/zg due to mechanics

  9. #9
    A lot of them might actually be easier at 80 than 85 or 90 due to the 409 ilvl MoP blues that a level 80 can wear. I know I've heard paladins can become pretty much unhittable when twinked propery, I'm not sure about monks but I would guess the stat scaling problem would exist for us too.

  10. #10
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kadath, Cold Wastes
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I have read the post below but just wondering how wimple Monks are to play when it comes to soloing old raids? Not talking about stuff everyone can do like Naxx and anything below that. Stuff like Ulduar, ICC, Cata raids. I know I have a DK but Im keeping him at 85 for right now. But I can still solo all of Naxx and most stuff below that even only being 85. Also its pretty easy. I just have to throw up disease then use my normal rotation and sac my ghoul if I need a big heal heal. From there its just knowing when to use stuff like AMS and AMZ to mitigate magic damage and moving out of bad stuff on the ground.

    Im looking for a new class I have never played before to just use for soloing old raids and trying to decide b/t rolling a Hunter and a Monk. Was just wondering which was easier. By easier I mean taking down stuff fairly easily and also as little button mashing as possible. And having Oh Shit buttons and healing if something goes wrong.
    If it were me, I'd take Monk, simply because of buggy mechanics on the old encounters. In fact, I'm leveling a Brewmaster to replace DK as my soloist.

    Don't get me wrong. Hunters are excellent soloists. They do better than DKs on tight enrage timers -- there often isn't enough incoming damage to stack Vengeance. However...and this is a big "however"...you might not want a Hunter or DK to solo, simply because of the "pet problem". Any fight with mind control, or other "loss of control" mechanics, will be buggy enough to make your blood boil. No pun intended.

    Here's an example of the "pet problem": 2 weeks ago, I took my Blood DK (ilvl 469) to kill Kaelthas. It took 90 mins. I didn't die once. I was made to fight bloodworms, a ghoul, an army of the dead, and even a dancing rune weapon, which I'm not even sure is targetable or correctly classed as a minion. Nonetheless, it happened. He'd MC me, I'd clear the room, he'd despawn, fight would reset. 40g repair bill. No deaths. Finally got him by guess-and-checking MC timing and ducking out of LOS while he destroyed my bloodworms. Nothing else worked.

  11. #11
    Are the meta drakes for Wrath and Cata 5 mans easily soloable? I know you need stuns and interrupts for something like Less-rabi and im sure other fights need them as well. But im sure you can burn down less-rabi before he gets close to the instant transform. I know the mechanics for every fight from Vanilla-Firelands including all heroics so that shouldnt be a problem. Plus DBM basically plays the game for you anyways. I think the deciding factor will be the fact that you can gear a monk out a lot faster than a hunter due to instant tank or healer queues. Also the animations for monks look cool. Think I will go with Monk. They definitely seem like they can deal with trash a lot faster than a Hunter can and usually trash takes more damn time to clear than the actual bosses.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Are the meta drakes for Wrath and Cata 5 mans easily soloable? I know you need stuns and interrupts for something like Less-rabi and im sure other fights need them as well. But im sure you can burn down less-rabi before he gets close to the instant transform. I know the mechanics for every fight from Vanilla-Firelands including all heroics so that shouldnt be a problem. Plus DBM basically plays the game for you anyways. I think the deciding factor will be the fact that you can gear a monk out a lot faster than a hunter due to instant tank or healer queues. Also the animations for monks look cool. Think I will go with Monk. They definitely seem like they can deal with trash a lot faster than a Hunter can and usually trash takes more damn time to clear than the actual bosses.
    Yea Im kinda thinking about dropping my hunter and finishing up my monk for raid soloing. Hunter can just be a pain sometimes. Having to manage pet and my own abilities can sometimes make me not pay attention to the actual fight because you have to watch 2 health bars, yours and Mr. Turtle's. On fights where pet is taking a lot of damage and theres stuff I have to also look out for I tend to die or at least take a lot of damage cause I was too focused on my pet. Monk just seems like it would be more relaxing to solo with without having to worry about a pet. I might be wrong but they just seem easier to play than a hunter. I just dont know where people got the idea that hunter's were faceroll to play. My 4 rows of hotbars full of stuff that gets used regularly says otherwise.

    Im installing PTR just to see how monks play at max level but Im sure its easier than hunters. Especially being able to self heal a lot better. Also monk animations just look cool, and the sounds are so much better too.

  13. #13
    it depends whether the boss requires good dps or not, otherwise i can usually solo bosses by just spamming EH/Chi wave all day long

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Are the meta drakes for Wrath and Cata 5 mans easily soloable? I know you need stuns and interrupts for something like Less-rabi and im sure other fights need them as well. But im sure you can burn down less-rabi before he gets close to the instant transform. I know the mechanics for every fight from Vanilla-Firelands including all heroics so that shouldnt be a problem. Plus DBM basically plays the game for you anyways. I think the deciding factor will be the fact that you can gear a monk out a lot faster than a hunter due to instant tank or healer queues. Also the animations for monks look cool. Think I will go with Monk. They definitely seem like they can deal with trash a lot faster than a Hunter can and usually trash takes more damn time to clear than the actual bosses.
    The WotLK one is easily soloable. I didn't do it myself, but a guildie did on his Monk.

    As for Less-rabi himself... He has around 400,000 HP. We're above that HP level. Touch of Death, one shot, easy achi. :P

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    The WotLK one is easily soloable. I didn't do it myself, but a guildie did on his Monk.

    As for Less-rabi himself... He has around 400,000 HP. We're above that HP level. Touch of Death, one shot, easy achi. :P
    This isn't entirely true. The Share The Love achievement requires a full party, but I've soloed the rest of it. And yeah, Less-Rabi was ez-mode with Touch of Death. The only other one that's a bit challenging solo is the Occulus drake rider achievements. I ended up two boxing these with my second account so I killed Eregos on my monk while my druid was sitting on a drake doing nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •