Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is Europe so liberal?

As an American, I find it curious as to why Europe is so liberal. Why is that part of the world so left in their thinking? Now i'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing. Whatever your way of thinking is, be it left or right, what makes the countries of Europe so left wing?

One would think after all the wars over there, they would appreciate liberty and freedom and core conservative values. Personally I sort of think its because the moral fiber of communities in Europe have started to decline, or make a shift Also the birth rate in some countries over there is less than 2, which means their populations are declining rather than increasing. Would this mean people are becoming more self centered and only want to live for themselves (since they are choosing not to have children)?

I hope this can be a civil discussion and the posts here can be on topic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    As an American, I find it curious as to why Europe is so liberal. Why is that part of the world so left in their thinking? Now i'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing. Whatever your way of thinking is, be it left or right, what makes the countries of Europe so left wing?

One would think after all the wars over there, they would appreciate liberty and freedom and core conservative values. Personally I sort of think its because the moral fiber of communities in Europe have started to decline, or make a shift Also the birth rate in some countries over there is less than 2, which means their populations are declining rather than increasing. Would this mean people are becoming more self centered and only want to live for themselves (since they are choosing not to have children)?

I hope this can be a civil discussion and the posts here can be on topic.
    You do know what liberal actually means? Most of Europe is much more free than the USA is.

I just remember the last European nation that went a little too far to the right....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You do know what liberal actually means? Most of Europe is much more free than the USA is.
    I highly doubt that.

Deleted
    better education and less brainwashing (seriously, this is my opinion, having spent chunks of my life in both Europe and US)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you defining "liberty and freedom" as core conservative values?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Because the notion of liberalism does not exist here, its an american invention.

State of mind and how they were raised. Its not because we are all self centered, its just the way we were brought up I'd say (or the way they were brought up because Irish does not really equal European tbh). The point on children might have something to do with people not having more children then they can afford to care for, especially in the last few years. Anyway the EU is a very big place, not all of it is liberal, there are many different ways of thinking in the eu that is just one that is heavily been associated with it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    I highly doubt that.
    Patriot act springs to mind.

I highly doubt that.
    There was a poll around on here somewhere, several EU nations ranked above the US for personal liberties. I believe The Netherlands was at the very top for personal liberty.

It's mostly a Marshall plan thing. FDR/Truman couldn't get a lot of that stuff passed in the USA, but they didn't have a problem inserting into Europe.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Deleted
    Letting people die on the streets because they can't pay medical bills is a good thing Jaylock?

I highly doubt that.
    Doubt all you wish. Facts are facts.

I find that most central European Countries (Germany, France etc...) are Liberal, while the United Kingdom is fairly conservative, and the further east you go, the more conservative it gets again.

I highly doubt that.
    We don't generally get detained without official charges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm. I understand that when Napoleon swept through Europe, he brought with him a lot of the French values of Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite. Those values dovetail nicely into liberalism. Plus, France and many countries in those areas have a strong protest and union culture that tends to promote the idea of collectivism and helping the underdog. Plus, Britain is where Keynes got his start, and the dole was considered a very successful program there.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haelen View Post
    better education and less brainwashing (seriously, this is my opinion, having spent chunks of my life in both Europe and US)
    Wait how do you have less than 0 brainwashing?

better Education, maybe different, I doubt better though.

So ok....I'm gonna go ahead and call very good troll?

Reasons being as another American the media defines liberal (and what you're referring too as I assume) as wanting gay marriage, free health care, and such...so I'm curious as to how that is self centered.....like at all? "Uh yeah, I only care about my self so I'm gonna give you the same freedoms as I have with my wife and give you great health care for free...in fact everyone can have health care because I want to be self centered so I'm only looking out for my self by giving everyone freedoms and.....yeah!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castiell View Post
    Want to provide some context?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

"I hope this can be a civil discussion"

After you've uninformedly generalised, judged and generally just taken a dump on Europe.

Good luck with that.