Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Scarab Lord MasterOfKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    its only screen's though.. he didnt say playable or footage.. or did i miss something.
    Of course its only footage, but personally I'm quite the Smash Bros freak, any little snippet of anything new regarding Smash Bros makes me hyped as shit. I actually prefer screening footage over the clumsy footage that people get from the playable demos.

  2. #42
    WHAT THE SWEET FUCK?

    I don't even have a Wii U and the fact that they're rereleasing Wind Waker pisses me off so hard. What the fuck Nintendo?

    Why the hell would they do that. It's already the most well-aging Zelda game, it's cel-shaded graphics holding up extremely well even today, and the Gamecube version can be played on the Wii anyway, as it had backwards compatability. So on that front there is no reason whatsoever to remake it, especially since it doesn't look like they are adding anything even remotely worth it. And where the hell is Majora's Mask? That game is older, far better (The Wind Waker was easily the worst Zelda game I have ever played. In fact, probably one of the shittiest games I ever played on the gamecube), way more deserving and needing of a remake, etc.

    I don't know why but this makes me angry. Perhaps because The Wind Waker was so unbelieveably shit, perhaps because it's so ridiculously pointless, and perhaps because Majora's Mask deserves it so much more.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    WHAT THE SWEET FUCK?

    I don't even have a Wii U and the fact that they're rereleasing Wind Waker pisses me off so hard. What the fuck Nintendo?

    Why the hell would they do that. It's already the most well-aging Zelda game, it's cel-shaded graphics holding up extremely well even today, and the Gamecube version can be played on the Wii anyway, as it had backwards compatability. So on that front there is no reason whatsoever to remake it, especially since it doesn't look like they are adding anything even remotely worth it. And where the hell is Majora's Mask? That game is older, far better (The Wind Waker was easily the worst Zelda game I have ever played. In fact, probably one of the shittiest games I ever played on the gamecube), way more deserving and needing of a remake, etc.

    I don't know why but this makes me angry. Perhaps because The Wind Waker was so unbelieveably shit, perhaps because it's so ridiculously pointless, and perhaps because Majora's Mask deserves it so much more.
    whats up with so many people hating on wind waker? i thought that shit got old a long time ago. wind waker is one of the best zeldas and is typically the one regarded with the best story and most realistic portrayal of ganondorf.

    while i agree a link to the past or majoras mask wouldve made a better remake it HAS been 10 years since wind waker came out im sure new gamers would appreciate this.

    also how can you say they havent added anything new? we LITERALLY saw like THREE screenshots. ARE YOU KIDDING ME @_@ seriously wait till we actually see oh i dont know 10 minutes of gameplay before you try to claim there isnt anything new.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 11:41 AM ----------

    also you know what O-O i like wind waker MORE than ocarina of time. THATS RIGHT I SAID IT @_@
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  4. #44
    Dreadlord Duruka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    747
    whats up with so many people hating on wind waker? i thought that shit got old a long time ago. wind waker is one of the best zeldas and is typically the one regarded with the best story and most realistic portrayal of ganondorf.
    I don't hate it, and actually I enjoyed it a lot at times, but it's definitely one of my least favourites. The tedious sailing, empty ocean, cut content, and Triforce quest are just a few reasons.
    It wasn't a bad game, but it could've been so, so much better if they had put a little more time into it.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    I don't hate it, and actually I enjoyed it a lot at times, but it's definitely one of my least favourites. The tedious sailing, empty ocean, cut content, and Triforce quest are just a few reasons.
    It wasn't a bad game, but it could've been so, so much better if they had put a little more time into it.
    Hopefully the cut stuff gets into the remake.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    also how can you say they havent added anything new? we LITERALLY saw like THREE screenshots. ARE YOU KIDDING ME @_@ seriously wait till we actually see oh i dont know 10 minutes of gameplay before you try to claim there isnt anything new.
    http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-n...aker-hd-wii-u/

    The full list of changes from the original Gamecube version is as follows:

    Upgraded graphics
    A tuned up overall game experience
    Gamepad compatibility (so you can play it off TV)
    Miiverse compatibility
    *cough*

    I wish they'd added the cut content too. Would make the game slightly less terrible...

    And theres two reasons people hated on the Wind Waker. One, the graphics. I never agreed with this complaint. In fact the graphics were the one thing about the game I liked. It's a shame the game sucked too much to ever utilise them to good effect. The other reason is that it's a terrible game. The actual game in it was very, very short, and the whole thing was padded to ridiculous lengths with the most tedious of tedious sailing marathons which never, ever had any meaningful variety (sorry, I don't buy slightly different weather and day/night cycles as meaningful variety), and you were forced to do these for no particular reason. The game was literally impossible to complete without doing 'optional' side content which you had no indication whatsoever that you had to do or how to do (the fact that it wasn't difficult is irrelevant). The game is pathetically easy and the dungeons are ridiculously linear.

    You know, screw it. I can't be bothered writing this all out again. Here's a post I wrote a few years back. Doubt you'll read it all but oh well. Copied and pasted post incoming.

    --------------------------------


    The Wind Waker sucks.

    My advice to anyone would be to avoid Wind Waker, which has the dubious honor of being the worst Zelda game ever made. There are several reasons for this.

    Before i say anything else, let me say that I love the cel-shaded graphics, and to me, they are perhaps one of the only saving graces of a game that is otherwise about as pleasant to play as I imagine eating my own shit would be.

    The Wind Waker is a short game, for a Zelda. Now, that is, in and of itself, not a bad thing. Some of the best games i have ever played have been pretty short. Of course, the best games usually manage to sustain a certain length and volume of content, but short length does not make games inherently bad. What does make them inherently bad is when half of that short game is filler and the other half is complete crap.

    I shall focus here on the actual CONTENT of the game, which rounds out at about 10 hours at most, mostly because the game is suffocatingly easy. I've had more of a challenge completing the Deku Tree dungeon in OOT then i have had doing this entire game. And please don't get the impression from this that I feel like I am some l33t ubah god of puzzles and combat in games. Many of the other Zelda games have succeeded in providing me with challenge, and while I like to think I'm good at games, I am by no means any kind of pro gamer.

    The Combat.

    The combat in Wind Waker was quite simply awful. The only time in the entire game that I came close to dying when was when I went afk to answer the door during a fight against three darknuts without pausing the game. And I didn't even die. I had 4 hearts left, and proceeded to kill them with no trouble. Oh, and there was the time I drowned myself on purpose just to see where I would respawn.

    Probably the main reason for the combat being so shitty is because every single enemy in the game hits like a wet sponge. Even Darknuts, supposedly one of the harder (well, hard is a relative term here) enemies in the game, are complete pussies, never taking off more then a heart or two. Stalfos, Moblins, Wizzrobes - they all hit for so pathetically little that, I shit thee not, i was able to complete the entire game without getting a SINGLE extra heart container from peices of heart. Meaning I completed the game with about 10 hearts (I think thats what it was, I never needed to count, it wasn't like I was going to run out soo).

    The bosses were also pathetic. Sadly, that is not exclusive to Wind Waker. OOT, WW, TP, the majority of bosses in all of them were pretty damned easy. Lets run through the WW ones.

    The first boss was decent. Whenever I judge a Zelda game, i'm always very lenient in my judgement of the first dungeon, seeing as I am aware that every single Zelda game will have certain players who have never played one before, meaning they can't be too difficult. With that in mind, the first boss was... decent.

    The second boss was fairly pathetic. The only time I took damage during it was when i stood still on purpose to check how many hearts its main attack took off. Pathetic second boss.

    The third boss was also easy. The fourth boss was slightly better, but still, too easy. The fifth boss (Earth temple for me) was simply WTF. It pushed 'pretty easy' into the realms of ''as difficult as taking candy from a malnourished dyslexic baby''. And the premise was stupid too. Obeise ghost boss ftw?

    I massively enjoyed the Wind Temple boss, Molgera though. The music was sweet. Shame - i was enjoying it, and sort of killed the boss by accident (I expected it to have more health then it did).

    Puppet Ganon was probably the only boss in the game worthy of the title. That was not a bad boss fight at all.

    The final boss fight wasn't quite as much of a pushover as the others, but it wasn't hard, or challenging in any way, shape or form.

    The Mini-bosses were also pathetic. In fact, what am I talking about. There were no mini-bosses. Well there was one of them, Phantom Ganon. I'd heard the rest of the dungeons had their items guarded by mini-bosses, but I was dissapointed when I got to them. There were no mini-bosses present... just normal enemies. Almost as if... it wasn't a mini boss at all?! (Ok, I admit the Mothula and the enemy summoning Wizzrobe were slightly unique, but still were nothing more then variations of normal enemies, both were recycled at other points, and neither were challenging.)

    I would like to say a small thing about supposedly the hardest thing in the game. The Savage Labyrinth.

    Before you read this bit, go out and check a few guides about the Savage Labyrinth, and what preparations you supposedly need. Now, I ran across this by accident, after FINALLY getting the 1000 rupee wallet. I had no knowledge of the Savage Labyrinth prior to my discovery of it, and I hadn't yet gotten Tingles Chart to tell me there was a triforce chart in it (funny that - I was quite pissed off that I was being given no direction on how to find the triforce peices, and I stumble across one). I entered the Savage Labyrinth with one blue potion, all temples completed, the 60 arrow quiver (filled), the 99 bomb bag (also filled), the normal (so non-extended) magic meter, and 9 hearts.

    I completed the entire thing, start to finish first try, without dying once. I ended up using the blue potion, but upon the ending, i still had 21 arrows left, so i used 39. The entire experience was... well, boring. I never lost more then a heart at most in one floor, and on most, I took no damage at all. In addition, my magic meter was at about 70% when i used the blue potion.

    This was supposedly the hardest thing to do in the entire game. Take this not as a boast, but as a critique of how easy this entire thing was.

    That concludes my rant about the easiness of the enemies. Don't worry though, i've got more to bitch about. Because the easiness was not only in the bosses, but in the dungeons themselves, and the puzzles therein. This part, by the way, is my general review of the dungeons.

    The Dungeons

    My cheif complaint about the dungeons is their suffocating linearity. Every dungeon, (this is 'dungeon' with a heart container...) with the exception of the Wind Temple, while appearing sprawling and massive on the maps, amounted to nothing more then a series of linear rooms and corridors. There was never any more the one way you could go that you hadn't been before (again, with the exception of the Wind Temple, the only dungeon in the game worthy of the name). If there were 3 doors, then 2 would be locked until you had done something else in the only unlocked door. This made dungeon maps pretty useless on the whole. What use was a map when your path was already set for you? Whenever the door wasn't set right in front of you, it was fairly easy to deduce were in the dungeon you hadn't already been - the reason you hadn't been there before being it was locked in some way. (Note, there are some exceptions, but never any significant or meaningful ones.)

    Not only did the dungeons lead you through every single room by the hand, but the puzzles were nothing to write home about either. It was sort of mind-numbingly depressing after the awesomeness of OOT dungeons (such as the ice temple) to struggle through the 'puzzles' of Wind Wakers dungeons. Their most challenging aspect was not falling asleep. There was never anything that presented the mind with any difficulty, nothing that made you stop and think 'Walp. I'm stumped'.

    These factors all combined for a mind-numbingly boring dungeon experience. Easy puzzles, easy enemies, linear dungeon layout, easy bosses. The game felt more like the series introduction for academically challeneged 6 year olds.

    Now, a moment for me to cover the only decent dungeon in the game.

    Credit where it's due, the Wind Temple was great. The first thing that caught me about it was the aesthetic. All 5 of the dungeons before had been boring in the way they looked among all the other problems. Black and red gets a bit boring after awhile, as does the same shade of depressing dark green. So does grey. And grey too. This is one of the biggest visual problems with the games. Graphically it's great. But they never seemed to have known what to do with it. Any impressive visuals feel like they come along more by accident then intent.

    Note : Paragraphs immediately above and below this sentence are of course especially subject to opinion; I accept that many may have found the Wind Temple boring-looking, or the other temples fascinating in thier design.

    The Wind Temple simply looked nice. It had a nice design, as well as nice colour palette. The background music was also very good, fitting in thematically whilst being unobtrusive, but just noticeable enough to be appreciated (In fact, the music of the game as a whole was one thing which wasn't an embarassment, even if I personally wasn't over-fond of some of the tunes) There was more then one way to go for parts of the Wind Temple, and it was the only dungeon in the Wind Waker in which I was stumped, and didn't know what to do at one point. I worked it out fairly quickly, but still. And it wasn't a puzzle that stumped me, it was simply where to go next! After 5 dungeons (and I still havn't ranted about what I felt was the most pathetically pathetic of the pathetic dungeons in the game) in which I was led by the nose, I wasn't prepared to actually have to think about where I should go next. It was a good feeling.

    Unfortunately, while the music for the boss was the best in the game, the boss itself was easy. In addition, while the Wind Temple was brilliant in comparison to the rest of the travesty that is Wind Waker, it really doesn't compare to half the dungeons in say, OOT, or TP.

    I am not going to rant about the dungeon-that-is-not-a-dungeon, Forsaken Fortress, very much. I suppose you really must factor into it the early part of the game you spend in it. The second time you visit it, the entire dungeon really is comprised of mini-boss (the only real mini-boss in the game), walk to boss, boss.

    However, it still felt obvious that the Forsaken Fortress as a dungeon was shunted in. I suppose they felt that the game needed another one. The item you get in it, the Skull Hammer, is as literally useless as you can get. There was never a single moment after the dungeon you needed it. It was never used for any puzzles. It was never used for any purpose other then to smash switches which may as well not be there. The only enemy it is useful for defeating, the Dark ChuChu, can be defeated without it (pick it up and throw). The game is easy enough that we could've survived with one less heart container.



    The other section to rant about is the game outside the dungeons. Most of it is sailing. Just. Sailing.

    Sad thing is, almost all of that sailing is so obviously filler. They literally could have kept the islands the same size (although they are all miniscule) and reduced the size of the sea they were in by what, half? It really would have made for a more enjoyable experience. Or at least, less brain-deadening one. It was so very, very clear that the sheer amount of sailing in the game was a feeble effort to increase playtime.

    One of the things that pissed me off most (and is actually very, VERY annoying in Twilight Princess too, perhaps moreso) is the fact that your wallet is tiny. The amount of rupees you get in any dungeon is fairly high, especially later in the game, and it is so very, very annoying that you can only hold a measly 200. Of course, you can upgrade your wallets, but well, its not exactly obvious how to, is it? The game is impossible to complete unless you do this (as in literally impossible. You cannot reach the final boss without upgrading your wallet) and if you missed the right fairy island, then you have to revisit a location you visited VERY early in the game to get the upgrade, and go out of your way to do so too.

    My next complaint is the size of the islands. They are tiny. Really, this game had so much potential, but it isn't expanded upon. The size of the outside open world, all of the area of the islands you can walk upon, would probably total up to less walkable terrain then in the starting island and main village hub together. In fact, a large number of them are useless anyway. The 5 fairy islands need only be visited once each. The reef 'islands' are not even explorable islands. Many of the rest are of no value aside from one visit to grab whatever is there, and then done.

    I'll admit, pure completionists will have alot of fun with this game, but I at least was bored to tears after 'exploring' about 5 islands. Tiny, tiny islands.

    The late game triforce gathering was also evidently inserted to add a few hours to the playtime, and had the effect of making a bad game worse. Even worse. Not only is it not evident what to do (i mean, to someone who is interested in the plot, and story, not sidequests, how the fuck should you work out how to do the cabana chart? Or the ghost ship one?) While some of the charts were frustrating to get, due to reasons mentioned above, others were pathetically easy (suprise!). One requires you to shoot 3 bombs at a ship and fish for treasure where it died. One requires you to shoot 3 bombs at a ship and sail into a rock, play a song, and recieve a bunch of free rupees and the chart. Not exactly stimulating endgame material.

    After getting the charts, you have to spend effort farming rupees to have them interpreted. This was clearly so you could spend even longer on the game. And then, go fish for the shards. More time wasted.

    I could rant about several more things, but I wont. I have said far more then enough, and I thank anyone who has read this far, assuming you havn't just skipped to the end.

    In case you hadn't guessed, I beleive the mind-dump that is Wind Waker is about as enjoyable as having teeth pulled. If this game had been the first Zelda I ever played, it would have instantly put me off the entire franchise, which is a shame - because Nintendo has the ability to make a brilliant game.

    My rant is over. Thank you for reading (if you did. Which I doubt you did, but oh well).

    ---------------------------

    Yeah. I hate that game.

    Edit: Not that this is anything more then opinion, but from the screenshots, am I the only one who really hates the new updated graphics? I loved the old ones. They aged well and there was no reason to redo them. The new ones look about the same but seem to have some weird shiny, luminous haze over everything that makes it all look distorted and weird, and distracts me whenever I try to focus on something. The water is also either unfinished or shit.
    Last edited by Migey; 2013-01-24 at 06:58 PM.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

  7. #47
    I actually thought the combat in WW was alright, but the pacing was not. I agree that you took too little damage, but it involved more complex maneuvers than in previous titles and was quick with Link darting all over the place cutting of armor and stuff. The sailing was outright annoying though, it took too long to get from point A to point B and sure, it was cool to sail for the first hour or so but then it became tedium. In a game like Skyrim travel isn't the most exciting thing but at least you can stumble upon cool stuff on the way, on the open sea of former Hyrule that rarely happened.

    I'm still looking forward to the remake though, I never owned WW myself and only borrowed the game from a friend, never finishing it. Hopefully the remake is more than a HD-fix, and actually solves the issues with the game.

  8. #48
    I am Murloc! Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    5,342
    nice to see more of a push to hardcore gamers might actually make me buy one. glad to see we are getting a bayoneta 2...nice. and WW HD looks sweet. but i have to ask Nentendo....WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONSTER HUNTER!?

  9. #49
    The other problem with the combat I didn't go into much was that it's too scripted... in OOT, and even Twilight Princess, you could roll around the enemy and perform fairly complex maneuvers, but you had to time them yourself and be skilled with it (Twilight Princess had amazing combat. Best part of that game. Just a real shame there were never that many chances to use it throughout the game. A few enemies, the Darknut, and Ganon, and thats it...). In WW, on the other hand, you just lock on and press A when it flashes. Thats just more of the 'ezmode' that was the entire game. Timing, skill, and potential to fail epicly? Nop! Just a glorified quicktime event and thats it.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

  10. #50
    Why innovate when you can recycle and rehash?

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Why innovate when you can recycle and rehash?
    Because they said the next LoZ was going to take a long time so they are redoing WW to hold people off in the mean time.

  12. #52
    Redoing it? They're sticking a weird sheen on the entire thing, and from the sounds of it are barely changing any significant elements of the game. I hope they don't charge full price for this shit.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

  13. #53
    Still need a new F-zero nintendo,waited fucking 10 years since the gamecube one.

  14. #54
    Dreadlord Duruka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Redoing it? They're sticking a weird sheen on the entire thing, and from the sounds of it are barely changing any significant elements of the game. I hope they don't charge full price for this shit.
    They're adding "A tuned up overall game experience", whatever that means. Please let it be the cut content. Please.
    I agree with you about the price though. I already own Wind Waker, so unless they make some significant changes I won't buy it at full price. It would be nice if they included another game or two as well, maybe a 2D one, like the Gamecube collection.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    wall of text
    Combat has always been simple and easy. Not a single Zelda game really poses any challenge at all when it comes to boss fights/enemies, save Zelda II and the Stalfos in Skyward Sword. Even beating the games on 3 hearts no fairies isn't that hard when you can just spin to victory.

    For Dungeon linearity, Spirit Temple, Shadow Temple and the first 2 dungeons as Kid Link are very much linear. Even Majora's Mask temples such as Woodfall and Greatbay are actually quite linear in design. The only temples I can truly say are maze-like and you can really get stumped are Lake Hylia, Water Temple, and Sky Temple(in SS).

    Sailing, yeah, everyone knows it was pretty ridiculous and Chart/Triforce hunting wasn't fun.

    I totally disagree on it being the worst Zelda. It introduced some fun mechanics and dynamics that no other Zelda game even to this date has bothered trying re-implement.

  16. #56
    I am Murloc! Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    well. new zelda, smash bros, and everything else. nintendo is going to win e3 again this year unless sony announces kingdom hearts 3 or final fantasy 7 as playstation 4 exclusives or microsoft announces the 720 with halo 5 O-O in other words its unlikely whatever they show will top the ole tendo
    Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 7 are not owned or even published by Sony.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  17. #57
    I for one am quite happy with the news.

    Hate on Wind Waker all you want but honestly they are probably doing MM for 3DS and the reason I say that is because they aren't going to not do it. There is enough fan outcry for it.
    The Runaway. I love my new nickname. Is there a picture of me? Does it look good?

  18. #58
    Legendary! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    FC World
    Posts
    6,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Why innovate when you can recycle and rehash?
    You must of missed where they are releasing a new Zelda title and WW is pretty much filler until then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    I don't know why but this makes me angry. Perhaps because The Wind Waker was so unbelieveably shit, perhaps because it's so ridiculously pointless, and perhaps because Majora's Mask deserves it so much more.
    "I don't like WW so it's objectively a bad game."

    WW was one of the best LoZ's, this is objective fact and in no way opinion.


  19. #59
    SMT x Fire Emblem. plz

    Also, HD windwaker wont take them long at all. Compared to say updated MM or a new game. They were going to add it to the Virtual Console anyway, they just spruced it up a bit.

  20. #60
    Bloodsail Admiral Giants41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York, United States of America
    Posts
    1,073
    Xenoblade sequel :O Looks amazing!
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •