Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Patch 5.2 - 10 and 25 Player Raid Loot Changes

Patch 5.2 - 10 and 25 Player Raid Loot Changes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Coming to the PTR in the near future will be a new designation of item type in Normal and Heroic raids for non-tier pieces. Each 5.2 raid boss will have a chance of dropping this new designation of a particular item that’s 6 item levels higher than their counterparts. These higher quality versions will be called “Thunderforged”. This means that there will be five variations of some items. You’ll now see a 5.2 raid item of LFR quality at item level 502, the same item in Normal quality at item level 522, the item in Normal Thunderforged quality at item level 528, the Heroic version of the item at level 535, and the Heroic Thunderforged version of the item at level 541.

This new item designation is being added for a couple reasons, but first and foremost to make loot drops more interesting overall, especially after you have earlier bosses in Throne of Thunder on farm. As you’re working on progression, those first few bosses can now continue to provide a chance at upgrades, making repeated kills potentially more exciting and rewarding. Those additional upgrades can then help to slowly raise power, and boost you over whatever progression roadblock you may hit.

We’ve also received a lot of feedback regarding 25-player raids, and have been looking for ways to address some concerns. Ever since we changed 10-player raids to drop the same item level as 25s, we’ve seen a steady decline in 25-player raiding. This isn’t surprising. A 25-player raid takes an extra level of logistical commitment for the officers of those groups. It’s unfortunately easy for a 25-player guild to collapse down into a 10-player guild, but very unlikely for the opposite to happen. However, we like 25-player raiding and don’t want to see it go away. Like many players, we love the epic feeling that comes with banding together more massive groups to battle powerful foes, we love that there’s opportunity for those groups to try out new players or unusual comps without causing a huge burden, and we want to support the larger raiding guilds. That said, we’re also concerned that over-rewarding the 25-player guilds—if, for example, we went back to a higher item level across the board for 25s, as was the case for Icecrown Citadel—would feel like a slap in the face to the many 10-player raiders out there, who are the majority of our Normal and Heroic raiders.

To attempt to navigate this minefield, we’re going to try having Thunderforged items drop more frequently in 25-player raids. They’ll be somewhat rare in both cases compared to the standard versions that’ll drop, but they’ll be even rarer in 10s. Overall, a 25-player group will be more likely to end up with a slightly higher item level after several weeks of raiding.

It’s important to keep in mind that this only affects 10- and 25-player Normal and Heroic raids, and tier-15 armor pieces won’t be available in Thunderforged quality at all. We’re curious to hear your thoughts about these changes, and what you think once you begin seeing them on the PTR.

This is actually a really nice way to go about the 10/25 logistic dilemma. Im assumine that each piece of loot that drops will only have a 1-2% chance of being Thunderforged (Since there are so many bosses). So this is just a nice way to still have pieces to get while we farm the content we have already cleared.

Also the fact that its available on both difficulties with a slightly higher chance on 25 means that no one is left out and people who raid 25 can still feel special. :P

Should be 50% in 25!

Deleted
    More RNG..

10+ Year Old Account
    Incoming Shitstorm!

10+ Year Old Account
    Neat stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is better then nothing for the 25 man raiding crowd. I'm shocked they went this route(In a good way).

Oh boy now to watch the onslaught of whiners who read nothing in the post and claim 10 mans are being treated like second class citizens again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty decent solution to multiple problems. My guild is at the point where Mogu'shan Vaults requires very little time but it also offers virtually zero reward. A system like this will ensure that does not occur.

Nail, please meet Coffin.
    Liking the idea, disliking the fact that 10-man raiders get fucked over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kektonic View Post
    Oh boy now to watch the onslaught of whiners who read nothing in the post and claim 10 mans are being treated like second class citizens again.
    It won't be me.

*Facedesk* Sensationalizing!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Yep. RNG sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Essenji View Post
    Total & Utter Bullshit.

I'm a 10 Man Raider, and I see no reason to be annoyed by any of this. This gives very little incentive to be in 25 Man, but that is all it needed, just a small nudge, nothing major! This is perfect.

Not sure I like the latest design philosophy, fix lack of content by adding more grind (item upgrades, rare version of items, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, about time !

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Znuff View Post
    Should be 50% in 25!
    No it should not be 50% for 25 man at all.

While I think it's impossible to truly incentivize 10- and 25-mans equally, I think this is a good compromise solution. 25s won't be objectively better, but will be a bit extra rewarding to compensate for the logistics.

It's entirely possible some of the playerbase will overreact and move from 10s to 25s again out of a thought of being left in the dust if they don't, but we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello, my name is migas11, my warlockian nickname is Azgraal, i am a 10man raider, been one for years, and i agree with these changes with all my heart.

It doesn't hurt 10man groups, and has a little change of rewarding 25man groups. I am happy.