Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Looks like the word "sandbox" is the word of the week now. This game was ok for te few hours I played it, but its not fully a sandbox, Id say roughly 40% is actually kinda sandy. Maybe with a few weeks of play it wouls be different, Im not sure though.

  2. #42
    It pleases me greatly that you are not dismounted when traveling over water. As in your damn horse can swim.

    Greatly pleases me.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Looks like the word "sandbox" is the word of the week now. This game was ok for te few hours I played it, but its not fully a sandbox, Id say roughly 40% is actually kinda sandy. Maybe with a few weeks of play it wouls be different, Im not sure though.
    Yeah I'd also say it's about 40% sandy. Sandpark, much like Archeage. Still an awesome game. Now only if gPotato (EU) would hurry up, because I can't play on the damn NA lag
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

    Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Looks like the word "sandbox" is the word of the week now. This game was ok for te few hours I played it, but its not fully a sandbox, Id say roughly 40% is actually kinda sandy. Maybe with a few weeks of play it wouls be different, Im not sure though.
    Sandbox is not only the word of the week but has now become the gameplay popular this 2013. A lot of games are now offering this sandbox type of gameplay, not only Age of Wushu but also ArcheAge, Salem, Everquest, Game of thrones and so much more.

  5. #45
    I got bored pretty quickly. There were only a handful of quests. Not that the story was any interesting, anyway.
    Of course there are dozens of daily / repeatable quests but they are even more boring and rewards are really weak.

    Gathering materials is even more boring than in WoW - you run between preset location where resource nodes spawn (trees, ores, herbs, fish). There is no randomization in that - they just spawn in the same locations on fixed timers.

    I'm not really into PvP so I skipped it totally.

    So to me there wasn't too much to do in the game. Gathering and crafting boring, you cannot shape the world around you or build anything (apart from donating to guild castle which is at fixed location as well). There are some dungeons. I don't even know why someone would call that a sandbox :/

    It's just a theme park with... I don't know... more ways of gathering experience?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  6. #46
    How does this work for people in Europe. Do we buy the American game and play that, or wait for a European release? Is a European release even announced yet?

  7. #47
    If only the combat was more actual martial arts rather than Wushu That said, the theme looks very interesting, hopefully they can pull it off.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I got bored pretty quickly. There were only a handful of quests. Not that the story was any interesting, anyway.
    Of course there are dozens of daily / repeatable quests but they are even more boring and rewards are really weak.

    Gathering materials is even more boring than in WoW - you run between preset location where resource nodes spawn (trees, ores, herbs, fish). There is no randomization in that - they just spawn in the same locations on fixed timers.

    I'm not really into PvP so I skipped it totally.

    So to me there wasn't too much to do in the game. Gathering and crafting boring, you cannot shape the world around you or build anything (apart from donating to guild castle which is at fixed location as well). There are some dungeons. I don't even know why someone would call that a sandbox :/

    It's just a theme park with... I don't know... more ways of gathering experience?
    I would call it a sandbox simply because you can do whatever you want, every day for two weeks I have been able to log on and do something new.
    A theme park is really linear and I don't see that in AoW.

  9. #49
    But then, aren't most MMOs sandboxes?

    Take WoW for example. You can do raids, instances, arena, BGs, daily quests, level your chars, pet battles, professions, achievements. Quest chains are linear mostly, but it's the same in AoW. There are many different ways to progress with your char in both games. But none of them gives you the ability to shape the world to the same degree as Wurm, Salem or EVE allow.

    Think about the word "sandbox". It's a box filled with sand from which you can build different things. Don't mistake it with a box filled with different toys which can't be modified, just used according to their design.

    Theme park = box with toys
    Sandbox = box with sand
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    But then, aren't most MMOs sandboxes?

    Take WoW for example. You can do raids, instances, arena, BGs, daily quests, level your chars, pet battles, professions, achievements. Quest chains are linear mostly, but it's the same in AoW.
    No you can't, you have to go through zone 1, then to zone 2, then to zone 3, until you hit max level, then you have to follow a linear path to get gear, plus a lot of other stuff.

    There's definitely different degrees of sandbox though and we'll never agree on a global definition of it but I think we can all agree that the more freedom you get in a game and the less linear features it has, the more sandbox it becomes. Would the perfect sandbox have terraforming? Definitely, but it's not a necessity.
    AoW is far from the perfect sandbox but at least it's more on the sandbox side than the theme park side because you do get a lot of freedom.

  11. #51
    You don't have to go through zone 1 -> zone 2 -> zone 3 in WoW. You have certain degree of freedom in choice of zones for your level range. From what I have seen it's similar in AoW - there are areas with mobs too tough for you, so you have to level up to beat them.

    And you DON'T have to follow linear path to level up or gear up. You can level up by doing PvP or professions. Or doing instances.
    As for the gearing up - you don't have to. Nobody forces you to get better gear, unless you need it for the type of gameplay you chose. And even then, there are different ways of getting gear - professions, quests, reputation, instances etc. Sure, if you want to raid and get best gear possible for it then you have linear path. I will be surprised if AoW offers something different.

    And what is your definition of freedom? So far you seem to be using this term as "various possibilities". But even then - what are those possibilites in AoW? Because I have found less of them in AoW than in WoW. Granted, I haven't played AoW for long, but from I have seen my choice was limited to quests (mostly dailies), team practice, professions, instances and different forms of PvP. People I have been in guild with seemed to repeatedly run instances or some escorts to earn cash.

    I still can't see how AoW gives you more freedom :/
    Open PvP? Ability to choose 3 specs at the same time? Anything else?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    You don't have to go through zone 1 -> zone 2 -> zone 3 in WoW. You have certain degree of freedom in choice of zones for your level range.
    Alright, you have to go through zone 1,2 or 3 then 4, 5 or 6, then 7, 8 or 9, doesn't really make it any less linear.

    My definition of freedom in AoW is that you can do everything from day one with very few exceptions.
    The very day you start playing you can jump into any feature in the game, kidnapping, policing, spying, different arenas, crafting, world PvP, team practice, escorts/assault the escorts, guild wars, school scripts, school surprise attacks, questing or PvE.

  13. #53
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    I would call it a sandbox simply because you can do whatever you want
    Well your still wrong as I have pointed out in this very thread. Lets discuss as to why:

    The term "sandbox" is given to a game when you, as the player, can alter the physical game environment. Non-instanced player housing in games like SWG and Ultima is a perfect example of a sandbox feature.

    What your talking about is non-linear player progression, giving you the ability to play and do what ever you like and still advance through the game.

    Look at it this way; a literal sandbox is a place where children could manipulate and create what ever they wish inside the environment. Sandbox's are not considered to be a place for children to do and act however they wish.

    Sandbox has become a improperly coined term for non-linear character progression.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Well your still wrong as I have pointed out in this very thread. Lets discuss as to why:

    The term "sandbox" is given to a game when you, as the player, can alter the physical game environment. Non-instanced player housing in games like SWG and Ultima is a perfect example of a sandbox feature.

    What your talking about is non-linear player progression, giving you the ability to play and do what ever you like and still advance through the game.

    Look at it this way; a literal sandbox is a place where children could manipulate and create what ever they wish inside the environment. Sandbox's are not considered to be a place for children to do and act however they wish.

    Sandbox has become a improperly coined term for non-linear character progression.
    And as I already said, altering the physical game environment isn't a necessity, what makes a sandbox a sandbox is that it gives you the freedom to play the game the way you want. And as I already said AoW isn't 100% sandbox because that doesn't exist but it's definitely closer to a sandbox than a theme park.

  15. #55
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    And as I already said, altering the physical game environment isn't a necessity, what makes a sandbox a sandbox is that it gives you the freedom to play the game the way you want. And as I already said AoW isn't 100% sandbox because that doesn't exist but it's definitely closer to a sandbox than a theme park.
    Again, that is incorrect. To be a sandbox you MUST be able to alter the game environment. At this point Im simply trying to make you understand what a sandbox is. AoW, even with all of its freedom amongst the game systems, does not make it any closer to a sandbox than WoW. It would be a bit closer if you can play the game in every zone without some sort of limitation i.e. level of content. AoW does not even fall into this category.

    An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives.

    The term "free roam" is also used, as is "sandbox" and "free-roaming". "Open world" and "free-roaming" suggest the absence of artificial barriers, in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. An "open world" game does not necessarily imply a sandbox. In a true "sandbox", the player has tools to modify the world themselves and create how they play.


    Generally open world games still enforce some restrictions in the game environment, either due to absolute technical limitations or in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity.
    Source
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2013-03-06 at 12:36 AM.

  16. #56
    There are about 6 people I've seen who said AoW is not a sandbox, while the rest of the gaming worlds call is it a sandbox. If AoW isn't neither is EVE. That being said. You can do what every you want to progress or nothing at all.

    In a WoW type theme park you have X amount of ways to progress. Quest, dungeons, battle grounds, and maybe a little crafting. In AoW literally if you chose to stand in a corner (same with EVE) you can progress your character. From there the world is wide open to you.

    You do not need to engage in combat, you can be a crafter, or even a begger. I play a bandit. Nothing in the game rules defined my style as such, it's the game I made inside the world. You never have to do a quest after the tutorial. You make a character and he/she lives in the world. Everything is player created. Through politics and muscle you can change the "game environment" I'm not talking about terraforming. I'm talking about territory control, and building up your territory.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2013-03-06 at 01:56 AM.

  17. #57
    It's still NOT a sandbox game. The only real sandbox games I can think of right now are Terraria and Minecraft. It doesn't matter if you can do a large number of different things, if you can't alter the environment it just isn't a sandbox game. Character progression has NOTHING to do with being a sandbox game or not.

  18. #58
    Really glad to find this mmorpg game. RS is a good mmorpg, I think you can use a runescape account to join it.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    Everything is player created. Through politics and muscle you can change the "game environment" I'm not talking about terraforming. I'm talking about territory control, and building up your territory.
    Wait, what? In one sentence you say that "everything" is player created and in the next you say that you only mean territory control?
    And even then it's only part of the territory, specially designed for it. Probably like PvP features in Burning crusade (terrokar forest, zangarmarsh, hellfire penninsula etc.)

    That's far from everything.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    I don't really care about wikipedia, it's not like they have the global answer to everything and the term sandbox is being used more loosely in the MMORPG genre otherwise we would only have theme park games.
    But like I said earlier, we are not going to agree on a definition, I go with the definition I agree with that also seem to be shared by many gamers and veterans in the industry and the only reason I even use the term is because we need a way to tell the difference between theme park, open world, and sandbox MMORPG's.
    I don't need you or anyone to agree with me about the definition because I know people define it in different ways and it's a subject that has been discussed to death for many years, the whole point was that AoW isn't a theme park.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •