Thread: Quick question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Install win 7 from a downloadable ISO online, run the upgrade assistant on microsoft.com and get your 15$ Win8. No purchases needed for Win7.

10+ Year Old Account
    To clarify:

Download the Win7 iso from here

Either burn the ISO to a DVD, or put the ISO onto a flash drive using this tool

Boot from the DVD or flash drive, install Win7, when it asks for a license key, just click 'skip'. Finish install.

Go here to get the $15 upgrade. Sign up for it. Tell them that you "Purchased a Win7 system" some time after August or so. You will be directed to the Upgrade Assistant and get an email with a promo code. Do the upgrade, put in the promo code, $15. Win8.

Also, I have heard people saying that it sometimes says that "Win8 is not available to download in your region". This is fixed by running the Upgrade Assistant in WinXP compatibility mode. Stupid, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I understand that it can look daunting for someone that has no experience with it, but it is very easy.
    It is like playing with Lego. And it is very hard to put something where it doesn't belong.
    This is true. I built my first computer late December and was so nervous. I spent about 7 hours building total but that was with watching everything on the video 3 times over. I decided to just jump in and it worked out fine, I even plugged some things in where I didn't know where to put them . But in all seriousness it's A LOT easier than it sounds, slide this in their, that here, plug this in here and here. And wallah!
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been poking around YouTube checking out instructional videos and it really doesn't look that hard. Then again, it didn't look that hard in 3rd grade when we made birds out of construction paper, but by the time I was done my hands were glued together and I had something that kind of resembled a fat Japanese wrestler with wings.

Same thing with when I try to watch cooking shows or that guy with the big hair who used to come on PBS and talk about how easy it was to follow along at home and paint these intricate landscapes.

But I honestly think this computer thing might be different. It really doesn't look as bad as I thought. I was under the impression you had to go to college for it or something. But that's also coming from the guy who didn't even try to play WoW for the first six years it was out because I just assumed my computer wouldn't work it and I'd had to have one of those university degree style systems to play, until I eventually bought it and was amazed at how well it ran and how easy it was to get into. I might just surprise myself again
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2013-01-24 at 12:17 AM.

I'm sure you'll do fine. The real work is setting up Windows etc. It takes time.... But, building your first computer is memorable for most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    I'm sure you'll do fine. The real work is setting up Windows etc. It takes time.... But, building your first computer is memorable for most.
    There should be some kind of noob insurance or something. If it's your first time out and you demolish your system by making some kind of rookie mistake then it would be nice if you could purchase some sort of warranty for do-it-yourself virgins.

Buy an anti-static armband and you'll be fine. Also, don't put all your weight on the RAM when slotting them in. Don't be afraid of using a little force though. Main thing is to double check every step in the process and just enjoy it. It's really a peaceful job, at least for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    There should be some kind of noob insurance or something.
    There is. It's called "Well crap, now I know not to do that next time". It's sort of a pay-as-you-go policy. >.>

Probably the most common mistakes people make on first builds are:
    -Forgetting to plug in the 4 or 8 pin 12v CPU plug near the CPU
    -Forgetting to put in brass risers between the case and motherboard
    -Forgetting to plug in the video card power (if it has one)