Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"State of the Game" (2 of 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Greetings, Ascended!

It’s been a long road since an intrepid band of developers introduced the world to RIFT in 2010 by opening the original Alpha shard. Being able to share the game with external testers for the first time was a transformative experience. RIFT was no longer just a product, RIFT became a service, a living breathing game world. That idea was central to the team early on, but it really came to fruition the moment we threw the switch and let people in.

How can we make the game better for our players? This is the same question we've continued to ask ourselves and the community since that first day of Alpha. Every week of pre-release we added new content, new features, updated balance and pressed onward. That same spirit guides the RIFT team today. We strive to provide meaningful game updates and push the game forward just like we've done since that fateful day in August of 2010. We push to provide hotfixes every week that address issues brought to our attention.

As Rift approaches its second anniversary this March it could be all too easy rest on our laurels and focus on the past – but that’s not what the RIFT team is about. We’re about looking forward and finding ways to improve upon what we have built. The team is busy actively working on our next two major game updates, 2.2 and 2.3 – and the game updates beyond those are starting to solidify more with each day.

With 2.2 the Carnival of the Ascended – a celebration of the first appearance of the Ascended - will return to Telara. Along with it, new carnival games as well as some old favorites will be available, a slew of new Zone Events will appear in the Storm Legion zones, the Planar Attunement system will expand to tier 3, and we hope to add our first activated Hard Mode encounters to Endless Eclipse and Frozen Tempest. Of course, you can also expect more bug fixes, and updates to classes as we always provide. There are also some updates to PvP that have been sneaking out to the live servers before 2.2 hits.

What secrets are hidden behind the walls surrounding the Dendrome? As we approach game update 2.3 we’ll start to peel back the layers of mystery – but that is a story for another day, Ascended.

We look forward to sharing those secrets, and the continuing saga of RIFT as we boldly step into 2013.

Bill "Daglar" Fisher
    Lead Game Designer: RIFT

Basically all that was said was 2.2 is the Carnival and 2.3 is dendrome.... kinda underwhelming :P
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

T3 PA, new zone events, and HM EE/FT in addition to the carnival. That's not too shabby.

Deleted
    yeah for the new zone events
    and no f2p announcement,that good

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    Basically all that was said was 2.2 is the Carnival and 2.3 is dendrome.... kinda underwhelming :P
    No, it wasn't underwhelming at all. It did exactly what it needed to. Prevented chicken littles from getting out of hand. It is proof that the status quo doesn't lie in one man who is basically just a glorified manager.

This is the guy who is primarily responsible for this game's content. He's still doing what he does best. Carry on.
    BAD WOLF

I'm so god damn pumped for PA3.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I'm so god damn pumped for PA3.
    I'm not! I still have to fill out my life tab ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    No, it wasn't underwhelming at all. It did exactly what it needed to. Prevented chicken littles from getting out of hand. It is proof that the status quo doesn't lie in one man who is basically just a glorified manager.

This is the guy who is primarily responsible for this game's content. He's still doing what he does best. Carry on.
    We really not nothing in this letter that most of us didn't already know. We all knew that the carnival was coming up, and dendrome would be soon. We got no insight into the future of rift, no assurance that it wouldn't be going f2p. Take a look at last years letter..

http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=28943
    R80

wonder what the pvp changes are going to be... well I don't have to wonder :/

Yea the carnival is back!

We really not nothing in this letter that most of us didn't already know. We all knew that the carnival was coming up, and dendrome would be soon. We got no insight into the future of rift, no assurance that it wouldn't be going f2p. Take a look at last years letter..

Why do we need reassurance about its business model? Because Hartsmann left? That's the trigger? Seems a bit far fetched to me.

Beyond that, I agree that it's definitely light on the specifics, but I can only assume that's because they have announcement plans for them in the near future.

We'll see soon enough, but I think it's far too early to start building bomb shelters.

10+ Year Old Account

I see lots and lots of iterating what they had already implemented, then the rest of the 'new' features were a big part of what distinguishes this game as unique and persists today. It's great to keep adding more new features, but at some point the game will drown under the weight of 'new' instead of just continuing to refine and perfect all of these features.

The game already contains more features than just about any MMO, with WoW being a close second. Do you want a new feature every month? I think that's ridiculous. Regarding raid content, they already said hard modes are coming. So...I'm failing to see how this doesn't meet expectations. If you start seeing something this simple over a whole year, maybe there are problems. I just don't see it now.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Says a lot about the degree of standard and content that Trion have spoiled us with for past two years if it has people whining about it not been enough now

PTS 'In-Progress' notes for 2.2 which i posted elsewhere also have more changes, tweaks incoming, PvP T2 Planar Attunement for example as well as T3 unlocking, the new supposed 10-man has been removed from the achievements tab on PTS so that's on hold

Nobody can expect them to tell us exactly what they have planed for months ahead, sure they'll have a rough guideline of what they plan, example maybe a World Event to unlock and open the Infinity Gate, let's pencil that in for 2.5 or something. Who saw Ember Isle coming? a whole new zone just thrown at us out of the blue. We know the Dendrome is coming in possible 2.3 with a large World Event beginning after 2.2 to open it.

To be honest, Trion have spoiled gamers with their consistent updates, always guaranteed to come every 6-10 weeks roughly, it just shows, give everyone a free 10 Euro note and they'll whine it wasn't a 20

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Why do we need reassurance about its business model? Because Hartsmann left? That's the trigger? Seems a bit far fetched to me.

Beyond that, I agree that it's definitely light on the specifics, but I can only assume that's because they have announcement plans for them in the near future.

We'll see soon enough, but I think it's far too early to start building bomb shelters.
    maybe they will make a video at RIFT 2nd anniversary like last year and tell us more things for future updates

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm pumped... but I still need to fill out a few, for sure. >_< Mostly full though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Funny, life is the last one I am working on as well. Well, that and PvP. I still have at least this weekend to finish it out though. With the increase to Torvan rep from doing GHunts I will be farming the hell outta those this weekend to try to finish that damn grind and that should net me at least finishing my Life tree, hopefully PvP as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I see lots and lots of iterating what they had already implemented, then the rest of the 'new' features were a big part of what distinguishes this game as unique and persists today. It's great to keep adding more new features, but at some point the game will drown under the weight of 'new' instead of just continuing to refine and perfect all of these features.

The game already contains more features than just about any MMO, with WoW being a close second. Do you want a new feature every month? I think that's ridiculous. Regarding raid content, they already said hard modes are coming. So...I'm failing to see how this doesn't meet expectations. If you start seeing something this simple over a whole year, maybe there are problems. I just don't see it now.
    Let me just say that I am more then happy with Rift ATM. In fact I'm, more happy then I've ever been. Im loving the game.

It's just that us Rift players, especially us who have been here since pre-launch, really look forward to the yearly producers letter to give us an idea on where Rift is headed. The previous producers letters got me excited for whats ahead for Rift. And this letter just didn't really say much to excite me.

Again, I am not disappointed with the game at all. I am just a little irritated that they didn't give us any insight into what to expect for 2013 like they have in the producers letters for the past two years.
    R80

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, I am not disappointed with the game at all. I am just a little irritated that they didn't give us any insight into what to expect for 2013 like they have in the producers letters for the past two years.
    Well that is an understandable thing. We always want to know more about the games we like. What new shiny things we get to do and so forth.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I am so not looking forward to T3 PA. I'm only at like 270 levels in, got so much further to go still, and now more will be added

Lathais, why Life last? +AP while wielding a ranged weapon is pretty awesome for a rogue. Unless you got those and just have a few points elsewhere in the tree to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Every word I read of that post has your credibility plummeting like a hooker getting a suitcase full of money for a BJ.

Deleted
    First time i have had worried feelings for RIFT, this letter has only exasperated my fears for the game, especially when you compare it to last years post, and with Scott gone..... eurgh don't want to think about it!

I was expecting to hear something new in Daglar's post. There's plenty of stuff there, I was just disappointed because I knew about it all already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lypo View Post
    I am so not looking forward to T3 PA. I'm only at like 270 levels in, got so much further to go still, and now more will be added

Lathais, why Life last? +AP while wielding a ranged weapon is pretty awesome for a rogue. Unless you got those and just have a few points elsewhere in the tree to get.
    Honestly? I thought I had done it already, then when going to check to see what was done, it wasn't.