Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Anyone else think Blizz is making a HUGE mistake with Legendaries?

It is too soon to pass any sort of ultimate judgement, but I don't think it's a stretch to imagine the Mists of Pandaria "Legendaries" are going to feel much more common. If that is the case, then... what actually makes these weapons "Legendary", at all?

I know a lot of people like to bitch about things being "flavor of the month", but honestly, isn't the sort of the point of Legendary weapons? To cast the spotlight on a specific role in combat, not only to give them a feeling of satisfaction and achievement, but to also inspire others to consider pursuing that role? They're already handing "Legendary" items out like candy, as per the quest-chain. It doesn't make you feel cooler; it makes Legendaries feel trivial.

I normally refrain from casting sweeping judgments when it comes to game-design, but this seems like it was really poorly thought-out, and they're pretty much ensuring that nobody will ever few this new "Legendary Tier of weapons" with any degree of respect, admiration, or status. In short, they will be generic stat-sticks, no different than every single Epic in the game at the time of its release.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    It is too soon to pass any sort of ultimate judgement, but I don't think it's a stretch to imagine the Mists of Pandaria "Legendaries" are going to feel much more common. If that is the case, then... what actually makes these weapons "Legendary", at all?

I know a lot of people like to bitch about things being "flavor of the month", but honestly, isn't the sort of the point of Legendary weapons? To cast the spotlight on a specific role in combat, not only to give them a feeling of satisfaction and achievement, but to also inspire others to consider pursuing that role? They're already handing "Legendary" items out like candy, as per the quest-chain. It doesn't make you feel cooler; it makes Legendaries feel trivial.

I normally refrain from casting sweeping judgments when it comes to game-design, but this seems like it was really poorly thought-out, and they're pretty much ensuring that nobody will ever few this new "Legendary Tier of weapons" with any degree of respect, admiration, or status. In short, they will be generic stat-sticks, no different than every single Epic in the game at the time of its release.
    You know what makes it legendary? The effort, time, and story that it takes to get it. So no, it won't be generic stat-sticks, no different than every single Epic in the game at the time of its release, because generic stat sticks aren't built over the span of multiple patches, requiring multiple collection and rep quests, and have an actual story behind them.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Legendaries have always felt more common once they moved away from the super-low drop rates that came with them in TBC and earlier. I understand your point with saying the legendary items being extremely common, but it's still early in the expansion, and we don't know how the whole process is going to pan out over the remainder.

I just don't totally understand the complaints about legendary gems. They are more rare, than epic gems so What to call them? Theyre not legendaries per se as in really really rare, but theres loads less of them Going around than rare/epic gems. And the quest line is legendary on wow terms. Long lasting, Full of lore. Never before there has been a questline This huge! Even more so, since it can be argued that it's not only the wrathion line, but cause it's heavily ties to Golden Lotus and Klaxxi lines too. And in the Future to isle of Thunder king quest line too. To me it deserves the title legendary. It's a questline of legendary proportions!

10+ Year Old Account
    The MoP and Cata legendaries feel more legendary than the "ZOMG the RNG gods have looked favorably upon my offer of gnome scalps."

I really love what Blizzard is doing for the legendary items in Mists. They're stretching it each patch, putting a story into it and it's flat out awesome. It's certainly better than say an RNG chance off a final boss in Black Temple, that's for sure. That was just lame IMO. Great looking weapons, don't get me wrong, but the fact that you could/can just jump in there and cross your fingers is asinine.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think the idea of what a legendary is, its whats being confused by you and others OP. legendary does not equal rare. thats simply a coincidence. legendary equals having a unique story and process to go thru to acquire the item. if a million people go thru the process there should absolutely be a million people rewarded with the item. its an experience of a lifetime. its much more interesting then "farm this boss for months, untill you get lucky".
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    legendary build through all the expansion sounds freaking amazing, much better then farm 1 raid for 2 months, gather all the parts, and never show up again. This time only dedicated people will get one.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that legendary gems are relatively easy to get now doesn't mean the legendary weapons are going to be easy to get later.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    This is essentially the epic pieces arguments but to the next level.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post

Actually when I finally got my 500 stat gem into my weapon that was an awesome feeling :P
    On topic I like the idea that anyone can get the legendary, because I dont have time for a raiding guild with all the school crap prepairing for university exams and shit around. I've been collecting legendarys over these years and I really dont want to miss out on it. Blizz can even make the LFR version of the final weapon (if there will be one) lower ilvl and put a Raidfinder tag on it, I dont care as long as theres a feat of strength and some orange text. So the hardcore raiders can have their max ilvl weapon and show to the world that they are better then anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    The fact that legendary gems are relatively easy to get now doesn't mean the legendary weapons are going to be easy to get later.
    Wiggly Arms is right. The later bits of the process could be pretty brutal.

Being that this is the first legendary I've gotten the opportunity to work on in current content, and I'm quite enjoying the experience...nope. I don't think they made a huge mistake at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Wiggly Arms is right. The later bits of the process could be pretty brutal.
    Personally I just want some crazy solo challenge or something.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I miss the old way they did legendaries, and not just because Hunters were almost guaranteed to get a class-based legendary this expansion. (It's totally our turn. The Sunwell legendary bow wasn't even best-in-slot back then.)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you miss the old system, simply dont get the new legendary and it will be exactly like it was for most people.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Nothing is a mistake if they're still reaping in big money.

But OT: I think this has to do what "rewards" is and how its defined.

Rewards are supposed to "self-rewarding" where it makes OP or titles, etc due to the hard work you put it. That's how it was back in vanilla and arguably still now. But the difference between that it required much more time commitment and coordination with fellow people whereas now its so much.

Now we don't have to relapse into a litany of curses in Arena like we did when facing rogues with Azzinoth blades, calling them "no life neckbeards," under our breaths.

Now we can all be no life neckbeards!

Deleted
    No. They are doing something different and making it so EVERYONE is involved, not just hardcore raiders.

Also people seem to forget that this legendary is already taking longer than any other legendary to obtain. That in itself makes this legendary pretty damn epic regardless of it being obtainable by everyone.

I'm just dropping by to give my take on Legendaries, which is quite a different stance to most.

I think they are and have always been a bad idea, at least for us players.

Not only do they cause a whole heap of squabbling amongst some portion of the player base that seem to think they are "due" a Legendary for no other reason than the fact that the last one (or couple) wasn't for them but I also believe that we as the minor heroes of Azeroth should never have access to these items, made as they are (sometimes) from Arthas' hammer, one thousand souls that need to be reaped and so on.

In my opinion Legendaries, should continue being quest chains but the end result is a lore character getting a new item/weapon/thing that gives them the power they need to help us bring down whatever it is we need to slay.

So in the case of say Tier 13... I'd have made the "Legendary" for that tier to be the Dragonsoul itself, given to the aspects to empower and finally for someone, likely Thrall or him + the aspects to use.

Going further back I'd have wanted to see Shadowmourne placed in the hands of someone like Darion Mograine or some other melee lore figure with a significant stake in the whole LK/Arthas story (wouldn't have gone to Tirion, as he had Ashbringer anyway). The fight would have to have been designed differently to include the interference of an additional lore character, but I'd rather see a weapon like that in his hands, rather than a melee dps