Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Uhh, you DO realize there are people who are mentally handicapped who do work right? Not everyone has the same mental capacity for occupations that require tons of logic based decisions.

Everyone is built differently, physically AND Mentally, no matter how hard you try to rationalize peoples inability to learn.

Besides, if someone can learn something with half the effort of another, who do you think companies will hire first? Those people who have a hard time learning are still going to be left in the gutter unless there are more occupations available than there are people looking to fill them, and the reality is there Isn't.

The world is not what it seems to be from the Ivory Tower my friend...
    I said in the post that you quoted "unless they have a learning disbility" - and that is a completely different issue. I am referring to all the lazy bastards who decide they cant be bothered to study and then bitch and moan when they cant find a job.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Suddenly I'm imagining Legion behind a McDonald's counter, wearing a McDonald's hat.

"Shepard-Commander, we are offering fries with that!"
    Combo Number Five Alive.

also the only jobs that are disappearing are jobs which require hung amount of repetition or require minimum thinking on the persons behalf. Any job with any human adaption is safe as computers and therefore by extension software and robots cannot adapt as they require step by step instructions. As another person pointed out above the number opportunities in semi skilled labour (such as tradework) is greatly increasing as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kNite View Post
    I said in the post that you quoted "unless they have a learning disbility" - and that is a completely different issue. I am referring to all the lazy bastards who decide they cant be bothered to study and then bitch and moan when they cant find a job.
    Like I said, even if people were to get a degree in a field, it doesn't guarantee them a job anyways, it just increases their chances by a good deal. There have been quite a few occurrences in the past few years where college grads with degrees and even masters sometimes couldn't find a job because companies preferred hiring people who already were working in the industry before them, even though those people are going to retire in < 10-15 years. And trust me, some of those people barely know how to operate more modern machines.

There have been countless examples of successful people who are famous around the world who have dropped out of high school and even college who have made more money then they would have made at a while collar job, some of those people are rather recent even. Just because they didn't get a college education doesn't mean they aren't capable of finding avenues of success on their own. But I will admit the chances are slim.

Still, you haven't answered my question about how you plan on fixing the issue of job occupations being finite in the tech and engineering industry, cause i can assure you there isn't enough positions for everyone, even when the industry is growing right now.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

first if you think 10 people can do the research and developement required to come up with new machines you have no idea what proper research and development entrails. But from the second comment you seem to be looking at just a company. yes jobs will be lost in 1 company but new companies will have to come up that actually develop that machines and software being used by the first company thereby developing new jobs. E.G :- a company buy a new software that makes redundancies in there work force - that software was developed by a company that was not there before the software was available making new job vacencies in that work area.
    Yes but how many jobs are lost for each one created? It takes a lot more people to do the job of a machine than it takes to maintain one. That's the WHOLE POINT of machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

one again its not just about maintaining the machine. Its about all the research and development that takes place to actually come up with a idea for a machine, develop prototypes, test them improve them, create a working model, test it, and then build it in large-sale for public sale. And then all the continuing research and development required to continually improve that machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need a war, and then less reproduction.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

This argument that machines have taken our jobs has been going on for like a hundred years now.
    yet somehow we manage to have more and more jobs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite_fallacy

there are also things called new markets.
    how many people worked with computers and software 30 years ago? 100s?
    how many now? millions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yes but how many jobs are lost for each one created? It takes a lot more people to do the job of a machine than it takes to maintain one. That's the WHOLE POINT of machines.
    Maintaing isnt the only job created from that machine, there is a lot of development time invested as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

Still, you haven't answered my question about how you plan on fixing the issue of job occupations being finite in the tech and engineering industry, cause i can assure you there isn't enough positions for everyone, even when the industry is growing right now.
    I dont need to as o explained above the jobs that are disappearing are which require hung amount of repetition or require minimum thinking on the persons behalf. Any job with any human adaption is safe as computers and therefore by extension software and robots cannot adapt as they require step by step instructions. As another person pointed out above the number opportunities in semi skilled labour (such as tradework) is greatly increasing as well.

Basically jobs for uneducated people are disappearing. Jobs for people with proper tertiary education (and i dont mean dud degrees some people take) or for people with most vocational traing the jobs still exist and are expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    They can work fast food.
    http://www.psfk.com/2012/11/burger-making-robot.html

Robots do that too.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    What would you classify as a proper education? Let's not forget that skilled labor that doesn't encompass engineering, design and development is in very high demand because there are so few people getting the required education and training.
    I second this. A college bachelor's degree in ANYTHING is what a High School diploma was 10 years ago. Most jobs above "shit tier" require you to have some incarnation of a college degree for no reason other than "you went to college, you played their game, you payed them 10's of thousands of dollars and all you have to show for it is this embossed piece of paper."

No, I'm not bitter about the state of education and jobs in this country. No. Not at all.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

This is nothing new.

Damn horses. Dey took our jewbs.
    Damn trains. Dey took horses' jewbs.
    So on.

People are always looking for ways to make life easier. Being worried about the natural consequences of that such as these is not smart. And that's not even the main problem. The point is, what would you do about this? Call for everyone to start doing everything manually again? Maybe we should do just that. Say, stop using any tech in construction. Think of how many jobs that would create! We'd be drowning in jobs.

This is the natural progression of things. Most of those being negatively affected by it have to change and adapt if they want to have a proper life.

Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    This is nothing new.

So on.

People are always looking for ways to make life easier. Being worried about the natural consequences of that such as these is not smart. And that's not even the main problem. The point is, what would you do about this? Call for everyone to start doing everything manually again? Maybe we should do just that. Say, stop using any tech in construction. Think of how many jobs that would create! We'd be drowning in jobs.

This is the natural progression of things. Most of those being negatively affected by it have to change and adapt if they want to have a proper life.
    The 'fix' is going to be doing away with money-based societies as there simply isn't going to be jobs for a large percentage of the population.

This is nothing new.

So on.
    I don't recal anybody complaining about Horses or Trains taking any jobs... especially since nobody had an invention that can make a person travel faster that the Horse out-did. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL people who believe they were born to dig ditches are lazy. You may not become a rocket scientist or physicist but everyone can get the basic knowledge and skill to do a skilled labor job. Every one has the capacity for learning (unless you have a real learning disability which is completely different scenerio). Yes some people will have to work harder than other for the same amount of knowledge absorption but saying some people are so dumb they can only learn how to handle a shovel is retarded.
    You obviously have not been where I live.

And nobody believes that they were born to dig ditches, that is just all they can do. And they are anything but lazy. Most people are stupid. Lots of people are extremely stupid. That is life. They need jobs too.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-01-24 at 04:33 AM.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    The 'fix' is going to be doing away with money-based societies as there simply isn't going to be jobs for a large percentage of the population.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. Why would half the population work then? No incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. Why would half the population work then? No incentive.
    Those that wish to have more than basic stuff would work. Those that want to invent, to explore, to think, still would.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is nothing new.

So on.

...what?

Name one other time in history where population growth was explosive and many jobs were being automated and stopped requiring human labour. Or at very least cut human labour requirement significantly.

Oh, and BTW:

www.thevenusproject.com

Edited Highlights
    Completely new-designed city society
    Resource-based Economy - no money
    Robots do menial work (from manufacturing to even building houses) - freeing people to pursue their own interests they enjoy
    Resources regulated via computers - no presiding ruling government needed.
    Efficient designs for all aspects of society - making all needs localized and easy to acquire for all.
    Not designed to solve every problem - designed to simply be a better solution and foundation for society.

I doubt I'll see this realized in my lifetime, but I do believe this is where we're headed.