Youtube channels and Music, Copyright issues

So I've been looking to get into videos. However, one thing I'm afraid of is copyright infringement on youtube. Where do people like Fatboss, Method, and Paragon get their music? I'm looking mostly for music without lyrics in it, that just goes well in the background.
    One video I particularly enjoyed the music of was Paragons heroic ragnaros kill.
    Is the music these more leet guilds use actually copyrighted and they just get permission?
    Should I look for independent artists who want to be featured in my videos? If any of you are out there, feel free to message me...

MachinimaSound makes some nice music, and it's royalty free.

If you want to use a song on YouTube, there's a few ways you can go about it.

1) Upload and accept. You basically upload your video, and then accept YouTube has found a copyright song within your video. At this point, either the video will be taken down, or you'll be given the option to show adverts on your video. They'll also say what song is used underneath in the description.

2) Use a fair usage guideline. This is a simple quote that you place in the description of your video. It doesn't cover all uses but it can come in handy to put one up anyway. This disclaimer is fairly simple;
    Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
    3) Get permission. This is the best way to go about it, and the one that's recommended. You essentially do a lookup of the publisher of the song on a licensing agency database. These are public websites that allow you to search for a song and find out information about it such as artist and publisher. You then head to the publishers website, and look for a 'licensing' link (or something worded similar. If you're making a YouTube video, you'll want to ask for a 'Synchronization' license (i.e. music running alongside a video). You might see an option for a 'Digital License', but this is usually for extracts from the song itself on it's own (such as a ringtone). You'll generally be directed to either a contact form or an email address. In either case, you'll need to provide the following information;
    - Name of the artist
    - Name of the song
    - How much of the song you intend to use and what parts specifically
    - Nature of use - NEVER use a copyrighted song in a distasteful manner
    - Is it an original or a cover?
    - Profit or non-profit usage - Monetizing a video on YouTube with copyrighted music counts as profitable usage

Once you've sent the contact form or email off, you should receive a response within 72 hours. It's advised to put a note in the description of the video to say thankyou to the publisher AND to inform viewers that you've gotten permission to use it.

Sometimes it won't be free to use a song and so it's advised to get permission BEFORE you start piecing it together (unless you're prepared to pay of course) but generally, provided you're not misusing a song, the publishers will be quite lenient.

4) Use royalty free music. There's a large amount of royalty free music out there. Unfortunately, much of it isn't really the style you might use within a WoW video and is more suited to educational productions. In either case, you're not to make money from these songs as that would violate the licensing terms associated with royalty free.
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | Node.js Monkey | Supporter of error 418 (I'm a teapot)
    Knows: Delphi, PHP, WQL/SQL, Python, JS + jQuery, HTML + CSS, Ruby, Node.js (+ Express & Socket.io)

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

Look into creative commons licensed stuff.

http://creativecommons.org/legalmusicforvideos
    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Random fact of the day : Every sitting member of Congress receives an issue of Hustler every month.