Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Yes, it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I think Infinite is used to old school MMOs where people congregate on quest hubs. Due to the dynamic nature of GW2 it's much different.

I can be standing out in the middle of nowhere and it looks deserted.

After the event, everyone goes back to what they were doing before and it looks empty as before. The reality is small pockets of people everywhere that congregate on the big events. You don't have to join a raid or a party to take part in these events, it happens quite naturally. Everyone that does damage gets credit, everyone that does damage gets loot from the chest. No kill stealing in GW2.

People standing around in LA looking for a fractals group is a misconception. Groups form almost instantly - btw, everyone is using gw2lfg.com since the game does not have a dungeon finder atm - that or running with guildies or friends. You can look at the gw2lfg site and see for yourself how quickly groups form.

LA is in near constant overflow due to the sheer amount of TRAFFIC going through LA. It's the main portal hub to get everywhere, the dungeon token vendors are there and people leaving WvW exit to LA.

Colin stated in the interview with MMORPG.com last week that both sales and concurrency are up and with over 3 mil in sales since launch they are the fastest growing MMO ever made.
    As in one of the 3 big envents everyone ever does, smooth...

I've leveled to 80 recently and the world I felt alone a in some zones, trying to do events not being able to find people for them is frustrating.
    I went from Queensdale where people did the troll and some of the centaur events to the next areas where there were very few people, and of that few even fewer were interested in anything more than just 1 event.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    As in one of the 3 big envents everyone ever does, smooth...

I've leveled to 80 recently and the world I felt alone a in some zones, trying to do events not being able to find people for them is frustrating.
    I went from Queensdale where people did the troll and some of the centaur events to the next areas where there were very few people, and of that few even fewer were interested in anything more than just 1 event.
    Yeah, unfortunately that is how it is in every mmorpg. Not sure how you can remedy that, perhaps remove levels altogether?

Deleted
    I can only speak of my opinion really, I still enjoy the game, I met some friends, have some laughs and doing fine for my time. Sure, I stop playing at some periods for other games or well...my work . But I always go back cause it's fun, and Anet always seem to add in some interesting content from time to time.

Also, on the whole everyone being in LA bit...how is that a surprise anyway? From my experience it was the exact same thing in WoW, back in TBC or Wotlk once I did my dailies which took no time at all and the random instance I just sat my butt in Shattrath/Dalaran and did nearly nothing but chat that was like 90% of the time, but same thing can be applied here, I still logged on because I had friends, I like to chat and we did shit together raids or w/e (Was in a hardcore raiding guild no less). So without turning this into a comparison thing...all I'm saying is, welcome to MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    ive never seen blind fanboyism either quite like it. -snip the rest-.
    I'm not as optimistic as Karizee and I don't think servers are as full just because the population says so, cause it isn't. But to say it's empty/dead isn't true either. You don't have to search much to find other players. I respect your opinion to say it's not worth it, I just don't really count you too much at all here because we know you. As you advised to save OP cash, I could say the same with you for your words.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I spent £50 on it and its basically wasted money, however thats me, its tough to say whether it is for you.
    My opinion is that infinites right and that their are much better games for pve/pvp already on the market and incoming too, personally i'd sit and wait for another trial period.
    Yeah, as I said. If he is reallly considering he should probably just go to a massive info thread and make his own mind and balance whether or not he should spend 60 bucks for it. If he's just "on the air" he should wait for a trial period which could take a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Infinite or not, its still deceptive to use the server full as a method of recognising popularity, I wasnt sure if infinite was right about the servers but (https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...ulations/first) proves its the case. So the post you quoted has quite a lot of truth to it but you chose to attack the poster, calling him a troll, instead of the post itself, thats the easy route.
    Yep, what he said it's true, however, it doesn't actually states if you are going to find players or not. And they did increase the cap on accounts so more people should join their loved ones if they wish (or just wait a few days for guesting). I recall from beta about them saying that they would tweak server max population on a weekly basis, and so they are doing.
    Karizee claims that everyone uses gw2lfg (Highly unlikely) and that you can see how quickly groups are formed...I cant all I see is elapsed time going up to 1 hour+ , its basically one 'fanboy' calling one thing and one 'troll' calling another, neither have any true statistics its just anecdotal. KArizee also claims that its unprecedented to see server caps lifted the way GW2 has seen, well that's because the way the servers work its not necessarily as he claims an indicator that the servers are chocablock with people, i
    Not everyone of course but I think it's growing in use (so much that Anet is already cooking a better lfg system in-game and yet no automatic stuff like wow), but still I think many will still run with guildies and use the actual map chat to find groups as they should. And it's pretty quick to form a group...even without gw2lfg. So basically it's all "pumped up" point of views and pieces of info from "both sides" more likely to distort reality than not. In the end empirical evidence dictates that for one to find a group to run a specific dungeon is very fast with or without gw2lfg. I'm not attacking you, but you would know provided you played the game, which you said you do not. Not only you but a good bunch of the "downers" that we see here also.
    What I find interesting is people accuse wow of being sat in a city waiting for random group pops and GW2 appears to be people sitting in Lions arch waiting for a website to tell them when a group is ready, and yet the random element of lfg is seen as the downfall of a community, and here we sit with the exact same thing in GW2, people joining up with random people over the internet to be able to complete dungeons but in this instance its actually viewed as a positive. Very much double standards from this side of the computer.

As to 20 people levelling up in a zone being impressive, I suppose some people are easily impressed, the game is designed so anyone can take part and yet only 20 people were there on a very busy server :S
    Idk about what was said but it's a fact that people sit on cities. I mean, it's safe, has all sort of commodities such as Trading post, Fractals, Dungeon Tokens Vendors, Vendors, Explorable stuff, Jumping Puzzles, Crafting Station, Bank, WvW queuers (if you are in overflow you need to go there I think). Besides Cities on Gw2 are amazing, it should be populated with people of course and it shows on preferences (I like Hoelbrak that I usually chill there lol). On wow is a fact where people sit on the city mainly because of queue lfg (which Impressively I found that you can queue for everything at the same time now ). So I think there is a difference there.

About people leveling. Eh, not impressive but it does answer the OP as to if it's active. There are places in gw2 that Ive never visited because I didn't find it appealing, instead I would level up in other areas lower than my level. While gw2 is a game where it's very spread out and you can see that happening, it's only natural that an event should pop up and only a few would show up (In fact that's good because event difficulty scalling is not very fun imho). While in Wow everyone is in the main city waiting for the content to reach them. None is perfect.
    Last edited by Zilong; 2013-01-24 at 08:10 PM.

i like it when people think im full of shit then research proves otherwise. tickles my fancy a bit. and when i use the term 'dead' i use the term in reference to how other mmos are treated when subscription numbers drop.

lets face it, any game that has no sub will never EVER be able to prove its playerbase. BUT when you see countless times not even 6 months after release and people are barely seeing anyone in the world theres a problem.

i think gw1 did it great especially with the ziashen missions they introduced whereby each day it would pick a new area and would be great to go to a town not normally populated only to see it over flowing with folk.

but because gw2 is persistant it falls into the other mmo traps. something i'll give blizzard to for trying to fix this issue with crz (cry all you want im glad i see more people around)
    Last edited by InfiniteRetro; 2013-01-24 at 06:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's worth it. The fun part of GW2 is that you don't have to play it as an "MMORPG", you can just play it as a single player game and have fun. I mean it's a lot better than many of the single player RPGs released in the last few years (Kingdoms of Amalur for one).

However, if your definition of "worth getting" is mainly "are players numbers still good", then these aren't the droids you're looking for.
    Last edited by Simca; 2013-01-24 at 07:44 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

still on your crusade I see, retro

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Yeah, it's worth it. The fun part of GW2 is that you don't have to play it as an "MMORPG", you can just play it as a single player game and have fun.

However, if your definition of "worth getting" is mainly "are players numbers still good", then these aren't the droids you're looking for.
    do you know how often i saw that as an attack. the 'omg wow is easy peasy theres no reason to group' and yet here we are, in the game that was supposed to redefine the genre experiencing the exact same thing.

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 04:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    still on your crusade I see, retro
    i pop in and out, leave a comment, get infracted because opinions apparently hurt peoples feelings over digital purchases.

I just started playing GW2 again (MoP is already boring me) and the numbers seem fine to me.

In my opinion it is worth buying for the leveling content.

Leveling to 80 was some of the most fun I've had in a video game (not just MMOs). The endgame however was a monumental disappointment for me. One of the games main selling points, "no defined tank/healer roles" ends up making the combat very one-dimensional zerg fests. I never felt challenged in a dungeon unless the other members of the group were very very bad (i.e. trying to play it like it was WoW), and overall the whole thing just never felt very rewarding.

I quit before this "fractal" thing I keep seeing people talk about was added, so maybe something changed, I don't know.

tl;dr - leveling is amazing and worth 60$. Past that, it's pretty sub-par.

In all honesty, I have never seen a game as lively as Guild Wars 2.

- Have yet to run any zone in GW2 devoid of people.
    - The Mists are never empty.
    - Have never zoned into LA and not been shuffled to an overflow server.
    - Chat is never not rolling off the screen faster than I read it in LA.

Some zones / areas are more popular than others, natch. Not too many folks enjoy the Charr or Sylvari areas from my experience. They seem the most sparse zones.

However, the ONLY comparable sustained liveliness in MMO I have seen was in World of Warcraft during Wrath of the Lich King. In the floating purple city- I don't remember the exact spelling, Dalaran.

Yet some times I would go days without seeing someone in zones of WoW. I remember that zone with the crashed plane [where you have to find invisible cats?] in Wrath had like no one in it. I tried Cata out and didn't see anyone questing except the f2p trial players. Once I left the starter areas it was extremely sparse aside from cities.

Or that one WOW zone with the tower in the middle. I saw 1 guy afking in the air in that zone. He was a cow.

Compared to Tera, Aion, Rift, DCUO, SWTOR, Secret World and Planetside; Guild Wars 2 is the most consistently active playerbase I have ever seen in an MMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    do you know how often i saw that as an attack. the 'omg wow is easy peasy theres no reason to group' and yet here we are, in the game that was supposed to redefine the genre experiencing the exact same thing.
    WoW IS the MMORPG genre at the moment.

GW2 is about as far as it can be from that point. When I played GW2, I played it to max level only once, which was maybe 100 hours or so played time. Leveling was fun every step of the way, and I don't regret the purchase despite the fact that I haven't touched it in months.

This may not make sense to you, but you do not actually have to devote a lifetime to each video game you play.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Tera went to unlimited trial recently and going full F2P in less then a month. If you're into this because it's an action MMO, Tera does that much better.

If you want a great story, SWTOR is also F2P. It does that much better.

About the only reasons to grab GW2 is either because you liked WvW zerg gameplay, or you love the aesthetics that arenanet has in its games. Pretty much everything else is done better by someone else and is free as in beer, rather then pay full price for the box that is GW2.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2013-01-24 at 08:19 PM.

When i last leveled a toon in early Cata i would prolly see maybe 2 other players in the mid level areas. I see way more than that in mid level zones in GW2. Ppl are still leveling alts and gathering mats and farming low level mats. Hell i still see at least 1 other player doing jumping puzzles when i try and do them. And theres tons in the WvW jumping puzzle. Lets not forget the fact that theres alot of players in the WvW maps all the time and they can be from a range of levels.

i like it when people think im full of shit then research proves otherwise. tickles my fancy a bit. and when i use the term 'dead' i use the term in reference to how other mmos are treated when subscription numbers drop.

lets face it, any game that has no sub will never EVER be able to prove its playerbase. BUT when you see countless times not even 6 months after release and people are barely seeing anyone in the world theres a problem.

i think gw1 did it great especially with the ziashen missions they introduced whereby each day it would pick a new area and would be great to go to a town not normally populated only to see it over flowing with folk.

but because gw2 is persistant it falls into the other mmo traps. something i'll give blizzard to for trying to fix this issue with crz (cry all you want im glad i see more people around)
    I see more people out in the world on my GW2 server than I do on my WoW servers even with the CRZ thing. But GW2 has it backwards, I've seen more people in leveling zones than I've seen in the endgame Orr zones, while I see barely anyone in the WoW leveling zones on my two servers but the endgame MoP zones are decently populated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Tera went to unlimited trial recently and going full F2P in less then a month. If you're into this because it's actiony MMO, Tera does that much better.
    And vindictus and dragon nest have better action combat than tera

I can play the subjective card as well

Quote Originally Posted by Bloogonis View Post
    Is Guild Wars 2 still worth getting
    There's no commitment past the initial cost of the box. So sure, why not. Play it at your own pace. Personally, I really wanted to like it, but I found it dreadfully boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

GW2 is doing great, since the new dungeon was released a higher amount of people are hiding in that instance, but the world is still thriving and I can reliably see others running around the zones.
    The game's gotten a content update every month since release and will continue to receive them at this rate for the forseeable future. The next round of updates (spread over january, february and march) will bring in new systems (similar to Zaishan missions in gw1) to get more people out in the various zones, amongst other features and the start of a new story narative.
    Most imporantly perhaps, as others have said, it's buy to play, and there's no commitement beyond that. You'll definitately get your 60$ worth out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    When i last leveled a toon in early Cata i would prolly see maybe 2 other players in the mid level areas.
    Cata was really bad with phasing too, so that didn't help matters.