Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    I don't understand what you mean with DR will kick in, care to elaborate?
    (also one of the most active dungeons is AC, the lowest level dungeon out there, while conversely arah is one of the least active)

  2. #122
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I don't understand what you mean with DR will kick in, care to elaborate?
    (also one of the most active dungeons is AC, the lowest level dungeon out there, while conversely arah is one of the least active)
    This is because more people can do AC than Arah, and Arah is often considered the hardest explo dungeon (thank you giganticus lupicus), making it not very pug friendly...

    And there is a DR system on dungeons if you run a dungeon to many times DR kicks in and you start getting shitty rewards, granted this is also for the same path in the dungeon and you need to complete it under X time, so the average person likely wouldn't hit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  3. #123
    It didn't occur to me he was talking about dungeon loot DR since this has nothing to do with finding dungeon groups
    (btw if you clear dungeons fast enough you circumvent DR (example CoF p1, do it fast enough and you'll always get 20 emblems X karma and Y exp)

    I understand what you're saying regarding difficulty but again this has nothing to do with finding groups through an lfg tool that works like wow's.

  4. #124
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    It didn't occur to me he was talking about dungeon loot DR since this has nothing to do with finding dungeon groups
    (btw if you clear dungeons fast enough you circumvent DR (example CoF p1, do it fast enough and you'll always get 20 emblems X karma and Y exp)

    I understand what you're saying regarding difficulty but again this has nothing to do with finding groups through an lfg tool that works like wow's.
    Oh I was just saying that's why Arah is so under run atm, if there were an LfG tool it may get more face time.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  5. #125
    Alright, so I've been playing the game for the last few hours, and I really like it so far. I made a Norn Hunter on the Borlis Pass server. The event system is really cool, and the gameplay seems much more dynamic than other mmo's. I think I am level 4 or 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    the irony of this statement is that you think it's a great thing to have to wait to do content, haha. sorry but that really made me laugh because i am certain you thought you actually had a winning argument.
    This is actually relevant to the thread title. Aren't there queues for WvW in GW2, or has the player activity dropped so much that there aren't queues for it anymore?

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloogonis View Post
    Alright, so I've been playing the game for the last few hours, and I really like it so far. I made a Norn Hunter on the Borlis Pass server. The event system is really cool, and the gameplay seems much more dynamic than other mmo's. I think I am level 4 or 5.
    Friendly advice meledelion inc:
    Hey man, great you like what you're seeing so far. Friendly advice for a noob:
    1. Gather everything you can (you don't crafting professions just get a pick, axe and sickle) (don't sell this stuff, just keep it (btw hitting the cogwheel in your inventory has a deposit all collectibles thingy, hit that once in a while )
    2. Level all weapons, sure you might like your sword/torch but make sure to try out axe/dagger aswell
    3. If it's white, salvage it.
    4. Don't buy weapons/armor (until you're max lvl)
    5. Don't level crafting professions, wait until you're max level. (if you're looking for the leveling boost, wait untill you're level 60ish and then use boosters/guild boosters and craft away, you'll hit lvl 75-77 easily (if you want more of a boost wait untill friday close to WvW reset)
    6. Don't use your karma jugs, save them for later
    7. If you don't know something, ask away (either here or ingame) or use /wiki "thing you want to research eg: /wiki pet
    8. Level untill you're 15 or 20, now make another profession and do the same thing (preferably one that uses another armour type)
    9. Don't rush, take it easy...

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 10:13 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    This is actually relevant to the thread title. Aren't there queues for WvW in GW2, or has the player activity dropped so much that there aren't queues for it anymore?
    This depends on various things, what Tier are you in (high tier realms have higher populations doing wvw)?, what time are you playing (did kids just get off from school)?, what BL are you queing up for (homeland and EB usually are full)?

    I play on desolation(t1-2 server) and have 10-15min queue times for deso BL, the other areas usually are instant entries.

  8. #128
    I would change the don't buy weapons and armor advice. It's pretty cheap to fully gear your self in blue weapons and armor every 5 levels then sell that stuff on the Trading Post or vendor them and essentially only spend a few coppers at a time to be geared properly.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    oh boo hoo. misinformation? dude, its a gear tier and gear gating attached with massive grind. 2 things arenanet said they wouldnt do.

    LOL fucking fanboys, first you cheer that theres no gear treadmill or gated content, then arenanet do it and then its all AOKAY.

    and you wonder why people like me have indents of the keyboard from all the face to desk smashing we do over this kind of ridiculousness.

    misinformation LOL oh no, the videogame needs defending!
    Your posts are just full of bullshit, no lie. And I would advise you to keep the fanboysm word out of it. There is no gated content. I don't know about you but legendaries should be hard to get, and if you want you damn well better grind (I know I won't). And Gear tier? I won't be left behind because I don't have legendary, or ascended or even exotic. Not to mention I will be able to get ascended in other parts of the game. Given Anet PR is just massively bad, but I really don't think there is a gear treadmill like all other games have (You don't have enough data to even say there is...no one has). and even the gated content shit because you can do all the Fractals naked if you want. It's just blind misconceptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Ive found anyone who types haha generally has a week point and so your's proves, the point infinite is making is not that queues are good but that you can queue anywhere for content not just in cities thus rendering the idea that everyone sits in org/sw waiting for a queue as moot.
    If youre able to show me a game that has no queue times when forming random groups then you're statement isn't as ludicrous as it looks. Also even if you were right, that's not ironic you misused the term, very much like alanis morisette did when she sang ironic.
    I don't actually think it was a 100% thing to say but I don't think the "haha" proves anything, like really, nothing at all, haha. The fact remains that one can (and many do) that. The point infinite is making doesn't help anything here. And Durz make a good point: The content that is not queue-able isn't the one people mostly do. Aside from Daily of boringness, even pet battles is a queue. The list that SamR provided is true but rather fluffy.

    Pet battles you can acess thru queue. It's a given you can play pokemon around the world. Hunting world rares, yeah..so much for content. Pet hunting would require you to be...a hunter! I could go on, the fact is that the content is queued. All the rest is just fluffy uped.

    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    The liklihood is yes you would have near instananeous grouping indeed, well for the main part, you'd still have issues with the less liked dungeons and possibly lower level dungeons but yes you would indeed, but diminsihing returns will kick in to prevent spam fests I imagine.
    I completely disagree with you here. Lower level dungeons wouldn't have a problem (If you wanted to throw something there you should say higher level but even so would be a long shot). Every dungeon has different stuff I think it would be split evenly (my opinion here) because you can tell over all gw2 the big range and mix-matching of all dungeons being used (You would not be queueing for lvl 40 dungeon and getting bad stuff, you would get loot and proper tokens for exotic/aesthetic gear). And honestly DR is something only the already-formed groups would MAYBE have to deal with, since at a normal pace even with highly skilled players you generally don't hit DR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloogonis View Post
    Alright, so I've been playing the game for the last few hours, and I really like it so far. I made a Norn Hunter on the Borlis Pass server. The event system is really cool, and the gameplay seems much more dynamic than other mmo's. I think I am level 4 or 5.
    Keep on it! Rangers are really fun. What weapons you are using? (My main is Ranger).

    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    This is actually relevant to the thread title. Aren't there queues for WvW in GW2, or has the player activity dropped so much that there aren't queues for it anymore?
    There are queues depending on the server you are. My server is 5th on the rank and only at prime times I get queued (usually for Eternal) for maybe 10-15 minutes. Borderlands are usually less filled and instant.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    And Durz make a good point: The content that is not queue-able isn't the one people mostly do. Aside from Daily of boringness, even pet battles is a queue. The list that SamR provided is true but rather fluffy.

    Pet battles you can acess thru queue. It's a given you can play pokemon around the world. Hunting world rares, yeah..so much for content. Pet hunting would require you to be...a hunter! I could go on, the fact is that the content is queued. All the rest is just fluffy uped.
    I find it really weird that in a forum with fans of a game which trumpets the ability to do whatever you want and not be tied to a gear progression grind, that stuff in other games which are not tied to a gear progression grind are dismissed as fluff. If the stuff I listed is fluff, then isn't all of GW2 just fluff? People in WoW solo old raids for fun and cosmetic gear. Everything in GW2 is pretty much just for fun and cosmetic gear.

    I would think the people who play GW2 would like the idea of a deep pet battle system. Given that 1.) GW1 had something like pet battles, and 2.) people play GW2 for all the cool non-progression mini-games. I'm surprised it's boiled down to the same reflexive anti-WoW arguments about it being "fluff" because you're not getting raid gear out of it. That's the type of argument I expect from a gear-focused elitist raider in WoW, not from a GW2 fan.

    PS: You only queue if you do pet battles PvP. Most people just run around doing pet battles PvE and collecting all the diff pets. You know, getting out in the old world, visiting old zones.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    I would change the don't buy weapons and armor advice. It's pretty cheap to fully gear your self in blue weapons and armor every 5 levels then sell that stuff on the Trading Post or vendor them and essentially only spend a few coppers at a time to be geared properly.
    This is a tough one since I can't check data atm (no ez acces to tp) I think that for low level items you're right but the moment you hit the higher ones it really becomes too expensive.
    I forgot that not all items become soulbound so you can resell them (I always buy rare items but use them for 10lvls).

  12. #132
    Alright guys, let's keep the topic on GW2. Stop the WoW discussions and comparisons. If you want to talk bout how LFG/LFD plays out in WoW, there are forums for it. If you want to talk about the kind of activities there are in WoW, there's a forum for that. If you want to talk about GW2 though, this is the right forum. Keep it on topic.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    I find it really weird that in a forum with fans of a game which trumpets the ability to do whatever you want and not be tied to a gear progression grind, that stuff in other games which are not tied to a gear progression grind are dismissed as fluff. If the stuff I listed is fluff, then isn't all of GW2 just fluff? People in WoW solo old raids for fun and cosmetic gear. Everything in GW2 is pretty much just for fun and cosmetic gear.

    I would think the people who play GW2 would like the idea of a deep pet battle system. Given that 1.) GW1 had something like pet battles, and 2.) people play GW2 for all the cool non-progression mini-games. I'm surprised it's boiled down to the same reflexive anti-WoW arguments about it being "fluff" because you're not getting raid gear out of it. That's the type of argument I expect from a gear-focused elitist raider in WoW, not from a GW2 fan.

    PS: You only queue if you do pet battles PvP. Most people just run around doing pet battles PvE and collecting all the diff pets. You know, getting out in the old world, visiting old zones.
    Pet battles in GW1? Is there another thing wow stole from GW that I forgot about? (just teasing, polymock wasn't something I cared for and I doubt anyone did )
    The problem with your point is that inorder to do the thing you list as content (hunting pets,...) still requires you to be geared for it. You do not have acces to it untill you're max lvl, my lvl 30hunter would love a rare pet but I doubt it's going to happen .

    I've stated previously why people look at the things you say as fluff in WoW, nothing of that kind "binds"(unique selling point) people to WoW raids on the other hand, do. (also elistist raiders aren't gearfocused, they are content focused but you require gear to see the content...)
    An example, let's say I play WoW and I only really do it for the pet battles. I could just buy pokémon and have a game that suits my needs better. Yet for raiding there isn't any alternative (maybe rift but I have no experience with that game)

  14. #134
    hmpf, I rather liked polymock. I hope they put it in GW2

  15. #135
    The problem with the Mmo community right now is the fact that people have artificial expectations of Mmo's. If you buy a game like Gw2 thinking its going to be something its not you will be disappointed. However if you buy the game to just experience it you will probably have a lot of fun.

    Gw2 has no monthly sub, meaning you can buy the game and treat it like any console game you would buy anyway. You can just play through the story to have fun or you can get involved in the mmo aspects of it. If you end up not liking the game you don't have to cancle a sub, and if you want to come back in the future all you have to do is just log in.

  16. #136
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    hmpf, I rather liked polymock. I hope they put it in GW2
    Well there's a "Polymock Arena" asura gate that's under construction in Rata Sum, so we shall see it some day in the future, not to mention there's the mini pet arena in LA that's been there since LA was first announced...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Well there's a "Polymock Arena" asura gate that's under construction in Rata Sum, so we shall see it some day in the future, not to mention there's the mini pet arena in LA that's been there since LA was first announced...
    Yeah I saw that there but they don't seem to be putting in any mini games anytime soon. I just wonder if they will forget about it.

  18. #138
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lion's Arch
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    The problem with the Mmo community right now is the fact that people have artificial expectations of Mmo's. If you buy a game like Gw2 thinking its going to be something its not you will be disappointed. However if you buy the game to just experience it you will probably have a lot of fun.
    I think it's that MMOs have so many kinds of games within them that appeal to different people.


    For someone that likes the aspects of hardcore raiding - the large scaled instances, the extreme min/maxing, the poring over of logs and futzing about with macros - this is not their game.

    For someone that likes raiding on a more casual basis they will very much enjoy the large scale dynamic events.

    For someone that's into exploring and leveling, this game was made for them.

    For someone that likes platforming games (then mix that with exploration and/or PvP) this game is hella fun.

    For someone that likes large scale PvP this is THE game to play.

    For someone that's more into arena type PvP with all the ladders and such, check back in a couple months. eSports is coming.

    For someone that likes RP and RP lite (and seriously, how many of us don't identify at least a little with our online alter egos?) this game is incredible with all the character customization and the immersion with the NPC chatter and the active mob UI.

    For someone that like dungeon crawling, it's a very good game.

    For someone that likes a lofty, time consuming goal that gives you a really rare and visually unique item, you will adore GW2.

    For someone that likes the freedom of customizable traits (or talents) to play the way you want, this game offers more than most on the market.

    For someone that likes to make RL cash from botting and goldselling in online games, they will hate GW2 due to their swift and frequent bans.

    For someone that likes to troll MMOs with vulgar map or trade chat, they will detest it since they are quickly muted.

    For someone that's looking for a positive social experience, this is the most excellent MMO on the market right now because of the cooperative nature of the game.
    If you want justice, you've come to the wrong place.
    ~Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post

    Keep on it! Rangers are really fun. What weapons you are using? (My main is Ranger).
    .

    I am using dual axes at the moment, and I have a hatchet for chopping of trees. I plan to get a pickaxe soon too.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

  20. #140
    "Esports is coming"-- that doesn't make sense. Esports isn't a feature a developer can add.

    Guys, we added esports!

    Come on now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •