Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Is Guild Wars 2 still worth getting (i.e Player Activity Still Good?)

The title pretty much sums it up.

Is it still worth getting and is the player number still at a healthy level? I have wanted to try it out, but I still am trying to decide whether I want to get it or not. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

Hmmm I think this decision is best to be made by yourself. You will find a lot of different opinions here (as to why not or why yes).

I think if you are considering you should read on infos we have here, watch some youtube videos and all. Out of your own pocket you think that 60 bucks for an mmo with no subscription is a fair price? Cause they do provide at least a minor patch every month...so you might like to balance that into your decision. All in all it's low risk and def worth the money for even a stand single player adventure... About numbers...well we know for a fact it has sold over 3 million copies and they admitted it was more they anticipated, but that might be subjective. You could wait for Feb patch and see what's up as more players might come back with that...

So it is still up to you.

There's plenty of players for all the group content and leveling zones if you play at normal playing hours on an active server (and if you're newly coming in, it's easy to pick one of the better populated servers). WvWvW PvP is alive and fine, sPvP is still there and playable but the hardcore PvPers left ages ago.

Lack of players won't bother you in this game, really, unless you want to do competitive PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lion's Arch, the main city, is in overflow from 6 am to midnight on most servers.
    They've lifted the server caps around every two weeks since launch and the servers just fill right back up again. They are lifting them weekly now.

This is 5 months after launch. I've never seen anything like it.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    If you are interested in the pve and wvwvw elements then it's still an alive and kicking game going it's strongest. However, if you are interested in competitive spvp you have better wait. Heart of the mist is thinning out and participation in competitive pvp is number of teams you can count on your fingers. Updates are incoming but taking way slow... so for spvp, I'd say in 6 months there should be an answer if they managed to save it or not.

If they have sold over 3 million copies, then my guess would be at least a million still play daily. As far as is it worth getting? if your a pvper then your ok. Dont know much about the pve side of it, as for I have only watched and have been told about gw2 by many of my friends. I was also thinking about getting it, but I also just subbed to Trion for Rift, so as soon as Im burnt out on Rift, Ill give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by yack346 View Post
    If they have sold over 3 million copies, then my guess would be at least a million still play daily. As far as is it worth getting? if your a pvper then your ok. Dont know much about the pve side of it, as for I have only watched and have been told about gw2 by many of my friends. I was also thinking about getting it, but I also just subbed to Trion for Rift, so as soon as Im burnt out on Rift, Ill give it a go.
    I think no matter what you like gw2 could be good. Pve is doing good despite it's flaws and I hope we see more improvements soon (which I think we will). Wvw is there always, and as much as spvp doesn't have much tournaments (aka competitive play) going on, you can always find spvp on the "casual" hot join servers or as soon as feb (Im betting) we will have the private spvp servers you can rent which should boost pvp participation (Which will be good since you can custom the server up to your likings or just join a pvp guild to play it more seriously against each other and improve. Not to mention crafting, jumping puzzles and more. So I don't think it should be looked as "No if you are into pvp (spvp)" simply because it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by yack346 View Post
    If they have sold over 3 million copies, then my guess would be at least a million still play daily. As far as is it worth getting? if your a pvper then your ok. Dont know much about the pve side of it, as for I have only watched and have been told about gw2 by many of my friends.
    If you actually tried it you'd find out that it's the opposite. The PvP is a mega flop and it's pretty much dead apart from WvWvW, but PvE is doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Lion's Arch, the main city, is in overflow from 6 am to midnight on most servers.
    They've lifted the server caps around every two weeks since launch and the servers just fill right back up again. They are lifting them weekly now.

This is 5 months after launch. I've never seen anything like it.

ive never seen blind fanboyism either quite like it. the reason why LA is in overflow is because thats where everyone IS. the world is dead unless your in that city trying to get ascended fractal runs.

oh, and to the OP, if anyone posts an image showing the servers being high and full, just so you know, two official devs on the arenanet forums confirmed that its not showcasing the players logged in, but the accounts bound to that server.

so a server say having 1000 accounts bound to it would still read full if no one was logged in.

gotta love deception.

no its not worth it, with The Elder Scrolls Online coming as well as other games on the market that do pve/pvp better, save your cash. you'll get bored in 2 weeks.

Deleted
    my server is quite full. but i hope you know somebody who play this game (or your not afraid of some contact with other people ). makes much more fun that way.
    Last edited by mmoc7c08c42f71; 2013-01-24 at 11:28 AM.

Deleted
    Same as my server, but yeah dont bother to reply to inifinite for some reason he hates gw2 with passion while praising unreleased mmos, ah well to each his own I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post

no its not worth it, with The Elder Scrolls Online coming as well as other games on the market that do pve/pvp better, save your cash. you'll get bored in 2 weeks.
    These statements are just embarrassing atm, but it's amusing to see just how many optimists still are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    These statements are just embarrassing atm, but it's amusing to see just how many optimists still are out there.
    whats embarrassing is you thinking a game has evolved the genre by turning you into a 360 degree rotating turret while in combat. brilliant, never been done before /s

oh, and to the OP, if anyone posts an image showing the servers being high and full, just so you know, two official devs on the arenanet forums confirmed that its not showcasing the players logged in, but the accounts bound to that server.
    I see plenty of people across all the zones on Piken Square during prime times. And this is not the most active server out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloogonis View Post
    The title pretty much sums it up.

Is it still worth getting and is the player number still at a healthy level? I have wanted to try it out, but I still am trying to decide whether I want to get it or not. Thoughts?
    I spent £50 on it and its basically wasted money, however thats me, its tough to say whether it is for you.
    My opinion is that infinites right and that their are much better games for pve/pvp already on the market and incoming too, personally i'd sit and wait for another trial period.

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    I see plenty of people across all the zones on Piken Square during prime times. And this is not the most active server out there.
    That means nothing to the quote youre replying too, the servers have a capacity of accounts not a number of log ins thats what infinite is saying. If I was to want to join my friend I cant because the account capacity is reached on his server, guesting will help with that ofc, but no matter what time of day I log on that server will still be full. At least thats how i understand it, and the only way i can get on with my friend is to hope someone leaves or they increase capacity not log on at a quieter time of day.

I would also suggest in reply to karizees exclaim of increasing capacity and how he's seen nothing like it before, if this is the case, then my inactive account is stopping someone from joining the server I'm on and so they will need to continue to increase capacity not neccasarily just because of increased player flow but also because of defunct/absent accounts hogging the server capacity and potentialy producing artificial belief in a rapidly expanding active player base.

Howver, with 3 million sales im pretty sure that even with the usually high drop out rates mmos have they are still going to have a huge number of active players as pointed out by everyone standing around in lions arch creating lots of overflow servers.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-01-24 at 12:14 PM.

Deleted
    I really enjoyed the dynamic events, npcs taking over questhubs and having to drive them away again, the jumping puzzles, level downscaling to match the zone's level so questing is never completely faceroll, and the weaponswap / different skills per weapon type. Just for that it's worth playing already.

Monthly new stuff is added to the game, and there's no monthly fee, so you can easily put the game aside for some weeks/months to try different games then come back to GW2 without additional costs and see what they added.
    Last edited by mmoc2e7b040398; 2013-01-24 at 12:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the reason why LA is in overflow is because thats where everyone IS. the world is dead unless your in that city trying to get ascended fractal runs.
    I think Infinite is used to old school MMOs where people congregate on quest hubs. Due to the dynamic nature of GW2 it's much different.

I can be standing out in the middle of nowhere and it looks deserted.
    http://i.imgur.com/Kvyub.jpg

10 minutes later an event spawns and all hell breaks loose.
    http://i.imgur.com/fm9ZE.jpg

After the event, everyone goes back to what they were doing before and it looks empty as before. The reality is small pockets of people everywhere that congregate on the big events. You don't have to join a raid or a party to take part in these events, it happens quite naturally. Everyone that does damage gets credit, everyone that does damage gets loot from the chest. No kill stealing in GW2.

People standing around in LA looking for a fractals group is a misconception. Groups form almost instantly - btw, everyone is using gw2lfg.com since the game does not have a dungeon finder atm - that or running with guildies or friends. You can look at the gw2lfg site and see for yourself how quickly groups form.

LA is in near constant overflow due to the sheer amount of TRAFFIC going through LA. It's the main portal hub to get everywhere, the dungeon token vendors are there and people leaving WvW exit to LA.

Colin stated in the interview with MMORPG.com last week that both sales and concurrency are up and with over 3 mil in sales since launch they are the fastest growing MMO ever made.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-25 at 12:05 AM. Reason: thumbnails or links. :)
    Valar morghulis

ive never seen blind fanboyism either quite like it. the reason why LA is in overflow is because thats where everyone IS. the world is dead unless your in that city trying to get ascended fractal runs.

so a server say having 1000 accounts bound to it would still read full if no one was logged in.

gotta love deception.

Heh. So, anyone want to take any bets on when InfiniteRetro will get banned for trolling again this time? I give an over/under of 11 days. I'll take the under.

As for populations, it's still very busy on my server Yak's Bend particularly during prime time. Overflow all the time in Lion's Arch. Lots of people still leveling in the human areas at least. I'm leveling a level 44 guardian and did the conclusion to the centaur war last night in a level 35-45 zone and ended up having about 20 people trying to take down the final boss. We failed . Pretty impressive 5 months into a game that there would be that many people still leveling up.

It's easily worth getting for the leveling experience and constant events added to the game. Here's a nice introductory guide if you decide to buy the game.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2013-01-24 at 03:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Heh. So, anyone want to take any bets on when InfiniteRetro will get banned for trolling again this time? I give an over/under of 11 days. I'll take the under.
    Infinite or not, its still deceptive to use the server full as a method of recognising popularity, I wasnt sure if infinite was right about the servers but (https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...ulations/first) proves its the case. So the post you quoted has quite a lot of truth to it but you chose to attack the poster, calling him a troll, instead of the post itself, thats the easy route.
    Karizee claims that everyone uses gw2lfg (Highly unlikely) and that you can see how quickly groups are formed...I cant all I see is elapsed time going up to 1 hour+ , its basically one 'fanboy' calling one thing and one 'troll' calling another, neither have any true statistics its just anecdotal. KArizee also claims that its unprecedented to see server caps lifted the way GW2 has seen, well that's because the way the servers work its not necessarily as he claims an indicator that the servers are chocablock with people, i

What I find interesting is people accuse wow of being sat in a city waiting for random group pops and GW2 appears to be people sitting in Lions arch waiting for a website to tell them when a group is ready, and yet the random element of lfg is seen as the downfall of a community, and here we sit with the exact same thing in GW2, people joining up with random people over the internet to be able to complete dungeons but in this instance its actually viewed as a positive. Very much double standards from this side of the computer.

As to 20 people levelling up in a zone being impressive, I suppose some people are easily impressed, the game is designed so anyone can take part and yet only 20 people were there on a very busy server :S

Colin stated in the interview with MMORPG.com last week that both sales and concurrency are up and with over 3 mil in sales since launch they are the fastest growing MMO ever made.
    And the previous one? SWtor, really not an indication of anything except good initial sales.

Also karizee edit your photos so they arent so big on my screen S:
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-01-24 at 04:08 PM.

I play about 3 times a week. There seems to be a fair amount of people playing. Mid level areas are a bit sparse but that is common for mmorpgs. Whenever a major event happens there are always people showing up for it. I'd say go for it OP.