Worth delaying Synapse Springs to line it up with Dark Soul? (4pc)

I have the 4set bonus that reduces the cooldown of Dark Soul, and use it combined with Synapse Springs for Chaos Bolts but because of the difference in cooldowns I generally end up leaving Synapse Springs unused for about 20 seconds while I wait for DS's cooldown.

Over the course of a boss fight that amounts to quite alot of lost uptime. Is it really worth it when I could just use it as soon as it's ready?

Do you think that's cause enough to use the Glyph of Dark Soul?

If you just use your dark soul on cooldown with no change in rotation, it might not be, but since you're probably making sure to maximize your dps during dark soul, for example by dumping all your embers into chaos bolts, then I'd say it's worth it.

Deleted
    I have no math to back this up, but I don't think it's worth saving it. I've always assumed, based on what I was told way back when, that popping cooldowns as soon as they became available has been the best DPS-wise.
    I don't think the 20 seconds lost would be made up for by the combination of the two.

I think it would be a DPS gain, but I won't do more than a little napkin math for you.
    Keep in mind that Destro DPS has very big spikes and is more flat outside of DS. Because the spells you use during DS have already a higher DPET and better scaling (Chaos Bolt or Shadowburn) you increase the effect of you synapse springs, but decrease the uptime of them.

Synapse Springs without delay:
    1920 INT * 10s / 60s = 320 INT

Synapse Springs with delay:
    I take the assumption that you cast Chaos Bolt during DS so the +30% Crit bonus converts to a +30% DMG bonus for this spell.
    1920 INT * 10s / 80s * (1+1/3) = 320 INT

But now keep in mind that this is only very simple napkin math, which does not involve your gear and the + 30% gained Crit Bonus while in DS is no +30% DMG bonus, when your crit chance is above 0%. Also remember that you will most likely cast incinerate to fill your embers short before DS. If you don't delay your Synapse Springs, you will increase the damage of a low DPET spell, but when you delay them, you will increase the damage of a high DPET spell.

Your 2nd Synapse Springs lines up perfectly with Lightweave and Light of the Cosmos.

Holding Eng Gloves for every Dark soul was a 700 dps increase over using them on CD based on my sim on my lock who is 510ilvl so I don't see why it would be a loss in any form even with lesser gear...you just get lesser benefit from it(maybe).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Holding Eng Gloves for every Dark soul was a 700 dps increase over using them on CD based on my sim on my lock who is 510ilvl so I don't see why it would be a loss in any form even with lesser gear...you just get lesser benefit from it(maybe).
    Would you be so kind to teach me how to do this? I would really like to know how to make simcraft do such a thing.

Normal Eng Glove Line is actions+=/use_item,name=shaskin_gloves

If you want to hold it for Dark Soul actions+=/use_item,name=shaskin_gloves,if=buff.dark_soul.up

You might want to try optimize usage of all procs/CDs in SimCraft before you use this as an argument.

Deleted
    Normal Eng Glove Line is actions+=/use_item,name=shaskin_gloves

If you want to hold it for Dark Soul actions+=/use_item,name=shaskin_gloves,if=buff.dark_soul.up
    Wonderful! Thanks a bunch.

@ Bonkura what do you mean? My sim increased by 500ish DPS by doing the delay that he linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    Wonderful! Thanks a bunch.

@ Bonkura what do you mean? My sim increased by 500ish DPS by doing the delay that he linked.
    I believe he's saying that because the simcraft profile has no (or very little) procs/cd usage optimization already, that it's possible the gain shown in the sim wouldn't transfer to in-game results as the gain shown in sim could just as easily not be the case when playing with correct cooldown/proc usage.

Deleted
    Wouldn't that translate into an even bigger dps gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    Wouldn't that translate into an even bigger dps gain?
    It's possible that in the process of optimizing procs/talent usage that by delaying your gloves you're losing the int when you have procs up, and sacrificing the increased damage there for times when you just have dark soul.

I know that with 4pc (I just personally got it on Wednesday) I have times when I have no procs up for a dark soul, while I can have 2, 3+ int procs up when I'd use gloves normally.

Deleted
    With the 4-piece I rarely have the embers to cast 3 CB outside of DS. With the way better scaling on CB compared to our other spells (and 30% crit) I would guess it's kind of a nobrainer to delay it. I could be off in this but I think int scales way better with crit them with more int. My guess is basically save it for a time where you want to cast 3 CBs within 10 seconds. With the 4-piece this is generally during DS

Same "logic" applies for 5.1 valor trinket.