Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people dropped their Civics when I used to live in Boston. They also painted them a bright color and installed huge subwoofers in the trunk that would rattle the car.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theory, I bet the US Government wouldn't mind one bit if the general population were more ignorant to how they worked lol.

All part of the plan.
    This is what I tought of too when I read this.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, getting rid of arts and crafts haven't helped things... while I would normally "test scores have gone down since cutting arts," the entire "testing" system is bogus. Everyone is different and learns differently. However, all of these tests can only grade a few parts of a person's intelligence (Gardner's 7 Intelligences http://www.infed.org/thinkers/gardner.htm).

Mini-pro-arts rant over.

At least DC isn't doing what the Texas school systems are doing. Texas schools are no longer required to teach critical thinking because it might hinder "fixed beliefs" and "undermine parental authority."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...pFXW_blog.html
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

"You can get through High School in my school district without taking Calculus, the highest you have to go is Pre-Calc"

Interesting. I am 52, meaning I did high school back in the 1970s. I DID do Calculus in High School. There were 8 of us in the class, give or take a few. Very few did much more than Business Math and maybe Algebra II. A huge majority never did Pre Calc, and few did Physics. Although we DID have a decent Chemistry class!

Sounds to me like students these days are being required to do a LOT more than back in the 1970s, and the handwringing is about the fact that the new generation can't do in 2 years what most people didn't do in 4 a generation ago.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 04:10 PM ----------

"I cited Washington DC as the most recent case in an ongoing issue. That issue is the common response to failing test scores and a poor educational system. If the children are doing poorly in a certain subject then get rid of/reduce the requirements for that subject."

This is exactly how the testing program was sold. One of the benefits of testing is that it allows us to get rid of programs that are failing and keep the ones that are working. This is "working as intended".

Getting rid of Civics really is the least expensive and easiest way to deal with the problem of low Civics scores. It is just that sometimes going down the path of least resistance leads to not so good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Interesting. I am 52, meaning I did high school back in the 1970s. I DID do Calculus in High School. There were 8 of us in the class, give or take a few. Very few did much more than Business Math and maybe Algebra II. A huge majority never did Pre Calc, and few did Physics. Although we DID have a decent Chemistry class!

Sounds to me like students these days are being required to do a LOT more than back in the 1970s, and the handwringing is about the fact that the new generation can't do in 2 years what most people didn't do in 4 a generation ago.
    What you described was pretty similar to what most students did in my high school, Algebra 2 + Excel accounting. I tutored like half the baseball team on algebra 2 so they would be eligible for the state tournament, and let me tell you, they definitely were not going anywhere near a calc class anytime soon.

Deleted
    Yes ! Lets make the future generations of mankind dumber then the previous generations, that sounds like a good idea!