Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This is also why many people hate Obama for not keeping all his promises despite the fact that it is the Republicans vetoing bills and whatnot. They all think he has a magic wand that he can wave to make anything happen and is said magic does not happen the public gets angry.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    And now we see why you are ok with Civics not being taught. You don't understand it.
    Is that all you could muster?, or are you going to give me the name of an oxymoron (honest politician).

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Is that all you could muster?, or are you going to give me the name of an oxymoron (honest politician).
    Other than the fact that you can't seem to talk about the actual thread, and keep trying to red herring into whining about lying politicians, why do you think I'm trying to muster anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    This is also why many people hate Obama for not keeping all his promises despite the fact that it is the Republicans vetoing bills and whatnot. They all think he has a magic wand that he can wave to make anything happen and is said magic does not happen the public gets angry.
    See that is the problem. The class isn't even un-mandatory yet, at first I was joking around but take US gov classes out I don't will do much for a majority of the graduating class.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Other than the fact that you can't seem to talk about the actual thread, and keep trying to red herring into whining about lying politicians, why do you think I'm trying to muster anything?
    Because you simply assumed I knew nothing of civics based on me saying "politicians lie" in response to "anyone with a firm grasp of Civics will never fall for the "Obama never had a budget!" rhetoric".

Also civics is about U.S. government, more specifically the rights and duties of citizenship, and politics involves the U.S. government, so how am I not talking about the thread?
    Last edited by muto; 2013-01-24 at 05:41 AM.

Because you simply assumed I knew nothing of civics based on me saying "politicians lie" in response to "anyone with a firm grasp of Civics will never fall for the "Obama never had a budget!" rhetoric".

Also civics is about U.S. government, more specifically citizenship, and politics involves the U.S. government, so how am I not talking about the thread?
    No, it was your first post in the thread that shows how little you know about the US Government.

This one:
    A class in U.S. government only benefits those that are going into politics/history anyways.
    Again, that mentality is why the US is in the declining state it is in.

10+ Year Old Account
    us government was my favorite class right next to social studies. this is sad to hear they are dropping the class.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

No, it was your first post in the thread that shows how little you know about the US Government.

This one:

I don't think so at all. And I don't think anyone can provide a real answer as to why we are in a declining state. Not because the population doesn't understand politics or economics......Or we would be in a declining state since forever.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Pretty Happy that my gains count towards credits

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    us government was my favorite class right next to social studies. this is sad to hear they are dropping the class.
    Not dropping the class altogether.....Just the requirement for it.

This one:

Then you should have quoted that shouldn't you have? I learned all about the constitution and bill of rights in my 5th grade history class, so high school civics was pointless for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    I don't think so at all. And I don't think anyone can provide a real answer as to why we are in a declining state. Not because the population doesn't understand politics or economics......Or we would be in a declining state since forever.
    A real answer is that most of our politicians are bought by large corporations and the political parties use misdirection, uninformed, and one-issue voters to keep power. If people understood how our government worked and actually payed attention, we would be able to combat this creeping death. Instead we are bombarded with 'Obama wants your guns!' and 'Binders full of women!' and Jersey Shore while cutting things like NPR and crushing unions.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 12:47 AM ----------

Then you should have quoted that shouldn't you have? I learned all about the constitution and bill of rights in my 5th grade history class, so high school civics was pointless for me.
    I did quote that. Back on the first page. Perhaps you could try paying attention to the thread a little bit?

A real answer is that most of our politicians are bought by large corporations and the political parties use misdirection, uninformed, and one-issue voters to keep power. If people understood how our government worked and actually payed attention, we would be able to combat this creeping death. Instead we are bombarded with 'Obama wants your guns!' and 'Binders full of women!' and Jersey Shore while cutting things like NPR and crushing unions.
    You really think so? Hmm maybe I'm becoming more and more of a pessimist.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 05:49 AM ----------

Were you raised in the south? Sounds like something someone from the south would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    You really think so? Hmm maybe I'm becoming more and more of a pessimist.
    I really think so. I don't think it is going to happen because of the anti intellectualism that pervades popular culture, but yes, I think if the people took an interest in the government, educated themselves on what is going on, and made it clear to their representatives that they aren't going to put up with their shit anymore, we could combat this slide into mediocrity.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 12:47 AM ----------

I did quote that. Back on the first page. Perhaps you could try paying attention to the thread a little bit?
    Didn't see that post. oh well.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    A class in U.S. government only benefits those that are going into politics/history anyways.
    Uh, what? I mean, it's only Government that governs your daily life...

I really think so. I don't think it is going to happen because of the anti intellectualism that pervades popular culture, but yes, I think if the people took an interest in the government, educated themselves on what is going on, and made it clear to their representatives that they aren't going to put up with their shit anymore, we could combat this slide into mediocrity.
    Maybe, but I don't think so. If we removed corporations form politics it would be for the better. But it wouldn't solve much outside morality issues if you ask me. Red and Blue will still be at each other's necks, the less educated (which will always exist no matter what) will run rampant and always be the biggest drama queens. and be persuaded by the "show" from politicians.

US schools are shit. I don't recall one thing but basic math, reading, writing, and spelling that I use on a daily basis. Making credits earnable by team sports and extra curricular nonsense is not the way to go. At this rate I would rather homeschool my kid and figure out a way to deal with the social negative side effects then let them in the pile of crap our schools have become. We are a joke to the rest of the world and our education would be why. Heck, school does nothing useful. They can't even keep a kid safe from bullies 90% of the time unless they SEE it. If they don't see it there is nothing they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    US schools are shit. I don't recall one thing but basic math, reading, writing, and spelling that I use on a daily basis. Making credits earnable by team sports and extra curricular nonsense is not the way to go. At this rate I would rather homeschool my kid and figure out a way to deal with the social negative side effects then let them in the pile of crap our schools have become. We are a joke to the rest of the world and our education would be why. Heck, school does nothing useful. They can't even keep a kid safe from bullies 90% of the time unless they SEE it. If they don't see it there is nothing they will do.
    What do you do for a living?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    lol wut? Not sure if serious? When I took it we learned how the whole state and federal government worked, from state laws to constitutional amendments, what power each branch has etc etc etc. Pretty sure if more people were actually more informed on how the political system and the economy actually works rather than listening to someone else who is voicing their very skewed opinion we would be in a much better state right now.