Liquid or Air Cooling? By how much is liquid better (if any)?

Hello.

So I'm in the process of building my first computer.

A little problem I ran in to (given I have very limited computer building knowledge/experience) is wether to choose liquid or air cooling for my system.

I'm going for the i5 3570k and GTX 680 (probably, maybe even 670 depending on my budget). I'm honestly not set in stone for the specs yet as I haven't researched it much but for the CPU and GPU these are what I'm hoping for.

I'm probably going to be OCing the CPU and maybe even the GPU if possible. From what I know this'll require a lot of cooling.

Is a liquid system necessary in this case or will aftermarket air coolers suffice?

What aftermarket are fans do you recommend? Do I only need an extra aftermarket fan for my CPU or are there cases that allow for more fans (which'll mean I have to a PSU that supplies more power?)? Will I risk the liquid system leaking and ruining my computer?

Cheers

I guess you are talking about AIO liquid coolers such as Corsair H100i.

If you look at http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/a...h100i_review/2 you will see that it is trading blows with the top of the line air coolers such as Noctua NH-D14 and Phanteks PH-TC14PE.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to OC your CPU, I highly suggest running a liquid cooling system. You will be able to run higher speeds at lower temperatures. I am running an i7 3770K @ 4.8GHz with a Corsair H100 cooling system. I sit at around 55-60C at full load. Many liquid cooling systems are failry inexpensive now and are all self contained. As long as you don't yank on the hoses or anything like that, there should be no risk of the liquid leaking fromt he unit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have heard from a number of people that liquid coolers are noisier at full load and higher temperatures.

There's no performance gain in overclocking results compared to best air coolers in temperature or noise.

The real advantages of cheap liquid coolers like the Corsair H100i and it's breed is that it makes installation around the CPU cleaner. You can use any stupid decoration RAM you like with it without running into problem of will it fit under Noctua NH-D14 or not.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    There's no performance gain in overclocking results compared to best air coolers in temperature or noise.

The real advantages of cheap liquid coolers like the Corsair H100i and it's breed is that it makes installation around the CPU cleaner. You can use any stupid decoration RAM you like with it without running into problem of will it fit under Noctua NH-D14 or not.
    +1 to this, some of the larger air coolers simply do not allow anything to fit under them other then regular low profile ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    +1 to this, some of the larger air coolers simply do not allow anything to fit under them other then regular low profile ram.
    Yep I can only agree with this.

Personally I prefer air coolers because of better personal experience but they are definately bulky and do not fit on some boards in combination with ram that has those 'spike cooling' things (that don't really work too well).
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2013-01-24 at 03:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post
    Yep I can only agree with this.

Personally I prefer air coolers because of better personal experience but they are definately bulky and do not fit on some boards in combination with ram that has those 'spike cooling' things (that don't really work too well).
    There's also the fact that you have this HUGE heatsink hanging off your cpu basically, even thou most fins are aluminum the heat block itself is usually copper which can be heavy.

My local Fry's Electronics was having a sale, I picked up a brand new H50 for 29.99, and I couldn't be happier with it.
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    D14 user here. Love the ease of installation, temps and look. (I know some hate the fans, but they have grown on me)

Edit: I should say that I would go with what your preference/budget allows. The top tier air coolers and AIO coolers are quite close in performance. One caveat is what case you can fit them in without modification. I opted for the D14 because I went with a RV-02E. I would have to step down to a H80 or similar if I were to want an AIO water block.
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2013-01-24 at 05:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    D14 user here. Love the ease of installation, temps and look. (I know some hate the fans, but they have grown on me)

Edit: I should say that I would go with what your preference/budget allows. The top tier air coolers and AIO coolers are quite close in performance. One caveat is what case you can fit them in without modification. I opted for the D14 because I went with a RV-02E. I would have to step down to a H80 or similar if I were to want an AIO water block.
    That's why I didn't go with the Kraken X60, my case has 2 140mm spots on top but its so close to the mother board a rad and 4 fans in push/pull would NOT fit at all. The H50 fit perfectly in the 120mm spot on the back of the case, and I set it up in push/pull exhaust, ya I know intake supposedly gets better temps, but I'm not that concerned as I stopped OCing.

Are Silverstone cases really that good? I see alot of you guys/gals using Silverstones.
    Last edited by at05gt; 2013-01-24 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    Are Silverstone cases really that good? I see alot of you guys/gals using Silverstones.
    Yes. Silverstone and Lian Li are some of the highest quality cases you can get.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450