Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Strongest melee DPS class in 5.2?

I'm considering switching classes for 5.2. My 10 man group needs a melee DPS so my choices are:

Windwalker
    Feral Druid
    Ret Paladin
    Fury Warrior
    Frost DK
    Rogue
    Enh. Shaman

Which melee DPS has the best scaling / damage in 5.2?

I haven't played since just before November, so I can't answer your question, but I can give you a bump. I'm interested in case I decide to come back.

I think Rogue/War/DK are the more solid melee dps currently. Rogue is maybe a bit stronger right now.
    Don't know for Rogue and DK scaling, but the scaling of warriors should be pretty amazing.
    Last edited by Senen; 2013-01-24 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    I think Rogue/War/DK are the more solid melee dps currently.
    Don't know for Rogue and DK scaling, but the scaling of warriors should be pretty amazing.
    I heard classes that scale primarily with Crit become insane with ilvl inflation (see Fire mages). Is this the case for Fury warriors?

I'm going to have to say Fury warrior is your best bet. After that I'd go with DK.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    I heard classes that scale primarily with Crit become insane with ilvl inflation (see Fire mages). Is this the case for Fury warriors?
    Not only Fury warriors scale with Crit, but their mastery has a strong synergy with crit (crit makes you enrage, mastery increases damages done while enraged.) Warriors are historically one of the class that scales the most with gear (especially with their weapons) and I'm afraid it could be even worse in MoP.

Yeah, you guys just forget about Windwalker. See you in 5.2. *evil laugh*

Quote Originally Posted by Vishiz View Post
    Yeah, you guys just forget about Windwalker. See you in 5.2. *evil laugh*
    Right now, they are a bit behind Rogue/DK/Warrior. Are you going to recieve some love in 5.2? (Didn't look at PTR for class I don't play, so I really have no idea. ^^)

Fury warrior will still have first place for melee dps, after i'd say frost DK.

Right now as far as single target dps goes, we're one of the highest specs. Any downtime severely effects that number and we suck on cleave fights. Just so happens that most fights has some kind of gimmick that plays well to other classes, whether it be a cleave or a bug

In 5.2 we're looking at a ~30% damage increase in single target and on top of that Storm, Earth, and Fire will be a 20% damage gain on two targets and 35% on three.

5.1 - We look good on dummy, not in practice. No cleave. Good AoE
    5.2 - We look godly on dummy, good in practice. Good cleave. Great AoE

We'll be one of the best specs period in 5.2.

PvP we will likely be FotM due to Ring of Peace and Nimble brew. Check em out on the PTR if you haven't already.

Just out of curiousity, why they need a "melee" dps? best bet is to arrange group to have 3 or 4 people for each token (vanquisher, conqueror, protector) and have all armor classes (cloth, leather, mail, plate) and all buffs. Taking melee over ranged while ignoring aforementioned points has no point whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Just out of curiousity, why they need a "melee" dps? best bet is to arrange group to have 3 or 4 people for each token (vanquisher, conqueror, protector) and have all armor classes (cloth, leather, mail, plate) and all buffs. Taking melee over ranged while ignoring aforementioned points has no point whatsoever.
    Also you need to take in consideration how are the fights in the new raid, I don't think they will be patchwork style.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vishiz View Post
    Right now as far as single target dps goes, we're one of the highest specs. Any downtime severely effects that number and we suck on cleave fights. Just so happens that most fights has some kind of gimmick that plays well to other classes, whether it be a cleave or a bug

In 5.2 we're looking at a ~30% damage increase in single target and on top of that Storm, Earth, and Fire will be a 20% damage gain on two targets and 35% on three.

5.1 - We look good on dummy, not in practice. No cleave. Good AoE
    5.2 - We look godly on dummy, good in practice. Good cleave. Great AoE

We'll be one of the best specs period in 5.2.

PvP we will likely be FotM due to Ring of Peace and Nimble brew. Check em out on the PTR if you haven't already.
    Wait what? Are windwalkers receiving a 30% single target buff in 5.2?

Fury warrior or forst dk, idd.

Deleted
    this thread is rather pointless, considering that blizz isnt even finished with tweaking stuff and the fact that it hasnt gone live yet but from the current patch notes, windwalkers certainly look decent, but we also know that blizz will hit them massively with the nerf bat should they proove themselves to be too good, so i would say, wait until they mention the release date of 5.2 b4 taking any of the current changes seriously and then ask this question.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would go Fury, Frost then Rogue in that order. They all scale damn well with gear compared to say a ret pally or enh sham.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    I would go Fury, Frost then Rogue in that order. They all scale damn well with gear compared to say a ret pally or enh sham.
    Im not entirely sure you're right, seeing as how our enh shammy, while bad on cleave fights, if he gets to go all out on single target he beats our frost DK and well, almost anyone in the raid atm (and we're not a bunch of sillies getting carried by him)
    Kunglight of Fractured - EU Twisting Nether
    Current progress 12/12 NM 1/12 HC

Quote Originally Posted by Mew View Post
    Wait what? Are windwalkers receiving a 30% single target buff in 5.2?
    Yeah that was my thought - if that's the case go windwalker. Should be easily the best melee then damage wise.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2013-01-24 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Yeah that was my thought - if that's the case go windwalker. Should be easily the best melee then damage wise.
    If that was the case, they'd be the best dps period. By a stupid margin too, more than 10% ahead of the current best of the best.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

As Reyzz said above, the best melee class for YOUR RAID GROUP has to take into consideration what your raid group composition already is. If you're joining a group with two pallies, two priests and a warlock, then bringing a ret pally would make your tier gearing lag significantly. If your raid group is missing a buff unless the hunter brings a specific non-optimal pet then that hunter will love you if you bring a class that grants that buff. If you have a tank or healer that tends to disappear for a week or two at a time, then bringing a class that can develop a viable offspec will keep your raid leader from having to drink too heavily. If you don't have an agility leather wearer in the group already, bringing the rogue, windwalker or drood will keep the raid from having to shard perfectly nice drops.

Tell us the rest of your group composition before asking which one is best. This is a team game; the best class is the one that fits best into your particular team's structure.