Router Advice Part 2

Hello community, for all those people that helped me in my previous thread i have now found a router! Now i need help again, as i have no clue what to buy for my Desktop to connect to the new router. Can i use my router to connect to my wireless modem connection? Not sure on what i need to complete the set up.

Thank in advance for the help.

What exactly do you mean with wireless modem? Which router did you get?
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-01-24 at 02:03 PM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

As in, modem can produces wireless network. so a modem router, i think

Quote Originally Posted by HungryHippo View Post
    As in, modem can produces wireless network. so a modem router, i think
    Can you give us the name of it? Like brand and model
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Can you give us the name of it? Like brand and model
    Thomson TG782T is the brand of my modem router, and i was wondering if it would be possible to connect to it via a wireless router //http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_1438&products_id=20373// isq the router i ended up buying

You should be able to just put a ethernet cable between them. Connect it to any port on them modem and then the blue port on that router.

You should be able to just put a ethernet cable between them. Connect it to any port on them modem and then the blue port on that router.
    But then what do i need to conect my PC to that wireless conection? is what i was intially trying to ask. Or if i could have used the router to tap into the existing wireless connection. as my Desktop and Router are on opposite ends of the house?

But then what do i need to conect my PC to that wireless conection? is what i was intially trying to ask. Or if i could have used the router to tap into the existing wireless connection. as my Desktop and Router are on opposite ends of the house?
    Well, a wireless network card in your computer would be the standard solution.
    Now I'm confused about the whole purpose of you buying a router in the first place.

Seems like you want to do something like this:

Modem <Wifi> Router---<cable>---PC?

Well, a wireless network card in your computer would be the standard solution.
    Now I'm confused about the whole purpose of you buying a router in the first place.

Seems like you want to do something like this:

Modem <Wifi> Router---<cable>---PC?
    Brought a router as my standard TG is shit @ allocating bandwith and i didnt know the name of the part i needed to recieve the actualy signal lol, bit new when it comes to routers/networking.

So i need a network card? are they also know as network adapters cause thats all i can see from the site i normally buy from?

looking @ something like this //http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_328&products_id=7823//
    Last edited by HungryHippo; 2013-01-24 at 04:00 PM.

Brought a router as my standard TG is shit @ allocating bandwith and i didnt know the name of the part i needed to recieve the actualy signal lol, bit new when it comes to routers/networking.

So i need a network card? are they also know as network adapters cause thats all i can see from the site i normally buy from?

looking @ something like this //http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_328&products_id=7823//
    How are you connected to the router today? I'm still a bit confused about this.

How do i connect to a wireless network vIa a desktop? Do i need to buy a network card? And if i do is the one i linked before decent?

Also before i was using a computer that was wired cia ethernet to the modem the computer i want to connect is an enitrely different machine.

How do i connect to a wireless network vIa a desktop? Do i need to buy a network card? And if i do is the one i linked before decent?
    Hold on, you haven't told me how you are connected today, I have a feeling you already have a wireless network card already.

No i dont, currently using ethernet on my #1 computer to use the forums where i want to connect my #2 computer which is in my room, which was why i was asking how i could connect it as it seems i initially though the wirless router would do this for me but it seems i was mistaken and should have brought a network adapter correct?

Yes, you need a wireless network card for your second computer then.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or alternatively a USB connector, but most of the time that has a worse transfer rate and connection than a card.
    The cost for both is negligible (sub $30)

I doubt it's an issue nowadays but be sure that the card you get is capable of receiving 802.11b,g and n. And that the PC you want to connect to the WLAN has a free PCI slot.