New billing option for SWTOR

Originally Posted by SWTOR
    The Old Republic™ adds a new billing option!

BioWare and LucasArts are excited to announce that, starting today, Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is offering SMS billing in a limited number of countries through BOKU. The SMS billing option is now available in the following countries: Germany, France, Taiwan, South Korea, Brazil, Turkey, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Hungary, Spain, Australia, and The Netherlands.

SMS billing can only be used to purchase 450 Cartel Coins at this time. Carrier fees may be added to this purchase. Cartel Coins are a virtual currency used in the in-game Cartel Market to purchase gear, boosts and special value items. Visit the online store to purchase Cartel Coins.

We will look for opportunities to expand to other countries as SMS billing or other services become available, and will continue to explore additional billing options that offer value and convenience to our players globally.

(Source)

I don't personally see how this is going to be of great use.

Mobile Markets are expanding rapidly, but they're not as big for the MMO Genre, because you're unable to (currently) play them on your Mobile. The World of Warcraft Phone App is a prime example, where it is a great tool, but most people just leave it on, probably unaware.

I don't understand this move when I doubt many would take advantage of this system. Also, payments via Phones are always a little more difficult to manage, because anyone could access the phone, whereas a Desktop or Laptop is typically much harder to get your hands on.

Only time will tell, but I don't see this being a huge success for them.

Well I know there have been a few people wanting something like this to pay the sub (iirc Paypal isn't allowed in some countries or something) for people that the other methods don't work. Right now it is just the Cartel Market, but I think if it goes well and works smoothly they might expand it to be able to pay the subs through this method.

Deleted
    SMS billing is very popular in Europe and South America. If they extend the options to full sub payment etc, they could see big increase in profit.

Only the bad thing about is that the pack of 450 Cartel Coins is 2 Euro's more expensive when you use SMS billing then CC or paypall. If they want to make good use of this type of payment make it equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I don't personally see how this is going to be of great use.

Mobile Markets are expanding rapidly, but they're not as big for the MMO Genre, because you're unable to (currently) play them on your Mobile. The World of Warcraft Phone App is a prime example, where it is a great tool, but most people just leave it on, probably unaware.

I don't understand this move when I doubt many would take advantage of this system. Also, payments via Phones are always a little more difficult to manage, because anyone could access the phone, whereas a Desktop or Laptop is typically much harder to get your hands on.

Only time will tell, but I don't see this being a huge success for them.

Whilst this may be written in good English. None of this make any sense and just looks like a string of various sentences regarding something completely different. Can you please try and explain to me why SMS payment is difficult to manage?

O.T. I think its a cool idea. Wouldn't use it myself, but I can see how perhaps younger people using pay as you go mobiles might use this, or perhaps an easy way to gift someone 450 Cartel coins maybe.

another reason to guard your mobile with your life ..

I find this to be a great idea (not that I will use it myself). But people tend to take a SMS for 'content' lighter. "Ooh, it's just sending a text-message, and that's it, barely noticeable". And I am sure a lot of kids (12-16) will use this method for sure.

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stresskiller View Post
    another reason to guard your mobile with your life ..
    Yeah, I think that should count for in General. As a lot of online-games take on the paying-through-SMS. Especially small web-browser games (take Habbo Hotel or Runescape for an example). I've read and heard stories about children taking their parents mobile phone and use that to get Habbo Coins or a Subscription on Runescape.

Honestly... it might just be because I am old and crap, but SMS transactions have always bothered me on some fundamental level I can never quite put my finger one. Somehow it just feels wrong to me. However, it is something that does seem to be gaining popularity in the states for a variety of reasons (think of all the donating of money with SMS) and like was mentioned it's been popular in Europe for while. I personally can imagine ever using one though... but then I thought I would never be on twitter either ><

I think it would be great if they'd expand it to subscriptions as well. There are a hugh amount of people not having a credit card/ not going via paypal and because of this just dropping the game. The easier the access, the higher the chance of getting people into the game.