Critique Me Please

hello everyone!

I've been playing a resto druid this tier, but switched to a disc priest last night in order to help even out my raid on tier tokens a bit more. Given that I'm new to this class and spec, I need help. Here is a log from last night, and anything you see that I should be doing better or watching closely, I'm wide open to hearing. Don't worry about being harsh, I can take it.

One thing someone mentioned to me was that I wasn't using "heal." I was equating this to a Druid's nourish and barely touching it. Is that a safe comparison, or should I be making more use of it? Also, my uptime on 5 stacks of atonement healing is terrible, and I know I should improve that. Outside of these things, I welcome any additional input.

worldoflogs.com/reports/8xanvy208ryrjao1/

Armory:

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lothar/Executrix/advanced

Also, please ignore blade lord, I didn't heal that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ryeland; 2013-01-24 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Including armory information

I would be nice to see your character profile to critique gear and reforges etc

Couple of quick suggestions

(1) dont use gylph of PW:Shield it is terrible - I would recommend holy fire, smite and penance but it depends on the fight
    (2) I replace the "heal" spell with "smite" basically any time you don't have to be healing someone you should be atonement healing in 10 man. The additional healing and dps is always useful and it is a smart heal and heals for more than "heal"
    (3) I don't see you using any of your lvl 90 talents - cascade is usually quite good on more fights (especially fights like galaron).
    (4) use shields for rapture and SS for big incoming raid wide damage (i.e. force and verve)
    (5) If you use atonement a lot (like me) I like FDCL talent the free flash heals can be quick handy and disc doesn't usually have any trouble with mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Markle View Post
    I would be nice to see your character profile to critique gear and reforges etc
    Great point, I've updated my main post to have the armory information.

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lothar/Executrix/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Markle View Post
    (4) use shields for rapture and SS for big incoming raid wide damage (i.e. force and verve)
    Just so I'm clear, you're saying PW: Shield should really only be used on rapture's CD and that's pretty much it? I have a weak aura tracking this, but on Wind Lord for instance, I was shielding my tank every time weakened soul dropped off (we one tank that fight).

And yeah, I haven't been atonement healing much given that I'm playing gear catch up a bit (most of my raid is 486-492, I was 477 until last night). I do love it, but wasn't sure I'd get the output in a raid environment I'd need? If I can, well shoot, I'm happy to do that.

Thanks for your input!

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 01:38 AM ----------

Just one bump for more input. I'll leave it alone after this.
    Last edited by Ryeland; 2013-01-24 at 07:06 PM.

Deleted
    Yes dude, you should basically use PWS on each rapture CD (make sure it will get absorbed). Blanketing raid with PWS is not viable option atm.

I would really not use FDCL, flash is a loss of GCD, even if its free. Get bender = you can POM more.

I cant see a logic behind your reforges (10 refs on your gear are bad). Simply Spirit>Mastery>Crit (if you do atonement really a lot Spirit>Crit>Mastery but pve is moreless about waiting before huge boom so I find mastery much better way to go. Esp in 10 mans. ReforgeLite is very handy addon which will help you to find best way how to adjust your stats (even if it is not that needed for disco as you have no caps to worry about) Gems are just fine, youre missing enchant on cloak.

Keep in mind that as a disco you are only effective in preventing damage - so you need to make sure you do know the fight well or you keep an eye on timers, so you can blanket the raid when needed.

GLHF !

Quote Originally Posted by Ysoph View Post
    I cant see a logic behind your reforges (10 refs on your gear are bad). Simply Spirit>Mastery>Crit (if you do atonement really a lot Spirit>Crit>Mastery but pve is moreless about waiting before huge boom so I find mastery much better way to go. Esp in 10 mans. ReforgeLite is very handy addon which will help you to find best way how to adjust your stats (even if it is not that needed for disco as you have no caps to worry about) Gems are just fine, youre missing enchant on cloak.
    Thanks for the feedback!

The cloak is newly obtained, haven't gotten the enchant yet, but it should be in my mailbox when I next log in.

As for the reforging... my understanding is that mastery is only > than crit when 60% of your totally healing/prevention is from absorbs. Otherwise, Crit rules the day. This is what Askmrrobot tells me anyway. I also read some math by Adinne (http://plusheal.com/forum/post/last/...r-spirit-shell) in this post that made me kind of agree with the crit generally > mastery thing. Finally, in 5.2, it looks like mastery is no longer going to help out SS.