10+ Year Old Account

Akasa AK-450 thermal paste.

Hey again all.
    Still waiting on my parts to arrive for my first PC build, but I've already had the CPU (I5 3570K) arrive today. I noticed though it arrived with the thermal paste already applied to the stock cooler, rather than the thermal paste in an applicator. Which is a pain in the ass as I've ordered a CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler.

Now I've just found some Akasa AK-450 thermal paste that was given to me with the PC that I previously had.
    Just wanna know is this a good reliable thermal paste?
    Also online it's been suggested to apply this using the card to evenly spread it method. But these suggestions were not in the last couple of years.
    Reading normally I've assumed the pea or the cross method spreads better. But is this the case for this paste?
    If its not a good paste, then I shall order a different one, that's already been recommended in these forums.

Thanks in advance!
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Deleted
    Thermal paste should be included with the cooler. Sorry if it doesn't answer your question directly. There are a few tests which actually use the paste included with the Evo cooler and they show good results. In terms of recommendations, I'm a little out of the thermal paste game I'm afraid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah brilliant thanks! Saves me risking using this stuff I have then that's been sat in a spare parts box for 6 months hehe
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

10+ Year Old Account
    99% of thermal pastes perform within about 99% of eachother. I just asked the same recently myself, since I was a fan of Arctic Silver, and it turns out that there isnt a huge difference between them. But yeah, most coolers come with their own stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah cheers Chazus! So I guess it's down to whichever spreads better, as I heard the arctic one doesn't so well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I used Arctic Silver for years, and was pretty happy with it. That might have changed, but it might also be an experience thing. When you're using the stuff 5-10 times a day, you might not notice that it's 'difficult'.

To be honest, as long as you get the right amount in the middle, it ought to spread properly enough. There is no exact form/design that works better. At the end of the day, your pressing an extremely flat metal surface with microscopic crates and imperfections, against another flat metal surface of the same. It will spread out accordingly, no matter how aesthetically pleasing your application is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah that's all good. Thanks again.