Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    One of the main reasons I stopped WoW - not a single friend plays since end of WotLK.
    All of my friends still play WoW, but I currently play Rift. My anecdotal evidence is the opposite of yours. All this says is that we are never going to pinpoint a reason why we play what we do. A lot of it is obviously attachment over time. It could also be labeled addiction...idk.

I think Mists is the greatest the game has been since TBC, but I'm not currently playing it. I wanted a fresh start, new experiences, and Rift has that for me right now. Will it keep me past my 6 months sub? Depends on if the game still has the 'wow factor' (no pun intended) when that time comes.

This thread hasn't comlpetely devolved yet, but starting what amounts to a direct comparison thread was probably not a good idea. I'm surprised it didn't get locked immediately.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    I actually skipped most of Cata for Rift.
    Raided the first couple of Tiers in Rift as a Cleric (Healer, DPS & eventually tank)
    I stopped playing Rift after we killed Akylos pre-nerf for the following reasons:

1. If you enjoy playing classes with complex rotations then Rift will make you cry.
    Ramming the same macro in a raid environment only entertained me for so long.
    My Fury warrior has 30'ish keybinds, my Rift Cleric had maybe 10?

2. Healing in Rift is just bad. It requires zero thinking, zero skill and a ton of spamming.
    The whole 'icar thing ruined half most of the game.

3. The differences between classes on the meters were WAY to big.
    I'm not going to tell you that WoW is great but Rift was a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    Bought it, played at release, but I just found it too hard at beginning and very unforgiving. Can't solo a s**t.
    This has changed. Rift's used to be group content, but they can now be soloed. There are Major Rifts, Great Hunt Rifts and Raid Rifts for those that want the group aspect, but pretty much, if you want to quest solo from 1-60 you can.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    He is kind of right though... whether its your opinion or not WoW is the better game. There is a reason why people are STILL playing it over rift, even if it is for reasons you don't agree with. And I don't even like WoW anymore, but I'm not ignorant to the fact that it is one of the best games of all time.
    Opinions are opinions, which is why game vs game threads typically are locked immediately.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Ok so yea, the title is a little misleading (really just trying to call attention to a great game that really does give WoW a run for it's money, and I'm not even subbed to either atm) but it's a solid question.

If anyone has played Rift and given it some actual playtime and not get to level 10 and quit they know (relative to WoW) that Rift is a pretty damn solid game, but there's a tiny fraction of players in Rift compared to WoW and it got me wondering why exactly? I not saying Rift would be better with 8m subs or the community wouldn't become a cesspool like WoW but Trion really has a great game on their hand that deserves to get a lot more attention than it does.

So the real question is this: If you have ever played WoW and Rift, why (if you are obviously) are you subbed to WoW over Rift? What do you think WoW does "better" outside of really fluid animations?

At the time i played rift, and was done with PVE and went to pvp, rift pvp sucked wow was more fluid.

I quit rift later because pvp sucked at the time and because all my firends were still on wow :X

Rift starts off fresh and new but gets dull very quickly. Not to mention everyone uses nearly the same build at max level. The game just becomes bland.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the people making comments about animations, about mob difficulty and "everquest" difficulty of mobs,
    give Rift v2.1 a try. Things have changed a lot since v1 or even v1.6 - game is completely different. Not to mention the number of things added to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I'll get infracted and possibly banned for this one, but that is the most blatant fanboy comment I have ever seen. To simply think WoW is better than Rift, you really do have a blind eye, don't you? I understand time investment issues, but you definitely made me laugh for the day.

Oh, and this response isn't a fanboy response because of Rift, as I said I'm not subbed to either.
    Which is better is an opinion and you telling him his is worse than him stating his. Especially in a thread where he was asked to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Rift starts off fresh and new but gets dull very quickly. Not to mention everyone uses nearly the same build at max level. The game just becomes bland.
    He He. Bit of a silly statement.
    This is always the case in the top end guilds in any mmo. One or two or three builds will always be better (for example, three or so "top" rogue dps builds at the moment). The option for customization and experimentation is still there, however.

Quote Originally Posted by trizzjeeuh View Post
    Raided the first couple of Tiers in Rift as a Cleric (Healer, DPS & eventually tank)
    I stopped playing Rift after we killed Akylos pre-nerf for the following reasons:

1. If you enjoy playing classes with complex rotations then Rift will make you cry.

2. Healing in Rift is just bad. It requires zero thinking, zero skill and a ton of spamming.

Ha! Your experience was a LOT like mine!!!

Additions:

Horrible Lore
    Inferior Animations (especially Warriors)
    ONE BUTTON MACRO HEROES
    Rep Grind (From what I hear, changes made in vanilla Rift were reverted in SL, which is now many magnitudes WORSE than MoP rep grind)
    Boring gear design

I will say, I will always LOVE Rift for one thing...Blizzard stealing AoE Looting!!!! Now we just need WoW to steal the special quest item storage space.

Just as an FYI, I played Rift MORE than Cata because Cata was THAT bad...

I really love RIFT, but all my friend are playing wow atm.
    Ghostcrawler is gone, time to celebrate!

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't play rift because it just seemed to much like a WoW clone to me and wasn't as fun for me to play.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trizzjeeuh View Post

Mostly all changed by Rift v1.11

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    Ha! Your experience was a LOT like mine!!!

Additions:

Horrible Lore
    Inferior Animations (especially Warriors)
    ONE BUTTON MACRO HEROES
    Rep Grind (From what I hear, changes made in vanilla Rift were reverted in SL, which is now many magnitudes WORSE than MoP rep grind)
    Boring gear design

I will say, I will always LOVE Rift for one thing...Blizzard stealing AoE Looting!!!! Now we just need WoW to steal the special quest item storage space.

Just as an FYI, I played Rift MORE than Cata because Cata was THAT bad...
    With all due respect, you are out of touch with the game.

Lore is great.
    Animations are much better than they used to be.
    One-button macro's improved to a degree.
    Rep Grind is not hard at all - most faction items are BoA as well, so rep grind for alts is easy. Infinitely more ways to grind rep than other mmo's as well.
    Boring Gear design - what did you play? Beta???

Yes... yes... I am a fan of Rift, but not a biased one, however I must say... it's pretty damn hard to not love the game.

---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 11:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    I don't play rift because it just seemed to much like a WoW clone to me and wasn't as fun for me to play.
    Rift is for people who enjoyed WoW, got bored or disappointed, but want something fresh and different. Can't argue there. It's why I started playing the Beta.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-01-24 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Rep Grind is not hard at all - most faction items are BoA as well, so rep grind for alts is easy. Infinitely more ways to grind rep than other mmo's as well.
    Really? Where are these infinite ways? Especially with Torvan? GHunts, that's about it. How does 1=infinity? Even with the other ones you have dailies, IA and fishing. 3 ways. That sounds nowhere near infinitely to me. I mean I know you love the game and all, so do I, but let's not flat out lie.

rift is a very solid game, sure. i really enjoyed soul system at the beginning, but trion slowly started to kill hybrids patch after patch. gone through 2.0, found it even more boring (51/15 was the SPECC about 90% of the time...) and really unfriendly towards casual players (spending three hours in random NORMAL dungeon wipin' is not my idea of fun). and yeah... grind. grind. grind. grind. so i'm back to wow for now. not for long though, as i somehow find mop pretty much worse than cata in every single point (more grind, stupidly easy dungeons, stupidly easy lfr, boring questlines, bornig factions)... guess i give tor another chance, still have few storylines open.
    somehow i'm still here... stalking around since... well 2006 or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift just doesn't strike my interest, All i can say honestly
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's best to shut this down since it will only end in game vs game discussions which aren't allowed.