Thread: Which one?

10+ Year Old Account
    They sort of serve two purposes. Can you build a system? The desktop would be better for home gaming, but is still a bit pricy for its specs. What do you do? What is your budget?

10+ Year Old Account
    the G73 is a 3 generation old platform with tons of overheating issues, between the two, get the desktop

10+ Year Old Account
    I second Cyanotical on the overheating issues part, nothing is worse than a toasty lap hehe

Between those 2 choices I would definitely go for the Desktop.

Can you build your own system? You can get better specs with that kind of a budget if you go DIY.
    ~Don't just rage the day away, try new things!~
    Warcraft: Shando - <FoE> - 110 Druid - Turalyon-US
    http://foeturalyon.enjin.com <Foe> Website, check us out!
    http://www.twitch.tv/shandi235 live stream my guild's raids, other stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    I would opt to do the DIY way as well, there's plenty of videos online and step by step guides to help you throughout. That's what I'm following to build mine and the wifes. I'm a first time builder and from looking at the videos. Looks very easy...Like playing with expensive Legos.

Budget is $900-1250. I have no experience with building a system but someone did offer to build one for me if I purchased the parts.

What do you guys recommend (in regards to building your own system)?

Will primarily be used for WoW, Skyrim, writing papers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you need a monitor, OS (Operating System: Win 7/8), keyboard, mouse, or any other peripherals?

Quote Originally Posted by acarleescryers View Post
    Do you need a monitor, OS (Operating System: Win 7/8), keyboard, mouse, or any other peripherals?
    Yes. Only computer I have atm is a 3 year old Asus laptop w/win 7, ms office 2007 and a mouse.

Prefer to stick with win 7 but it's not mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Budget is $900-1250. I have no experience with building a system but someone did offer to build one for me if I purchased the parts.

What do you guys recommend (in regards to building your own system)?

Will primarily be used for WoW, Skyrim, writing papers.
    just built a comp for the first time. I had a lot of hiccups along the way, and it took me a few days, and another week of shipping because I f-ed it up myself. I'd 2nd the thought of watching a few videos. NewEgg videos are pretty top notch in terms of covering all the basics. You'll be able to get much more bang for your buck on a build-your-own-system. I'd especially consider it if you have a friend that will build it or help you build it, especially if they have a lot of experience. If you choose the have a friend build it, I'd sit in and watch and help whenever so you'll get a good grasp of the project so that the next time, it won't be quite so intimidating. Add that, but doing a little bit or parts, it will make it that much easier to do-it-yourself next time, or just to add a couple of extra Ram sticks or a better video card down the road.

Deleted
    Gaming laptops are, for now, a niche/specialty. I grasp the concept but it is something which you use for mobility in home. You don't want to travel far with such a laptop. They're bulky/heavy and large. It isn't fun to carry such a thing while commuting to work/school, or while traveling. On the other hand, it is also much more powerful than your average laptop.

Since you already have a laptop for productivity keep your current laptop for normal tasks and build (or buy) a desktop specifically for gaming. If you buy your own you're saving yourself Windows 7 OEM price. You know what I mean here. Windows 8 isn't worth it, its the new Vista. I would also opt for a SSD, and host my data elsewhere (say, on a NAS). Then you install your games on your SSD. If you don't play them, you move them to your NAS. I do this on my 256 GB SSD and I have about 7 recent games plus Windows 7 installed.

Personally, I am interesting in Valve's new gaming console due to be released in 2013.

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.98 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($134.00 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($33.69 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1167.49
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 19:03 EST-0500)

My crack at your build. Probably wrong in some areas, since I'm still learning about PC building and what not. Price might be a little higher if there's not a Microcenter located near you.

Thanks, you guys are really helpful. Acarlee thanks for the parts list; I'll give it a good once over.

@ lolalola yeah...win 8 >.< played around w/it in a best buy a few months ago and wasn't impressed, you'd think windows would have learned their lesson from vista...

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't include speakers or a mousepad, I think that's more based off your wants and needs. I could give you suggestions though. Personally I use the Razer Vespula Gaming Mouse pad ($26-35). Gives me great wrist support as I play WoW or any other game. Really recommend anything from Razor though, great great mousepads. For speakers, I use Logitech S120 ($12-15). Nothing special really with them, I just want to listen to my music and movies. :P

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.98 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($40.00 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($35.05 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1187.42
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-25 10:06 EST-0500)

Made some changes to get everything included in the budget without using MicroCenter, if you have a MicroCenter near you then by all means get the CPU+Motherboard from there ($40 off when bought together). Case support front USB 3.0, CPU heat sink is slightly better/quieter out of the box. Fit in a better/bigger monitor.

As for building it yourself, take your time and double everything, fit the motherboard on the standoffs, attach the CPU heat sink before installing in the case...

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 1 - Choosing Your Components
    Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build
    Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches

Or these videos from ASUS, showing you how to:

ASUS How-To - Get Started Building a PC
    ASUS How-To - Install Inside the Case
    ASUS How-To - Install CPU, CPU Fan, & Memory
    ASUS How-To - Cable Management

PcPartpicker also made a decent video building a budget PC:

Budget Gaming Build

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Thanks, you guys are really helpful. Acarlee thanks for the parts list; I'll give it a good once over.

@ lolalola yeah...win 8 >.< played around w/it in a best buy a few months ago and wasn't impressed, you'd think windows would have learned their lesson from vista...
    once you start getting used to it, windows 8 isn't too bad, a lot of people say it's a little more efficient than 7, but IDK, it's definitely different.
    The only thing I'd change from NoTarget's list, go with a 256gb-ish ssd. 128gb are pretty cheap, but in terms of storage, and depending what you play and how you play, a 128 can be extremely limiting.

For example, on my current system, just built a couple of days ago: Win 8 pro, SWTOR, GW2, Assassins Creed 3, plus some small misc programs = 115gb. Or in other words, your 128 ssd would pretty much be maxxed out quickly. If you play a couple of MMO's especially, they take up a lot of space, just think how much WoW will take up since it's on expansion 4, and version 5.2? It could take up a third of your ssd just with WoW.

Here's the 256gb version of NoTarget's 128 crucial m4, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial...ve-ct256m4ssd2 basically about $60 more for twice the storage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a heads up regarding Windows 8.

It is currently available for $15, until Jan 31st, so if you plan on getting it, get it NOW, build system later. I just installed it on a laptop, and if you feel it's too strange (I certainly did), just install something like Shell Classic or Start8 UI modifiers and it will function pretty much just like Win7, but. well.. cheaper. I will probably be buying a few more licenses just to have on hand.

Deleted
    I can confirm 128 GB SSD won't allow you to install many games. It is what I previously used. However if you have a NAS you can move game installs you don't use to/from it. In such a case, I can see someone coping with a 128 GB SSD.

As for Windows 8, there's anecdotes where people also couldn't get used to it. In the Windows market share it has 5%, and this includes tablets. Its like GNOME 3 and Windows Phone. People don't like it, for various good reasons. At the very least it needs polish just like Vista required that (Windows 7 is the polished version of Windows Vista). Why put effort in modifying your Windows 8 to behave like Windows 7 when Windows 7 itself works perfectly fine and you know Windows 8 is the first iteration of the "mobile Windows version" (mobile here refers to allowing Windows to be installed and used on tablets as well as desktop).