Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why aren't you playing Rift?

Ok so yea, the title is a little misleading (really just trying to call attention to a great game that really does give WoW a run for it's money, and I'm not even subbed to either atm) but it's a solid question.

If anyone has played Rift and given it some actual playtime and not get to level 10 and quit they know (relative to WoW) that Rift is a pretty damn solid game, but there's a tiny fraction of players in Rift compared to WoW and it got me wondering why exactly? I not saying Rift would be better with 8m subs or the community wouldn't become a cesspool like WoW but Trion really has a great game on their hand that deserves to get a lot more attention than it does.

So the real question is this: If you have ever played WoW and Rift, why (if you are obviously) are you subbed to WoW over Rift? What do you think WoW does "better" outside of really fluid animations?

several reasons.

i have a lot of work in WoW. close to 11k achie points and lots of mounts to choose from.
    WoW has been paid for.
    bigger playerbase

i am not saying rift is a bad game. i did the trial. even the second trial when i could lvl to 20.
    how quests is done is great and all. i really liked it.
    it is just i did not like to pay for a new game at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played Rift back in the day and got to level 50, but I've invested so much time on my WoW character, I can't just leave behind so much effort.

I also find the lore in WoW much more appealing, probably because I'm a long time Warcraft player :P

Don't get me wrong, Rift is a great game, and the amount of customization the class trees offer is great, but it doesn't attract me as much as WoW has done for almost 10 years.

I played at release and then again after a few months. Visually stunning game. I don't play it because I don't have any friends that play there and I'm really not inclined to start all over, so to speak. Very good game though.

Not much interest to play Rift...

Bought it, played at release, but I just found it too hard at beginning and very unforgiving. Can't solo a s**t.

I have too much in WoW tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert View Post
    I played Rift back in the day and got to level 50, but I've invested so much time on my WoW character, I can't just leave behind so much effort.

I also find the lore in WoW much more appealing, probably because I'm a long time Warcraft player :P

Don't get me wrong, Rift is a great game, and the amount of customization the class trees offer is great, but it doesn't attract me as much as WoW has done for almost 10 years.
    This almost exactly. I feel like the lore is so much richer (which obviously it is after how long the WC story has been out) than Rift. It's hard for me to just jump into another MMO where I don't have any sort of emotional attachment for the characters.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    wow is better. simple

So almost everyone's reason is almost purely because of the time investment in WoW? Sadly, that's what I think my problem was with WoW and why I couldn't quit it. Played since closed beta, played launch and everything. I guess for me, there just came a time where the game wasn't the "game" I was used to playing or something and moved to Rift.

Deleted
    I don't like the feel of Rift's engine.

My computer couldn't handle the grpahics very well. I think I left my 54 Mage there; I have a way better computer now tho, and I'm looking into subbing again... but previously.... bad computer wasn't making my game quite enjoyale. 20 man raids were a killer for my pc.
    ]
    I find it a "way better game" than WoW, but I don't have in Rift what I have in WoW, in terms of investment, friends, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by arkadeus View Post
    wow is better. simple
    I'll get infracted and possibly banned for this one, but that is the most blatant fanboy comment I have ever seen. To simply think WoW is better than Rift, you really do have a blind eye, don't you? I understand time investment issues, but you definitely made me laugh for the day.

Oh, and this response isn't a fanboy response because of Rift, as I said I'm not subbed to either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfoundead View Post
    Animations aren't as smooth as WoW's... then again no MMO's animations are.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO's are more than about "what's better" or "what looks prettier"

I've scratched my head over this for quite a bit.

It comes done to the fact that a lot of mmo people seem to invest time in their character's, their achievements, instead of the time they invested in fun. I play what I enjoy and even if I have 12~14 wow characters, when I found something I found more entertaining, I ditched them and moved on.

The social aspect of the game is strong too. They play what their friends play.

One of the main reasons I stopped WoW - not a single friend plays since end of WotLK.

Also, a bit of a harsh point, which you can't "really" blame Trion for - on release, v1 was not as good as WoW. It lacked a few things. It still won me over as my preferred mmo, but many people tried it, found a very polished product, but it lacked many features that WoW had at that time.

Of course, the difference between 2.1 and 1.0 is night and day with Rift arguably having superseded the features of WoW, but people still remember Rift v1.0 and now Trion is going to have to fight to get them to try it again.

Rift's numbers have been steadily increasing from my experience, however. Certainly no shortage of players on my server, nor is there a shortage of things to do.

I, personally, just couldn't ever go back to WoW after playing Rift. It's just that good, in my opinion. I would miss too many things from Rift.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-01-24 at 09:46 PM.

Deleted
    Before I continue bear in mind that this is my personal opinion. I'm not saying these are facts nor do I want people to agree with me.

I don't play Rift because it looks horrible and the playable characters are very woody. Now graphics isn't something I really care about but I do want my own character to move a little bit realistically. The talent system doesn't interest me either and quite frankly I find the whole 3 different class-like trees per class very weird and silly. The playable character races aren't too interesting either and neither is the story/world.

Rift might be an amazing game, but I couldn't bear to play for over 2 hours. So many little things annoyed me and it looked like a total World of Warcraft clone. It's just not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I'll get infracted and possibly banned for this one, but that is the most blatant fanboy comment I have ever seen. To simply think WoW is better than Rift, you really do have a blind eye, don't you? I understand time investment issues, but you definitely made me laugh for the day.

Oh, and this response isn't a fanboy response because of Rift, as I said I'm not subbed to either.
    People have different opinions on things. Go figure.

I love almost everything about Rift. I am max level, raiding and loving it. However, I was with the same guild in WoW since BC and I really miss them. I was recently talking to them and even though they were not planning on raiding much if at all in MoP, they have decided to start back up. It was really hard for me to make the decision to stay in Rift when I heard that. Really really hard.

I think that is the main reason people stay in WoW. It's familiar, it's what their friends play, it is not a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfoundead View Post
    Agree 100%. Animations aren't as smooth as WoW's... then again no MMO's animations are.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post

He is kind of right though... whether its your opinion or not WoW is the better game. There is a reason why people are STILL playing it over rift, even if it is for reasons you don't agree with. And I don't even like WoW anymore, but I'm not ignorant to the fact that it is one of the best games of all time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played Rift up to 25ish. And to be honest I found it kind of boring, the quests were a bit to spread apart for me. Seems like I was running from quest to quest then doing anything else. When it comes down to it, I just enjoy WoW a whole lot more.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators