Question Trinket Rankings and how they are simulating

Hello

Im interested in upgrading my trinkets so Ive been doing some research here on these forums. Ive found a lot of trinket rankings and even simulation results ranking in order which trinkets are providing more dps per spec..

What i cant figure out is, why is it when i replace my current trinket; Vision of the Predator (upgraded once) with Blossom of Pure Snow or the Shock-Charger Medallion in simcraft, both trinkets end up simulating a dps loss?

Both trinkets are ranked higher then the current one i have equipped, is it because simcraft isn't simulating the trinkets correctly or is it because the trinkets simply aren't a better combination with my current gear?

I cant post links so heres my charcter info

Spooky
    US, Quel'dorei
    Destruction

I understand that the trinkets are ranked with BiS gear.. meaning that at certain item levels these lists aren't much help except to give you an idea of how they will perform in the future with better gear? meaning in that case that you basically have to sim every trinket to know for sure whether it will be a real upgrade for you now.

If that's the case, i think that would be something useful to be included in future guides, their is so much info spread all over the place, spread over stickies and threads that aren't stickied.

What about Relic of Yu'lon and Light of the Cosmos. Int with a Int Proc is hard to beat. And Light is also a proc 20secs and a 45sec CD 44% uptime, where the other trinkets are /use 15secs and 60sec CD which is 25% uptime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necronomico View Post
    I understand that the trinkets are ranked with BiS gear.. meaning that at certain item levels these lists aren't much help except to give you an idea of how they will perform in the future with better gear? meaning in that case that you basically have to sim every trinket to know for sure whether it will be a real upgrade for you now.
    That's the silent truth about pretty much any upgrade, it's ALWAYS better to sim your current gear and see what things look like then it is to rely on BiS lists or rankings. It shouldn't be needed to be said in every guide, cause it's assumed that people will have heard this by now.

About the trinkets you mention, I can sort of imagine VotP being better. Blossom has a proc that is only half the length, even if the static INT is better, and Shock-Charger has static haste, which is not good for you if you are a Sacrifice Destro lock, even if the INT proc is decent.

But to be honest, as much as I can guess at the reasoning it's sideline commentating. I have no idea if you set up your SimC right, if you didn't accidentily change things between tests, or anything like that, so my idea is that SimC is most likely right based on that you didn't do anything wrong.

Im updating my own thread, it was user error..

So my goal was to compare trinkets, i did this by first loading my toon via the armory in simcraft, simulate then id get my results. Next is where i made my mistake and hopefully some will read this and avoid the same mistake. What i did was i loaded the same profile, went in the simulate tab, and under the command and gear area, i changed the name and the id of the trinket i wanted to switch out with the new trinket i wanted to test.. now this was covered in two different video guides in the lock forums.. what it didn't mention is that it doesn't quite work that way under one circumstance, that Ive found at least.. and that's if the previous trinket worked through a internal cool down, and the new one you wanted to sim had a on use effect! Simcraft wont give you a error or let you know that you have not told it to use the trinket, all it does is equip it, in order for you to use it appropriately you have to tell it to use it and under what conditions. If you already have a trinket equipped that has a on use effect, when you import your toon via armory in to simcraft, you will actually get a new line under actions, where it tells simcraft to use the trinket at the best possible time.

In my case, since neither my current trinkets where on use, the new trinkets simply were being equipped and not used at all during the sim. Not being very familiar with simcraft what i did to get the sim i wanted, i went to Ask Mr. Robot, updated my profile from the armory, switched out my trinket then exported the code, copied and pasted in to simcraft and simmed it. I noticed that the code had no mention of action lists.. so i don't know if that had a affect on the simulation, but under the Action Priorities List this command is present "use_item,name=blossom_of_pure_snow" letting me know that its is being used. I don't know if exporting the code from armory or mr robot makes a difference, for now it seems like the numbers are finally adding up.
    Last edited by Necronomico; 2013-01-25 at 05:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post

But to be honest, as much as I can guess at the reasoning it's sideline commentating. I have no idea if you set up your SimC right, if you didn't accidentily change things between tests, or anything like that, so my idea is that SimC is most likely right based on that you didn't do anything wrong.
    Quoting myself here for the important part, as I feared you were doing something wrong.

I'm glad you at least found out about your mistake and learnt how to correct it. Changing things in SimC should always be approoached with a healthy amount of caution, and the results scrutinized, cause you never know when you've made some basic error somewhere.

Spooky, it looks like you have everything sorted out, but I wanted to give you a link you might find helpful. (I'm from Ask Mr. Robot) We simulate every trinket for each class and spec to get the average uptime of stats you gain from procs. Some people estimate best cases, some estimate worse. We simulate to get the average. Those results are here: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/trinke...ockdestruction

Happy geeking out on a Friday
    Ask Mr. Robot Human Minion

Ty lol, unfortunately im sick with a cold so i have little choice but to geek out (The secret is i enjoy it lol)

Deleted
    I just pick 2 trinkets that have aprox. the same ICD so they line up nicely together for some big kaboom!