Deleted

Question Skill? OP? Luck? [State of Mages]

Hey all

So I haven't played WoW for 7 months, I decided to get the 10 day trial to see how MoP is and truth be told, I logged out after 10 minutes as I felt out of my depth completely and thought I would read about the new changes etc. Anyway, I have a few toons from Cata that I loved to play (I'm a PvPer), namely my Druid and Mage, which I loved to play and without sounding egoistic, I used to be pretty skilled on them! So I decided to log onto my mage, click a few of the new talent abilities and try out a BG, bearing in mind that I haven't played in a long time, let alone PvP.

I played 4 Battlegrounds just now with my Frost Mage (Level 85 and in full Cata PvP gear), and despite me trying to learn my abilities I was pretty shocked at the results. I came first with KB's in 2 BG's, and then 3rd and 4th in the following 2. I came in the top 3 with HK's each BG, and died a maximum of 3 times. I wasn't picking of targets with 1% hp etc, I was lining up kills, coordinating my CS, DF etc, and despite players being level 87+, I was holding some damn good ground against them and really pumping damage in them and killing them.

Now this has made me wonder if the state of Mages is very "buffed" at the moment, or if I was just on the ball with my gameplay. I am in NO way fishing for compliments, I am just trying to get my head around this all. Don't get me wrong, it did feel great to come back after 7 months and still be able to nail higher level classes. Another issue is me trying to choose between which class (Mage or Druid) to level to 90 for PvP, so any insight on this would be lovely

Replies are gratefully appreciated on the matter

Deleted
    There is a blue post that said mage is a little op atm in pvp and will be nerfed or at least checked soon.
    Also we received some nerfs for pvp allready. I dont rate them and cant say something about other classes.

PvP Power and Resilience from Cata PvP gear scales really well at 85. I'm not trying to suggest that mages are bad at PvP right now, but you may have a distinct advantage over players at a higher level (though they likely have much higher HP).

And I've never enjoyed druids that much, so I'm pretty biased regarding your choice of Mage vs Druid. Mages have so much win: Blink, Spellsteal, Time Warp, Alter Time, Ice Block, Invisibility, etc.

Deleted
    Most of the people in 85's BGs are either lvling or twinks.

Seeing you are in full pvp gear, you would crush any guy leveling with no pvp gear, so, no surprise that you are crushing everything in 85 BGs.. Add the fact that you are pretty "skilled" and not clueless about your mage, and you got your answer.

As for choosing which alt you wanna play, no one can know the char you'll enjoy the most, you should just pick one and lvl it to 90, lvl the second one to 90 as well in a "casual" way, and you'll be able to choose the one you enjoy the most.

Hope it helps.

As almost everyone stated already, the fact that you are a fully PVP geared 85 Mage gives you a great advantage against even an 89lvl Warrior with no PVP gear. If you level up to 89, you will be amazed when you see 85 level Rogues rip you apart in a few seconds!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamage View Post
    As almost everyone stated already, the fact that you are a fully PVP geared 85 Mage gives you a great advantage against even an 89lvl Warrior with no PVP gear. If you level up to 89, you will be amazed when you see 85 level Rogues rip you apart in a few seconds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Most of the people in 85's BGs are either lvling or twinks.

Seeing you are in full pvp gear, you would crush any guy leveling with no pvp gear, so, no surprise that you are crushing everything in 85 BGs.. Add the fact that you are pretty "skilled" and not clueless about your mage, and you got your answer.

As for choosing which alt you wanna play, no one can know the char you'll enjoy the most, you should just pick one and lvl it to 90, lvl the second one to 90 as well in a "casual" way, and you'll be able to choose the one you enjoy the most.

Hope it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato Bus View Post
    PvP Power and Resilience from Cata PvP gear scales really well at 85. I'm not trying to suggest that mages are bad at PvP right now, but you may have a distinct advantage over players at a higher level (though they likely have much higher HP).

And I've never enjoyed druids that much, so I'm pretty biased regarding your choice of Mage vs Druid. Mages have so much win: Blink, Spellsteal, Time Warp, Alter Time, Ice Block, Invisibility, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    There is a blue post that said mage is a little op atm in pvp and will be nerfed or at least checked soon.
    Also we received some nerfs for pvp allready. I dont rate them and cant say something about other classes.
    This all makes sense now ! Thanks guys