Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    16,495

    You know vanilla races are in dire need of an update..

    ... when you notice how your battle pets have better graphic quality then you do



    (pandas not included in this)

    Really, I just think when blizzard spends more time on making up to date mini pets and enemy mobs before the actual long time races, it begs the question, if they can produce races in mists that are origanal and unique, with updated models, and even its mini pets... why is it taking this long for vanilla ones?
    Last edited by Trassk; 2013-08-20 at 03:47 PM.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Mokoshne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    3,936
    the Polygons are burning my retina's. ouch!

    your pet is so cute!!! i want one
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week Can a guy and a girl ever have a truly platonic friendship?

  3. #3
    Dreadlord Rivyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hell's out house (Missouri)
    Posts
    945
    Well, some people have wanted to see their chracters age in the game.

  4. #4
    It's happening, so I guess there is not much to discuss. But I agree. Plants in MoP look better than my character.



    And the worst part of the new models are the new skeletons they require/will include. The direhorn minipet model has the direhorn skeleton, the new frog has the old frog skeleton, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Well it's good to see the keyboard activists in full effect. Doing the laziest, most asinine thing they could think of off the top of their heads and calling it justice while making no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H20
    Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

  5. #5
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    16,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra85 View Post
    the Polygons are burning my retina's. ouch!

    your pet is so cute!!! i want one
    i love when pets and mounts match skin tone!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    It's happening, so I guess there is not much to discuss. But I agree. Plants in MoP look better than my character.
    I know right . when I'm fighting mantid on my troll or orc, its just makes me cringe, killing something that looks more updated then I do.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    ... when you notice how your battle pets have better graphic quality then you do


    (pandas not included in this)

    Really, I just think when blizzard spends more time on making up to date mini pets and enemy mobs before the actual long time races, it begs the question, if they can produce races in mists that are origanal and unique, with updated models, and even its mini pets... why is it taking this long for vanilla ones?
    Enemy models often have way less emotes and animations than the full suite required to update a vanilla race.
    Vanilla races also include varying skin tones, hair/jewlery/facialhair styles, and fixing any serious clipping issues that might occur with the vast number of armor pieces, weapons and mounts.
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  7. #7
    Bloodsail Admiral g01851's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA USA
    Posts
    1,111
    They say they are working on them... as to when we'll see them, "Soon™"

    http://wowpedia.org/Soon

  8. #8
    Pandaren Monk Lemposs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,872
    Yeah thats pretty horrible

  9. #9
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    16,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Enemy models often have way less emotes and animations than the full suite required to update a vanilla race.
    Vanilla races also include varying skin tones, hair/jewlery/facialhair styles, and fixing any serious clipping issues that might occur with the vast number of armor pieces, weapons and mounts.
    I'll correct you on that, usually it seems blizzard worries far less about clipping issues then before.
    You know which race has the least clipping issues to it? Human. Because there straight up a fashion model for armor sets, making all other races that hutch over or have odd proportions have clipping issues, including worgen when they carry 2h weapons with a cape up -_-
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I'll correct you on that, usually it seems blizzard worries far less about clipping issues then before.
    You know which race has the least clipping issues to it? Human. Because there straight up a fashion model for armor sets, making all other races that hutch over or have odd proportions have clipping issues, including worgen when they carry 2h weapons with a cape up -_-
    My point was not that clipping problems don't exist, but that they have to be considered far more than with a custom modeled NPC.

    Jin'rokh, for example, never had to be tested on nether rays, carpets, and other weird mounts, or any mount at all. Nor did he have to have various shoulder checked to insure they don't blatantly stick through his head.
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  11. #11
    Immortal Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A Hunter never gives away their location
    Posts
    7,565
    Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    They say they are working on them... as to when we'll see them, "Soon™"

    http://wowpedia.org/Soon
    "Soon" probably means "lets blow smoke up their ass as long as we can until we get Titan out".

  12. #12
    The Lightbringer Mokoshne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    3,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    as long as we can until we get Titan out".
    Titan and Starcraft Ghost
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week Can a guy and a girl ever have a truly platonic friendship?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Human. Because there straight up a fashion model for armor sets, making all other races that hutch over or have odd proportions have clipping issues, including worgen when they carry 2h weapons with a cape up -_-
    I do agree that some clipping issues are just pathetic. I find it silly how some races suffer clipping issues. Your Worgen example is brilliant, because their cloaks clip with ANYTHING that goes on your back. I feel nothing but pity for Worgen protection warriors. It seems the only class that is completely unaffected by the Worgen clipping is the Rogue, only because none of their weapons go on their back. Staves, shields, and all ranged weapons demand that you hide your cloak. It even limits character choice a little - I love wearing cloaks, so on my Worgen Warlock I refuse to equip staves simply because I'd have to hide my cloak.

    I've given more examples of clipping below. Only on males, unfortunately, because I haven't played female characters to see their model faults.

    - Draenei males with long hair styles - like "Braids" - I LOVE that hairstyle, but I can't use it since it bobs in and out of my Shaman's shield EVERY time I move. I'm limited in what styles I pick because of the accursed piece of metal on my back, which I love to wield but hate because of this.

    - Most Night Elf males with long hair styles, like ponytails.

    - Long male Pandaren cloaks.

    - Blood Elf males with long cloaks - because of their stance, the end of the cloak points out awkwardly at the lower legs. Long staves and two-handed swords go straight through it.

    It's sad how it seems every piece of armour and every form of weapon is tested on a human (fe)male. Heck, look at the bow animation - Human males are one of the few racial genders in game that actually shoots an arrow PROPERLY. None of the "Lol, I can shoot a target without even aiming" crap races like male Night Elves and male Worgen do.
    "Not one moment for granted". - Steve Cortez

    Currently playing World of Warcraft and the Mass Effect trilogy. Not at the same time, of course. I'm not an octopus.

  14. #14
    This is one of the reasons I do not play a tauren anymore. They are SO bad now its horrible. That and walking anywhere that has a roof makes your camera angle hit the floor.

    Moment Tauren get a new model I am going DK tauren again + Tauren shaman,

  15. #15
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    16,495
    Quote Originally Posted by NatureDrake View Post
    I do agree that some clipping issues are just pathetic. I find it silly how some races suffer clipping issues. Your Worgen example is brilliant, because their cloaks clip with ANYTHING that goes on your back. I feel nothing but pity for Worgen protection warriors. It seems the only class that is completely unaffected by the Worgen clipping is the Rogue, only because none of their weapons go on their back. Staves, shields, and all ranged weapons demand that you hide your cloak. It even limits character choice a little - I love wearing cloaks, so on my Worgen Warlock I refuse to equip staves simply because I'd have to hide my cloak.
    Saying that, look at the picture of my troll monk, notice how the belt he has on, which blizzard hyped so much about having a unique form of animation to anything before it... yet it clips into my trolls leg.

    I mean, do they even test any armor, at all, on any other race, or do they just slap it on a human model and say 'right, that looks good on them that'll do'.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans Simulacrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    My point was not that clipping problems don't exist, but that they have to be considered far more than with a custom modeled NPC.

    Jin'rokh, for example, never had to be tested on nether rays, carpets, and other weird mounts, or any mount at all. Nor did he have to have various shoulder checked to insure they don't blatantly stick through his head.
    They've never done that for anything. Vanilla races have vanilla sets where shoulders go through their heads, where weapons dig into the ground, weapons that don't attach to their arms, etc.. So do blood elves. And probably every other race. Blood elf males even have THEIR OWN BEARDS CLIP INTO THEIR CHESTS. Have you seen blood elf female cloaks and how those behave? It's almost perverse. Never mind all the hair clipping that's ridiculous on everything.

    Anyway, clipping is clearly super way down on the list of things to care about.
    Dr Johnson, they said: “we are delighted to find that you’ve not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”
    “Ladies, said dr Johnson, “I can congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

  17. #17
    What is REALLY REALLY bothering me isn't the long time it's taking. It's that they constantly claim it's a WIP, but ABSOLUTELY AVOID to show any progress.

    Buu <= WHY I LOVE TO PLAY HUNTERS! => Pendleton

  18. #18
    Field Marshal Garrikk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    69
    I hope they bring different races/styles of characters as well.
    Dark Iron dwarves come to mind or maybe a diff race of trolls that you can play as.
    Not only would it be fun to play as different races but it would be AWESOMESAUCE for RP.

    Also tattoos plz

  19. #19
    To be honest as a game designer I'm glad they are not showing their designs yet to avoid uneducated criticism. Personally I am in love with all of my WoW Characters both in how they look and how they animate. I've had them how many years now? haha

    I'd rather them take their time with these new models and nail it.

    As far as clipping goes. Clipping is often a better solution to animation in a low polygon setting than some of the alternatives. Having a character model be both low polygon and look natural when animating is no easy feat and I'd say bliz has done wonders with the resources available to them.

    That's not to say some of the clipping issues cannot be addressed with these new models.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,706
    They've been "working" on the new models for years now.

    So I expect to see new characters and new textures in old gear, or at least no clipping anymore. But that takes long for sure.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
    To be honest as a game designer I'm glad they are not showing their designs yet to avoid uneducated criticism. Personally I am in love with all of my WoW Characters both in how they look and how they animate. I've had them how many years now? haha

    I'd rather them take their time with these new models and nail it.

    As far as clipping goes. Clipping is often a better solution to animation in a low polygon setting than some of the alternatives. Having a character model be both low polygon and look natural when animating is no easy feat and I'd say bliz has done wonders with the resources available to them.

    That's not to say some of the clipping issues cannot be addressed with these new models.
    I totally agree with you there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •