Gear Chase needs a deeper reason for it?

In MMO's we play to improve our character's item level but for what reason?

Currently the gear chase is to facilitate the next tier of raids/dungeons but what if you don't enjoy that content?
    Not only that but what do you do after achieving the max item level? What activity is there to enjoy after you finish the gear chase?
    Do the same dungeons/raids again? For what purpose?

Possible solutions:
    -Leaderboards of DPS and Healing for different bosses
    -Challenging solo campaigns & Scenarios
    -Bosses droping items to craft gear (motivation to kill the same bosses over and over until you get all items to craft the gear)
    -Extra loot for top DPS'ers and a ingame announcement to your raid/party
    -More leaderboards
    -Challenge Modes (*already ingame*)

Out of ideas to how prolong the game's longevity after you finish the gear chase.
    Last edited by Shadowpunkz; 2016-12-07 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    In MMO's we play to improve our character's item level but for what reason?

Currently the gear chase is to facilitate the next tier of raids/dungeons but what if you don't enjoy that content?
    Not only that but what do you do after achieving the max item level? What activity is there to enjoy after you finish the gear chase?
    Do the same dungeons/raids again? For what purpose?

Possible solutions:
    -Bosses droping items to craft gear (motivation to kill the same bosses over and over until you get all items to craft the gear)
    -More leaderboards

Out of ideas to how prolong the game's longevity after you finish the gear chase.

I played for eight years and never really got into the gear chase. Did I like getting powerful gear? Sure... but it was never a huge focus of my play.

I was more interested in the story / collecting / crafting side of WoW. That said, I had a PvP phase (out of boredom) for about a year, so gear advances became important there for a while. And then after I got my Battlemaster title, I dropped out of the gear race and returned to my roots.

When I did my first LFR (in Cata), I thought it was the most awesome thing in the world because I could finally (after so many years) take part in the story. I did it once on two different characters but had no real interest at all in the gear that dropped there. In MoP, I was sad when I discovered that I would need to run LFR enough to "gear up" so that I could run the LFR version of the next raid when it came out... so I basically never did LFR again after the initial 2 runs in Cata.
    Last edited by Wingspan; 2016-09-14 at 10:10 PM.

For what purpose?
    ----------

can agree with some of that, but top dps isn't always a good thing, if you're tunnel visioning to dps, but constantly standing in bad, just not enough to kill you, all you're doing is stressing the healer out, change that to 'took the least damage' maybe for tank vs healer, it changes who gets it, as rolls, you want chances of extra gear/recipe/etc, you click yes and you n the tank /roll at the end

the more direct damage everyone else takes from agro, vs how many people die, can give roll modifiers, (bad tank lets ppl keep getting it, -10 roll, their death wouldn't count against healer)
    vs, no deaths and keeping agro, means, no roll modifiers..
    maybe add in a seperate roll for max interrupts?

as far as the purpose to gain new gear? it's already there, so you aren't a hindrance to the group you're with.
    if you raid, you won't need dungeon gear. if you don't raid, but do dungeons, you won't want to be a hindrance, and if you don't do either, none of the options you listed even count.

but...max damage, shou'ldn't count, unless classes are homogenized to the point of doing the exact same damage if played properly, not even perfectly, just played to a tolerable level. (because you won't find as many mythic raiders, who won't need the extra gear, as you will find people who may need the extra gear, not able to dps as much as that random mythic raider)

so yeah...basing it off dps done is a bad idea.
    but avoidable damage avoided/interrupts/other things, could indeed work.

also don't agree with leaderboards for non-cm dungeons.

you've an idea that could be padded out, so not only tanks n healers get benefits, but a good dps(who interrupts and avoids damage) can also get bonus's, that IS a good idea.
    dps need some love to, longer que's and no benefits for carrying groups(for the rare quality dps you find in heroics) they do need some bonii (lol)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Possible solutions:
    -More leaderboards
    Leaderboard might work provided everyone is equal, which they are not. And it is also very situational. If someone is dedicated to "handling" duty, such as kiting etc, then how do you measure that? The only way that would work is solo based on time. Even then tanks and healers will not be able to compete.

A leaderboard of time raid to completion could work. Athene did a pop cast for charity and it was interested to watch so it is possible. A leaderboard based on time run.

Transmog gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    as far as the purpose to gain new gear? it's already there, so you aren't a hindrance to the group you're with.
    But that's part of the problem. The reason should be "because it's fun" not "not to be a hindrance".
    It should be a fun community competition for everyone to have fun.

But that's part of the problem. The reason should be "because it's fun" not "not to be a hindrance".
    It should be a fun community competition for everyone to have fun.
    who says it cant be both?
    i don't find holding groups back fun, so i did not raid with my guild, on christan-darkspear, because they were on mythic, they offered, i declined. i didn't know fights at all, never even watched a vid, i did a couple LFR's but was like ffs...to annoying. on my main tank hakujaden, my main from mop i didn't even LFR, except, maybe, once don't remember.

for that though, what you said, it is a matter of opinion, do you find it fun going into an ilvl820 mythic pug, sweet talking your way in with ilvl800, and then dying repeatedly? or not being able to keep heals up, or being a squishy tank, depending on role?

for short, the two are tied together.

now, there should indeed be some lenience when it comes to this, are you with a guild group, or friends, who are wanting to do a mythic, and don't mind carrying you?
    sure, go ahead, join em and have fun, it's not fun for me, but it may be fun for others.

but you want to join a pug, and be a hindrance, and think thats fun?

i'm just trying to understand where you're coming from, because hindering others for me at least, takes the entirety of the fun out of playing. even if its an open offer.
    please let me know your opinion on that, for some people the two may not be tied together and they have fun hindering others. if that isn't it, tell me what it is?

Speaking for myself, I improve my gear to be generally more effective against mobs. At the beginning of 110 the average mob of about 1 million hp took way too long to kill to my liking and I took quite a bit of damage in the process. Now at ilvl 815 it's better, but still not ideal. So, it's about empowerment for me, not so much as practical uphill battle to reach for tougher content, but to do content I like more effectively.

LFR is as high as I go with this attitude. If I cared to do normal or higher, I'd consider my ilvl more carefully.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    i'm just trying to understand where you're coming from, because hindering others for me at least, takes the entirety of the fun out of playing. even if its an open offer.
    please let me know your opinion on that, for some people the two may not be tied together and they have fun hindering others. if that isn't it, tell me what it is?
    I'm trying to say that the motivation to get gear should be "it will be fun when i get max item level because...*something fun is waiting for me to be played*"
    Not because i will no longer be an hindrance to others. That is good but is not fun gameplay waiting for you.

I'm trying to say that once you get max item level the game ends instead of begining. (apart from challenge modes)

you could do it (the content) because you enjoy it, a concept completely alien to nowadays audience

I think the OP's entire point stems from a false pretense.

If you're playing an MMO just to run the gear treadmill then you've already kind of lost.

I play an MMO to have a fun, social gaming experience. The gear rewards are secondary and mostly just a gating system to prevent me from gobbling up all the content too quickly.

When I get to the point where all I'm doing is running the treadmill for the sake of the treadmill that's when it's time to unsub and wait for next expansion.

I'm trying to say that the motivation to get gear should be "it will be fun when i get max item level because...*something fun is waiting for me to be played*"
    Not because i will no longer be an hindrance to others. That is good but is not fun gameplay waiting for you.

I'm trying to say that once you get max item level the game ends instead of begining. (apart from challenge modes)
    when you tie having fun to the gear chase itself, then doing it to not be a hinderence to others, therefor ruining your own fun, also becomes a factor

if you take the two things apart from each other
    1. will the gearchase be fun? (yes and no)

and entirely separate

2. will the dungeons / heroics /mythics / raids be fun?
    (yes, yes, idk yet, and not out yet)

leaderboards for CM's worked and were fun to strive to, because everyones gear was changed to the same ilvl, it meant something.
    doing that for mythics? who has had the best luck with Tforged / best friends / etc?

the question doesn't become who's the best(unless you rate it as platinum for top 100, gold 101-200, silver....etc not giving any ratings or times, because while the group ranked 50 might have the best players, they could of gotten screwed on TFdrops, and in no way can compete with a slightly worse, but still amazing group who got 30 seconds faster on the dungeon, but are loaded in TF gear.

at that point, it wouldn't be fun at all, there's no chase for the best time because you know someone with more luck than you but slightly less skill, will beat you out.
    CM's it worked, in general, leaderboards won't work.
    leaderboards for solo campaigns are the same thing, did X person get more TF than Y person who is a bit better than X?

boxes for top dps, leads to people tunnel visioning to the point they SHOULD of died, if the healer wasn't going to burn mana on them, puts the whole group at risk of a wipe and stresses healer out to no end, also, classes are not made equally, and the person with better luck with TF/legendaries, is once again at an advantage

none of that would be fun, i mean, thank you for thinking outside the box, but just to much wrong with a lot of those ideas.

bosses dropping crafting gear would be nice,

but they drop blood of sargeras, which if you look at news, there will be a vendor you trade in blood for crafting mats. so that will be in game.
    thankfully, because not having crafting mats come from garrisons is annoying.

if you mean specific items from a boss you need to craft new gear, say BossX's fingernail, to craft a shield (yes i know artifact weps give artifact shields, just as an example)

the issue then becomes farming that boss over and over for a fingernail, or the fingernails becoming extremely common after a time because more people are getting them mas drops, than have bars/ores to make the shields.
    market gets flooded and you groan when you get a fingernail instead of a piece of gear you can DE for dust.

I'm having lots of fun gear chasing right now (something i don't do in years)

Mythic+ is a big solution to adding endgame content but this only means that the fun is within the gear chase and the fun ends when you complete it.
    Which is really sad i think Blizzard should improve on that.

How i don't know but the fun should start when you complete the gear chase not while you are doing it.