Motherboard upgrade! - $250 dollar ish.

I am looking into upgrading my motherboard soonish, right now I am running an MSI P67-GD45, which is decent, but it does not really have the features I want / decent overclocking capabilities.

Along with this new motherboard, I might buy an i5-3570k, since from what I can understand, my 2600k will not fit most newer motherboards because it's not socket 2011. I might bump that up to a 3770k.

I am purely a gamer, and wish for something with excellent overclocking at a sensible price, preferably below $300 dollars somewhere.
    So far I have been looking at a MSI Z77A-GD65. I know most people are sporting ASUS / AsRock motherboards, but there's no brand fanboying and I am open to anything as long as it will fit everything I have.

I don't know if this is too much to ask for, but perhaps a mobo where the SATA 3.0 ports are not located like right under where the graphics card would be (sarcasm, but I want this ;_. I can only use 2/6 of my current SATA ports, because I can not fit the connectors under the graphics card, and I got optical drives and several SSD's plus a HDD.
    Last edited by Azortharion; 2013-01-25 at 02:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The upgrade from 2600k will be a waste of money, there's very little difference between 3770k & 2700k.

Since I noticed you were from Denmark, I'd suggest you this: http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/7...lga1155-socket

It's hands down the best value Z77 motherboard in Denmark, with it's pricepoint of 900kr.

The 2011 sockets are only used by i7-38xx-39xx, and you don't need that since there basically isn't any performance difference between them when you compare a 3570k to a 3960x.

TL;DR, don't upgrade your CPU, it'll be a waste of money and only netting you 2-5% performance increase. If you do want to overclock, get the Z77 Extreme4.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

I agree with Inux, the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 is a great choice.

I also agree with him in regards to upgrading your CPU, the 3570K is not a big enough increase from the 2600K to warrant the $200+ purchase.

Like he said, the 2600K and the 3570K are both socket 1155, meaning they fit in the same motherboards.

Alright, settled pretty quickly then.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to find me a link to a Danish dealer, too. Computersalg's main office is a 5 min walk from me. :>

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphoric View Post
    Alright, settled pretty quickly then.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to find me a link to a Danish dealer, too. Computersalg's main office is a 5 min walk from me. :>
    This is exactly why people should come here and ask before just going to buy something

+2 vote for Inux's suggestion btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Computersalg has excellent sevice and RMA, quite quick delivery too.

Enjoy
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory