Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SaburoDaimando View Post
    And you wonder why I'd rather go to a grocery store(Especially the one I work at), Costco, or Target than Wal-Mart.
    i usually dont go to wal mart not just because of their shady practices but because they don't have the selection in our area that our local stores have.(especially when it comes to fish) also most of their cd's are the ones with swear words edited out.....lame. id rather not have my music being edited every 30 seconds. i am not surprised that wal mart has pulled a move like this.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

This is just disgusting, another result of this much freedom in capitalism.

Kinda surprised at the change, actually. Was more expecting them to go more mechanized, like Amazon, and let people use smartphones/PC's to place orders online, then just hit a pickup window to grab their items and go home.

Machines are nice. They don;t complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thehealbus View Post
    This is just disgusting, another result of this much freedom in capitalism.
    Another result alongside the progress humanity has made in the past centuries. Thank you capitalism. Thank you economic liberty.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

If only you people knew what hospitals are planning to do and what they are already putting into effect because of Obamacare, then none of you would have supported it in the first place. You think Obamacare is gonna make things better? HAHAHA. Can't wait to see the smirks wiped off of people's faces when they realize that Obamacare is going to make things much, much worse than what it was before. The administration at the hospital that I'm working at is already planning ways to compensate for all the money they're going to be losing when Obamacare goes into full effect (laying people off, cutting hours, no longer giving raises, cutting benefits and 401ks, charging more to the patients who they know can afford to pay it, denying services and exams to people because they can't afford to hand shit out for free, etc, etc). The list goes on and on. They are already having all the departments experiment and come up with ways to cut corners and do as little as possible to get the job done. Yeah, it sounds terrible, but unfortunately, Obamacare is the cause of it all. Be sure to thank Mr. Obama the next time you're denied a life saving exam because the hospital you're at is just trying to stay open and afloat.

And that's just at hospitals. Other places of employment are going to feel the repercussions as well. Say goodbye to your raises, hours, and benefits people.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2013-01-26 at 05:57 AM.

Its America, hardly surprising. The lower bracket will always be exploited cause they can be. What happens when your bottom of the food chain
    Does Warlock Stuffz

Businesses are using health care as an excuse to gouge their own workforce. They receive tax breaks to help offset the costs of providing health care for full time employees so any business that cries they are going to go broke over this are bald face liars (Papa Johns, Taco Bell, Wal-Mart) etc. These businesses sadly take advantage of the ignorance regarding these issues and blame everything on the government. I hear people all the time blaming Obama for them losing their hours and I just shake my head.

Not to mention how Wal-Mart takes out life insurance policies on their own employees who have NO insurance and names themselves the beneficiaries. What a sweet heart company to work for, 'You don't work enough hours to get health insurance? Great. If you die we get money, thanks!'

Oh and AIG one of the 'too big to fail' companies we the taxpayers bailed out a few years ago, well they are doing so well now they're considering suing the government for unfair terms of their own bailout that they agreed to. The bailout that was a helluva lot better than going bankrupt which was their only other option. Taxpayers paid for that shit and now they want to turn around and sue US?? Corporate America has fallen so out of touch with reality they can't even comprehend how this is a bad thing.
    Last edited by Budong; 2013-01-26 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Maybe you shouldnt be so damn entitled. How about earning your benefits. Go join the military and serve your country instead of just benefiting from those of us who did. You get full benefits while enlisted as well as pay, and when you get out, then you can get a salaried job at Walmart with benefits if you want to
    How about people who physically can't do it? Me personally I work out 5 times a week and try to keep up with weights etc. but one problem with the service is I can't join and that's because of my hip and that I can't run fast/far. I was going to join the navy to hopefully become at SRO (Senior Reactor Operator) as I have a degree in the Nuclear field but I couldn't due to my hip. Sometimes people can't make it in and sometimes people just aren't cut for military so now I'm just working on finding full time employment and getting a CS degree while I'm at it.

lol @ everybody blaming Walmart.. This subforum is like 70% liberals according to recent memory.. You guys voted for this.. Now enjoy it. WTF did you expect to happen? My veterinary office is doing the same thing, and the manager is getting asked by EVERYBODY for more and more hours. Tough luck... This is the change you voted for and support. But yeah, keep attacking businesses!

I seriously wonder what % of America holds FULL TIME jobs now adays, and in the next 2 years to come.
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-01-26 at 08:30 AM.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    lol @ everybody blaming Walmart.. This subforum is like 70% liberals according to recent memory.. You guys voted for this.. Now enjoy it. WTF did you expect to happen? My veterinary office is doing the same thing, and the manager is getting asked by EVERYBODY for more and more hours. Tough luck... This is the change you voted for and support. But yeah, keep attacking businesses!

I seriously wonder what % of America holds FULL TIME jobs now adays, and in the next 2 years to come.
    I will attack businesses because it is their choice to do so. They're refusing to aid in social equality and make America a better place. Hell, the American government is far, far too soft on big businesses.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post

Perhaps we were expecting that corporations wouldn't act like TODDLERS? Make no mistake, this is not a change Walmart needed to make so they could stay in business, it was a change they made because they could.

Perhaps for future legislation you'd rather we just adopt a strategy of cowardice and appeasement so that working conditions remain crappy, but at a sort of "standard" of crappyness?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    I honestly don't see the problem here. Any employer is entitled to make their employment conditions worse (as long as it doesn't affect currently binding employment contracts). No one is forced to accept these new worse terms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    I honestly don't see the problem here. Any employer is entitled to make their employment conditions worse (as long as it doesn't affect currently binding employment contracts). No one is forced to accept these new worse terms.
    I always like your idealist attitude. Have you ever spent time in small-town America?
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

So it's just another papa johns .11 up price = bad 2 million free pizza = good?
    "We don't need Blizz to nerf the content. We need it to be less terrible." - Totalbiscuit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    I always like your idealist attitude. Have you ever spent time in small-town America?
    No, and such experience is unnecessary.

Yes, it might suck for new employees, but it might also backfire for the employers if they can't get enough applicants or if the employee turnover is too high. Either way, the employer is certainly within its right to offer worse employment contracts for subsequent new employees.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2013-01-26 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bismark666 View Post
    Its America, hardly surprising. The lower bracket will always be exploited cause they can be. What happens when your bottom of the food chain
    It depends on the company I think. I was reading reviews on how it is to work in IKEA in the US(yeah I know being swedish I was curious) and from what I could gather going through +200 reviews, there are benefits offered to part timers etc, paid sick days, paid vacation, insurance, 401k etc.

Of course that could just be AstroTurfing(fake reviews to make the company look good) at large... but it seemed pretty truthful, since almost every review complained about higher managment being a bit like headless chickens(only thing they bashed in general) ;P

Example
    From Conshohocken, PA

I worked at IKEA as a sales co-worker for almost two years while I was finishing my college degree nearby. The environment within the store was much more professional and competent than my previous experience at another retail employer. I made many close friends there of all ages as walks of life and the co-worker population was quite diverse in age, background, nationality, and ethnicity.

The customers are usually fun to work with but as with any job there are often difficult, ignorant, and disrespectful customers also. The company encourages customers to educate themselves through their extensive communications so that assistance needed is limited to necessary encounters.

There are a lot of factors that go into being happy with a position in the company and I think I made it in at pretty good spot. I was lucky enough to be hired in one of BAs (Business Areas) as a sales co-worker and under competent and motivating management. I felt respected by my co-workers as well as most of the management team. This respect is not just assumed however. While as a new co-worker you are given a certain amount of respect and leeway it is quickly learned by everyone around you what type of worker you are and this greatly effects your experiences and opportunities in the future. I worked very hard despite my limited hours as a part-timer but earned the respect of my manager as well as those in nearby departments. This allowed opportunities to gain more responsibility within my job which were personally rewarding and makes the day go faster. As far a financially rewarding, not really. At the same time however I have seen positions which are less desireable because of the management team in that area and high turn-over rates almost often correlated with management (although I doubt anyone at the company would admit that).

The pay for a retail position was better than most in my area but still not great. Raises were more frequent than I expected but often negligible. There is definitely a large gap between management pay and those under them. Getting to management would take a very long time. Often just getting a full-time position was difficult. Many people that work there have been there for a long-long time so as a new-comer there is a long line of potential management candidates ahead of you unless you work extremely hard to be seen as management material. I knew people who had been working there for 10+ years who were still trying to creep their way up the company ladder.

Scheduling was pretty flexible with about a months notice needed for request/offs and a bit more for vacation.

Benefits were great, paid vacation, flex holiday, personal, and sick time was earned as a reasonable rate. I didn't use the available medical or dental coverage but I never heard complaints from those who did.

In all this was a fun place to work and I'm very glad I had the opportunity to work at IKEA. If your looking into working there part-time, just looking for something to pass the time, or have a real passion for retail or home-furnishing/decorating I would definitely go for it. It's Fun!
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-26 at 11:44 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    It disappoints me that you target Wal-Mart for this when many other companies have been doing it for decades. Wal-Mart is only a small part of the problem, what you really need to be looking closer at is the entire concept of "private enterprise".

I honestly think retired military (especially veterans) deserve jobs over any civvie. That includes myself. These people cut us a blank check for everything about them up to and including their lives. They deserve nothing but the best treatment available when they come home.

That said, I don't necessarily agree with Walmart's policy of only hiring people on a part-time/temporary basis... I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with what they're doing, though... provided they let prospective employees know that their situation will be as such. Everything is acceptable as long as both parties know exactly what they're getting into.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    That said, I don't necessarily agree with Walmart's policy of only hiring people on a part-time/temporary basis... I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with what they're doing, though... provided they let prospective employees know that their situation will be as such. Everything is acceptable as long as both parties know exactly what they're getting into.
    I'm pretty sure Walmart doesn't want to hire part-time/temporary only, otherwise they would've done it pre-Obamacare, right?
    But their hand was "forced" because of changes in healthcare law.

Oh, and about the veteran thing, you do realize that's just a marketing gimmick right?
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2013-01-26 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    Maximising profits usually trumps being nice in a capitalist society, I'm afraid. As much as I support Obama, the way the healthcare system is implemented lead to this, nothing else.
    you're saying it wasn't walmart that changed their hiring policy, but it was obama?
    wow.