Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shennanigans View Post
    The change in hiring practices isn't unique to Walmart. Walmart is just first to be pointed out because it has such a history of hate.
    Hence I said "companies like Walmart", as in there are many. Not "just Walmart."
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    You mean like my coworker who has a degree in computer programming.
    Uh...how is it even possible to not have a job in that field? I'm employed and I still had headhunters spamming my cell with calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Uh...how is it even possible to not have a job in that field? I'm employed and I still had headhunters spamming my cell with calls.
    Again, it's the market in the area :P Fewer availabilities or an over abundance of people in the job market looking for the same kind of work.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Again, it's the market in the area :P Fewer availabilities or an over abundance of people in the job market looking for the same kind of work.
    I wasn't aware there were areas in which tech wasn't in high demand.

Ugh dont be annoying...

10+ Year Old Account
    Possibly there's a criminal history? Or maybe it's a person living in a small town unwilling to move to where the jobs are?

My aunt was telling me about a 24 year old kid bitching that he couldn't find a good job in sales. She showed him jobs paying extremely well in B2B oil business sales in North Dakota, and he said he wouldn't apply because he didn't want to go to North Dakota. Then he continues to complain about not being able to get a job.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Ugh dont be annoying...
    It's the truth. Unless I'm in like Nowheresville, Idaho I really don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Possibly there's a criminal history? Or maybe it's a person living in a small town unwilling to move to where the jobs are?

My aunt was telling me about a 24 year old kid bitching that he couldn't find a good job in sales. She showed him jobs paying extremely well in B2B oil business sales in North Dakota, and he said he wouldn't apply because he didn't want to go to North Dakota. Then he continues to complain about not being able to get a job.
    Yeah it has to be something like that; there really is no other explanation.

High demand is good, but not when you've got twice the number of people looking for the work. Or the demand is unrealistic in their requirements. Most HR departments are so out of touch when it comes to recruitment especially for new kids coming right out of college with no work experience. If you don't fulfill the "X number of years" or "Certification A/B" they just toss the resume. Some places are hiring for "entry level" but tag on bullshit requirements that are not befitting an entry level applicant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope i'll be able to find jobs with my geography degree >.< I knew i should have done advanced GIS and not stopped after i complete Intermediate with a B...

Walmart has always pulled the dirty tricks to cut expenses. Seems like even with that people are still shopping there, so whats one more going to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I just hope i'll be able to find jobs with my geography degree >.< I knew i should have done advanced GIS and not stopped after i complete Intermediate with a B...
    GIS can be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

Moving across States is not the most feasible thing to if youre already living on minimum wage. its not impossible but its certainly not easy. And one example doesnt prove a point.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    They provide you money for your services, what you do with that money is up to you. Buy a pizza, soda or health care, its your dollar.

You also have to factor in what your doing for the poor people in the US who cant support themselves or have health care, your a great citizen and the joy of helping others should exceed your greed for money. Walmart makes too much money, you make too much money. Both are being taxed more since they dont need that much.

Its what the people voted for.
    They have slowly provided less and less money for them services as they have pushed most of their competition out of the area and now pays so little you can't support yourself. Sorry, but if I used what they paid me for healthcare I wouldn't have enough left in the month to buy a soda. I make under $1,000 a month in take home. If they paid the same now as when they got here after taking into account inflation and still hired mainly permanent full time than this wouldn't be an issue.

I am one of the poor people in the US who can't support themselves. I am the working poor right now. It isn't about greed on my part, I am not asking to live high on the hog, I am asking for the ability to at least provide for myself without having to rely on roommates and government aid. I would like the ability to actually have a family I could support without government aid but the fact of the matter is if me and my wife (if I had one) both worked at Walmart in it's current shape, a 2 income household STILL would not be enough to provide a living without turning to government aid.

Walmart makes too much money, their employees who work below the level of store manager do not make enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    High demand is good, but not when you've got twice the number of people looking for the work. Or the demand is unrealistic in their requirements. Most HR departments are so out of touch when it comes to recruitment especially for new kids coming right out of college with no work experience. If you don't fulfill the "X number of years" or "Certification A/B" they just toss the resume. Some places are hiring for "entry level" but tag on bullshit requirements that are not befitting an entry level applicant.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...loyment-rates/

Here are five less popular majors, all requiring advanced math skills, that enjoy low unemployment:

Astrophysics/astronomy 0%
    Geological and geophysics engineering 0%
    Physical science 2.5%
    Geosciences 3.2%
    Math/computer science 3.5%
    That's pretty much considered fully employed by most economists.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    move to Western Canada, oil companies here are paying retarded amounts still for GIS professionals.

I work at Walmart, one of my managers I am on a social basis just told me of a disturbing policy change the higher ups are talking about implementing.

As of a few years ago we already no longer hire full time employees at all unless they are retired military in which case we slingshot them to salaried positions if they can.

Since the Affordable Healthcare Act we they now talking about instituting a new one.

If put into effect, all civilians will only longer be hired on a temporary basis and just cycled out and rehired for a new season as needed. The exception to this are retired military who are to be offered permanent full time positions.

So, the only way to work a position for the company where they would actually be required to offer benefits are to be someone who doesn't need them so Walmart can mooch off tricare since it will not be able to mooch off Medicare and Medicaid so much anymore......

God this company makes me sick but I have no choice but to work here till another job comes along which is limited due to a back injury I sustained in basic which I am currently dealing with the Department of Veteran Affairs for to get the VA Hospital to look at it.

Can't Walmart get sued for a change like this or something? I am not a lawyer but I really hope so cause as it stands now, they are already one of the most taxpayer subsidized private company I have ever seen that is this destructive to the american economy and the american worker.
    Well Wal-Mart and companies like it DID warn that the "Affordable Care Act" (often called Obama-care) would result in less hours and job cuts. Now that the Act has passed you're upset that Wal-Mart (and, by extension, other companies) are following through with that warning?

That's like me telling you not to lick the wall-socket or you'll get shocked. You lick it anyway. Then you blame me for the shock.

And, no, they can't be sued. As a private company Wal-Mart can set and amend their policies however they see fit within reason. In this case they are not being bias EXCEPT to offer a better deal to retired military which, by your own admission, they have always done.

Hate to say this but, well, you were warned. Everyone was warned that this sort of thing would happen. Now you can enjoy the "benefits" of not listening and pushing for the Affordable Care Act.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Moving across States is not the most feasible thing to if youre already living on minimum wage. its not impossible but its certainly not easy. And one example doesnt prove a point.
    I did it. I won't deny I had some help though. Even so, if you know you've got a job waiting for you when you get there, you can do it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...loyment-rates/

That's pretty much considered fully employed by most economists.
    Right but 3.5% are still without work in that field. Its impossible to imagine that one of them works at Wal_mart? I dont get what youre trying to prove?

I remember working at Wal-Mart for 1 day before quitting. Got hired by another competitor instead which is just as bad corporate wise to an extent but at least part time employee's got health care anyway (most likely due to our Union) so the bill didn't affect us at all.

They have slowly provided less and less money for them services as they have pushed most of their competition out of the area and now pays so little you can't support yourself. Sorry, but if I used what they paid me for healthcare I wouldn't have enough left in the month to buy a soda. I make under $1,000 a month in take home. If they paid the same now as when they got here after taking into account inflation and still hired mainly permanent full time than this wouldn't be an issue.

I am one of the poor people in the US who can't support themselves. I am the working poor right now. It isn't about greed on my part, I am not asking to live high on the hog, I am asking for the ability to at least provide for myself without having to rely on roommates and government aid. I would like the ability to actually have a family I could support without government aid but the fact of the matter is if me and my wife (if I had one) both worked at Walmart in it's current shape, a 2 income household STILL would not be enough to provide a living without turning to government aid.

Walmart makes too much money, their employees who work below the level of store manager do not make enough.
    Unless you're in management, working at Wal-Mart isn't a career. You're not supposed to be able to buy a house, etc by working there.